Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

One of my favorite hikes anywhere in the world. Have done it many times. Go early, go often.

Such a beautiful trail - so many lookouts and great views. Feels like you can see the whole island. This was a real highlight of my trip and I greatly recommend it to anyone visiting. The trail was not too difficult and my whole family was able to do it. We finished in a bit more than two hours and took lots of time to take pictures and look at the view. There are picnic tables at the top also so you could bring lunch and eat there.

The gate opens at 7am. I headed out ready to start the hike at dawn which was 5:45am, so had to wait til 7. Didn’t see that info anywhere on here, but saw some wild bunnies, a giant snail, and a nice sunrise while I was waiting. The trail is very nice. The mountains around you are green and lush. You get great views across Kahului and the ridge. Waterfalls are visible in the distance, but no water near the trail. It rains often over there, so expect the trail to be slippery in some places.

Very nice hike. Very muddy and cloudy when I went. Pretty good workout. Bring a walking stick very slippery on the way down.

We really loved the hike! In our opinion, the most beautiful in Maui. It’s all the way up the hill, good cardio and legs workout, but the views and the landscape worth it.
Some tips:
• there are two parking lots, drive to the nearest parking to the trail and just wait for a spot!
• get there early! Clouds move fast..at noon they usually cover the trail and you can’t take advantage of the views (one of the most espectacular things on this trail)
• bring a lot of water
• use hiking shoes..it’s really moody

It’s a cardio workout with nice valley and ocean views. The trail is too well-groomed for my liking. Too easy—a bit boring.

Challenging but worth it! Amazing views throughout the whole hike, very rewarding when you get to the top! Be careful coming down as it can get very steep and slippery!

Pretty challenging hike... 5 miles round trip. I'd bring a walking stick for the way down as it's pretty slippery. Awesome views throughout!

Best hike we did in Maui. Breathtaking views of lush green mountains and ocean. As an active family we were challenged and worked up a sweat but not to more then we could handle. The drive and hike were stunning. Glad reviewers mentioned to park In the top lot or we would have added lots of steps.

Ahhhhmazing hike! extremely steep in the beginning but it’s paved so it helps. My GPS said its 116 floors so be prepared. I didn’t have a walking stick or real hiking boots although I did have trail shoes but would have preferred more grip. The way down seems more difficult than up. The views the entire way are incredible. The waterfall is on the right about 1/3 of the way up. It’s not close. Also be sure to drive past the overflow parking straight to the start of the hike or else your in for an extra 2 mile hike.

The most gorgeous hike I’ve ever been on! The first half is entirely uphill and not easy, but the views are worth it! Bring water, sunscreen, and bug spray. We saw some people with walking poles/sticks— we did the hike without those items but they might be helpful as some of the downhill parts are slippery.

Good hike but No waterfall!!
Very steep hike all the way up!
Be prepared.

It’s usually overcast after 10am and can’t see the views but still a pretty hike.

Iconic. Very typical, Hawaiian hike. First your hiking through some woods, then you’ll be presented some beautiful views of the landscape and the sea, than you walk through a mystical valley, which in my case was a bit misty, you know; those grey, tiny clouds wandering around, almost touching the ground and then some beautiful views at the top of the green mountain.

Do it! Absolutely awesome! Bring lots of water and be prepared to sweat!!

Beautiful hike, well worth the 2 mile ascent to the top! Bring a lot of water, I didn't time myself but I did the entire trail in a little under 2 hour and let me tell you something, you will break a sweat!

Beautiful!!

The views are the best part about this hike! Once i reached the top, i got to speak with a few locals who told me that in winter the trail could/will get very muddy. I guess i got lucky with the weather! Anyways, if you love to have a nice hike and love awesome Views from above, this is has to be on your To-Do list in Maui.

Great trail.

Amazing! This trail is rated moderate but don't let the rating fool you, it is 2 miles of uphill to the peak. I carried my 7 mth old daughter and it was a serious work out! not for the faint hearted. It does have nice views and we found that the way down took half the time of going up. Well worth it but bring lots of water.

Beautiful hike. Not muddy at all on this trip, a few puddles easily avoided. Cloudy at the top (1735hrs).
Great workout, great terrain. Must do when on Maui. I cannot recommend approaching from the
Lahaina side as the road is super windy and a LOT of folks drive it on "Hawaiian time" It took me > 90 min from Kapalua.

What a muddy hike in the rain! It was pouring when I started, but cleared up by the 2nd view point. This hike, rain or shine, is totally worth it. The valley views, small waterfalls and lush greenery make it all worth it.

We did this hike several times in our 6 month stay in Maui. This hike will not disappoint. We picked this hike the most because of it's convenient location on the island. Breathtaking views for 90% of the hike. The first 10% is a wooded area.

I'm a hiking and fitness enthusiast. The climb is no joke. But the views made it worth it. Be ready for hella mud.

Incredibly muddy but otherwise a great hike. Probably would’ve had some awesome views too, but our heads were in the clouds :)

The trail has absolutely gorgeous views but holy cow is it muddy. Definitely prepare for a landslide of mud! It’s an incline almost the entire way up which makes coming down really difficult in the slippery mud. Again, gorgeous views!

Very muddy. Bring hiking poles and good shoes

Gate doesn't open until 7am. Lovely hike for a clear day!

Very nice short hike. Be prepared for mud.

Must do while in Maui. We completed the hike on a dry day but can see how it could get challenging when muddy. Lots of great photo opportunities.