Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

This trail was very hard, but worth it. The first 15 minutes are arguably the hardest part, and once you get about 30-45 minutes in, you are rewarded w spectacular views. I started at 8am and was sweating the entire time, you should not need a coat unless it’s raining. It was very muddy, I made the mistake of wearing Chacos so it took me about 1.5 hours to the top and almost 2 hours to get down. I took my time and enjoyed it! I would do this trail again!

We started this trail around 730am. Took us 2 hours to do in total with some stops. The hike up can be a little difficult since it's pretty much all uphill but the views were so worth it. We were lucky that is was a beautiful sunny day but it sure made it hot. It can get muddy and a little slippery at times. Once we got the top it was so worth it. We made it just in time before the fog rolled in. So I highly recommend do to this hike early morning to beat the fog, heat, and the crowds. The hike down was much easier. Deff recommend this hike for people who love mountain views. Bring snacks and plenty of water

Great trail - we started at 8:30 and made it about halfway up before the clouds came in. So I would recommend starting earlier and wear hiking boots if you have them, the ground can be pretty muddy/slippery in areas.

Great views along the way. Unfortunately foggy when we were on the top.
Takes 1 hour (easy) up and 25 minutes down.

Breath taking views all around. But the trail was more difficult than anticipated. The way up took about 2.5 hours. Down took about 30 minutes. I would highly recommend hitting the trail before 8:00 to avoid crowds.

Awesome view! We were there on 9-Oct-2017, started hiking at 9:45 and finished at 12:15. It's a little bit late as the clouds covering the top a little bit. Maybe you should try from 08:00!

Amazing views!!

Beautiful and challenging hike. Pretty much all uphill to get to the top which can be difficult at times but the views and experience are worth it. Bring lots of water. Must do while in Maui!

Great Hike, breath taking views of the Western Maui reserve. Bring water and some snacks, the hike is definitely moderate and will make you sweat if you aren't in good shape. There are some awesome points to take pictures.

This is to about mile 1.6. The overlook just short of a mile is worth reaching. The trail steepens significantly after that, but climbs above the lower slopes of the ridge and gains great views along the northeast shore of the island.