Waiakeakua Falls

Waiakeakua Falls is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

One of the more secluded series waterfalls in Manoa Valley. Folllow GPS track for directions.

This has become my favorite trail on this little island, it feels like you've time traveled into some remote jungle. I've done it three times with my older Aussie pup and he handles it just fine. I brought a friend and his collie along recently and she (the pup) struggled a little, but was able to make it through just fine. This trail is actually pretty easy once you climb down/back up. It's best after a rain so the water is clear, but of course the climb will be muddy. There's plenty of ropes but we don't use them, there's only a couple sections where I have to help guide my pup. What I love about this trail is the beautiful lush jungle and all of the fun swimming spots/mini waterfalls. Once you get to the end the trail keeps going up and eventually connects to all of the other trails in the Manoa/Makiki area. Definitely a hidden gem.

Steep climb down but well worth it! Beautiful hike overall. Very buggy but manageable if you keep moving.

Straight up jungle, muddy and mosquito-y hike, but relatively easy. The trail that splits off and goes down to the waterfall trail isn't clearly marked, it's just a steep path down. If you're unsure follow the AllTrails map. My gps watch claims it's about 3.2 miles from the trailhead. Took about 2 hours because of the mud and tree roots.

Bridge #3 is covered by some fallen trees. Went to the bottom of the second falls and looks like someone removed the rope. Not much water flow but the pools along the way were very clear and nice to dip in.

A favorite hike of mine. Gets really muddy and buggy, so if you da kine who gets eaten, bring spray! Waterfall at the end can be difficult depending on rainfall, but even if you don't make it to the top it's worth it to experience a taste of Hawain jungle.

This is a great hike , I wouldn't call it hard at all though . More on the easy side .

Thursday, November 03, 2016

good work out, short, nice view in the end!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

great app

geocaching
Saturday, December 12, 2015

Wow. Just wow! Really tough at times and a killer work out. Bring a friend and you can climb some tough rope lined cliffs to the top of some falls. Be very careful if it has rained much in past few days

geocaching
Saturday, November 07, 2015

Fun hike. Didn't climb to the top... Maybe next time. Muddy in spots, trees to climb over, streams to cross, old houses and car along the way, pretty much a great adventure. Take plenty of bug spray, the mosquitos were out for blood

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I couldn't find the entrance to this trail. I ended up just hiking kolowana and pu'u pia trail. advice? those two trails are pretty hard in the pouring rain btw.

Monday, June 01, 2015

Amazing hike. We went in the pouring rain (which honestly was a stupid idea, but we survived.) and the waterfalls were beautiful and gushing. It took WAY longer than expected and I didn't climb the long rope over the big waterfall because it was too treacherous with all the water coming down. This is a hike I will never ever forget. So incredible.