Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

The views are the best part about this hike! Once i reached the top, i got to speak with a few locals who told me that in winter the trail could/will get very muddy. I guess i got lucky with the weather! Anyways, if you love to have a nice hike and love awesome Views from above, this is has to be on your To-Do list in Maui.

Great trail.

Amazing! This trail is rated moderate but don't let the rating fool you, it is 2 miles of uphill to the peak. I carried my 7 mth old daughter and it was a serious work out! not for the faint hearted. It does have nice views and we found that the way down took half the time of going up. Well worth it but bring lots of water.

Beautiful hike. Not muddy at all on this trip, a few puddles easily avoided. Cloudy at the top (1735hrs).
Great workout, great terrain. Must do when on Maui. I cannot recommend approaching from the
Lahaina side as the road is super windy and a LOT of folks drive it on "Hawaiian time" It took me > 90 min from Kapalua.

What a muddy hike in the rain! It was pouring when I started, but cleared up by the 2nd view point. This hike, rain or shine, is totally worth it. The valley views, small waterfalls and lush greenery make it all worth it.

We did this hike several times in our 6 month stay in Maui. This hike will not disappoint. We picked this hike the most because of it's convenient location on the island. Breathtaking views for 90% of the hike. The first 10% is a wooded area.

I'm a hiking and fitness enthusiast. The climb is no joke. But the views made it worth it. Be ready for hella mud.

Incredibly muddy but otherwise a great hike. Probably would’ve had some awesome views too, but our heads were in the clouds :)

The trail has absolutely gorgeous views but holy cow is it muddy. Definitely prepare for a landslide of mud! It’s an incline almost the entire way up which makes coming down really difficult in the slippery mud. Again, gorgeous views!

Very muddy. Bring hiking poles and good shoes

Gate doesn't open until 7am. Lovely hike for a clear day!

Very nice short hike. Be prepared for mud.

Must do while in Maui. We completed the hike on a dry day but can see how it could get challenging when muddy. Lots of great photo opportunities.

Loved this hike! It is a challenge and was a little muddy but the views were well worth it on a clear day. Can’t speak to how it would be with some cloud cover. Could see all of Haleakalā from the top which was beautiful. Paved section at the beginning is the most difficult in my opinion. It does level out some of the hike but there are some steep climbs too. Loved it overall!

Very muddy but excellent views all around!

Wonderfully muddy, amazing views and just long enough

Great trail.. a little muddy at the top but views/vistas along the way were great. Shade to start than open skies. Washrooms at base of hike (gates close at 7)

a beautiful hike, but very challenging due to the muddiness combined with the incline. total distance we logged was a little over four, more than All Trails documents.

we didn't get the view as we were mostly surrounded by cloud but even that was a magical experience. its was cool for most of the hike with the clouds blowing and almost no sun, but got really windy and cold at the peak. single picnic table and a viewpoint. probably easier in drier seasons, but near the rains it'll be very very very muddy. boots and hiking stick/poles recommended!! we wore boots and still slid around, though we saw plenty of people in tennis shoes and even a family in flip flops, don't know of they're pro or just foolish.

there is a view of a waterfall from afar midway through the hike, but you don't come near one. still a scenic and lush trail, come prepared and you'll enjoy it!

I had never done this hike because I preferred the swinging bridges hike that has since closed. Wow, it was breath taking and wonderful. Loved it!

One of my favorite views and environments

Awesome hike, trail was sunny and clear today until the top. Not much mud but well worth the hike for the views. We would have had a much different experience if it was muddy and the sun wasn’t out. Be prepared for the knee jarring start and steep climb halfway through.

great views every step of the trail, beware that they close the gate at 7 pm
a fact that I did not know, I have arrived there at 4pm just on time.
totally recommend this trial

The trek itself is definitely one to take while visiting Maui. Today however was one of the muddiest days the trail has ever had. Be prepared to trek through a bit of mud; it makes the climb down just as challenging as the climb to the summit. Start your day either early morning before the fog settles in or a little later in the afternoon once the fog burns off. The views are well worth the hike.

Awesome

Might have given this a five star except it was so cloudy when we did this hike so didn’t get any views at the top, also poured on the way down making the trail muddy and a bit treacherous. Definitely recommend hiking shoes in any weather given the grade. Good workout but doable for moderately fit novice hikers.

This trail is a great hike and the views are breathtaking the whole way up. I was glad I was wearing hiking shoes as it definitely helps to have some extra traction. We started up the trail at 7:45 am, stopping a lot to take pictures. Just after we left the top the clouds and a light rain came in making the trail very slippery and muddy. Total time on the trail was 3 1/2 hours.

Our hike was a bit of a bummer. We started at 9:30 am. The cloud cover was so thick that you couldn't see any of the beautiful views that you read about in other reviews. The trail was also very muddy due to recent rains, so it was difficult for small children to navigate. I have no doubt that it is a beautiful hike on a clear, dry day. But we didn't have that. I would start this hike early in the morning so that you beat the cloud cover, and pay attention to the weather before heading out. if you go on a day like we had, it's just a moderately difficult up and back hike with nothing much to see.

Awesome views! Quick to the top! 1-2 hours, depending on pace.

It was the best part of Maui for us, well this and snorkeling. The lookouts were absolutely stunning. Try to beat the fog rolling in or you won’t have much views from the top. Also this is rated moderate, but it’s basically 2 miles up hill and then 2 miles down hill. (I did just have a baby 4 months ago, but I would rate it hard for the fact that it’s ALL uphill, then your poor knees going down) but totally worth it, if you need to stop, wait until the wooden built lookout past 1 mile, it’s a gorgeous view even if you can’t make it farther :)

The hike was absolutely beautiful! It was like no other hike I have ever been on. My family and I went right after it had rained so the trail was very muddy and slippery, making it hard to hike up and even harder to hike down, but it was totally worth it! It took us just over two hours.