Wai'ale Falls Trail

Wai'ale Falls Trail is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hilo, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

A 20 minute hike to a less busy waterfall. Park just past the bridge on the downstream side. Trailhead is on the north side of the stream. Watch the trail closely at times, sometimes taking the route closer to the water is not where you want to be. Eventually trail will open up and you'll be on top of the waterfall that was visible from the bridge. Continue boulder hopping and you can see another small waterfall.

I'm sure this is a beautiful trail, but I also don't want to get abducted while trying to see it.

I was about to begin the trail with my mom, when a car pulled over by where I was parked and the two locals inside kindly advised us against it. The man told us that a young man had been abducted in the last few weeks while hiking this trail, and although the views were lovely, that it was the type of area where people could hide and catch you if you weren't well-guarded. He mentioned that a group or burly-looking guy could probably manage, but not two ladies. Shame to be a woman at times like these.

Paying it forward - hopefully no one else gets hurt here.

A little muddy and overgrown. Some lookouts aren’t solid ground so look before stepping. Beautiful at the top!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nice falls ! You just have to park before or after the bridge and you will see the falls. We didn't take the trail to go upper falls but you can see them really well from the bridge !

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A little more overgrown, and our day was completely a rain day so it was muddy. But the view is great from the top.

Friday, December 09, 2016