Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

Great trail. We started around 8:30am, which was perfect. The temperature was ideal and the trail was fairly empty. It took us just under two hours with a short break on the top to enjoy the views and have a snack. It's a steady uphill most of the way, so it helps to be in good shape if you want to enjoy it and not be exhausted.

Spectacular views and a good workout! A must do for outdoors lovers when visiting Maui. 180 degree views of ocean, plus neighboring island, mountains and a few waterfalls (from a distance). We went on a drier day, so there were only a few slippery spots. We wore our Chacos and did fine with these. I would call this a moderate difficulty hike. It took us 2:15 of hiking time to complete the entire ~4 mile round trip, 2:40 if you count the break we took at the summit. NOTE: Trailhead open 7a-7p. Recommend going in the morning as we did to avoid clouds and rain. No restroom facilities.

Tough elevation climb but worth every step. Beautiful views.

One of my favorite hikes in Maui. Be prepared for a muddy trail & it's slippery on the way down. The views are amazing but eventually get obstructed by fog at higher elevation. Mountains covered with trees and foliage are lush & green. The weather gets chilly towards the end of the trail. Must do hike.

This is a wonderful hike to detach from day to day work and life stressors. I went when it was quite foggy yet it was cool to hike in an ominous atmosphere while taking in the sounds, smells and trail sights. It was like being wrapped up in an embrace by the fog and feeling like I owned the trail. It wasn't foggy until I got3/4 to the top though. It is slick and so wear shoes with good traction. Starting up the trail it is paved and the steepest part of the trail. Once you get to the dirt trail it is a lesser grade.
I am in good shape for 52 y/o and it took me 50 min to get to the top yet I didn't make more than 2 stops. There are very meaningful places to stop and enjoy the view for almost all fitness levels and if you aren't at your best fitness level, just take your time and don't be in a hurry. Take a few hrs and enjoy this incredible hike. You will be giving yourself a gift to do it.
If you are set on complete view, make sure you know when to go. I just spontaneously decided to go but I knew I would love it even with some fog.
Highly recommend.