Wahiawa Hills Trail

Wahiawa Hills Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wahiawa, Hawaii that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and fly fishing and is best used from May until November.

This is a loop trail that takes you through paper bark forest and other invasive plants (e.g. uluhe, etc). The trail is a bit of an up and down jaunt with the final reward being a dip in the stream. Be careful if it is raining as the stream can swell.

finding the first descent was the hardest part. good swimming hole at the bottom.

Do not take kids on this trail!! The fire that roared through here has made it dangerous. Hundreds of down trees and many more to follow. Plus land slides. Trail was about 4.8 miles according to mine and my girlfriends GPS. It is a very slow trail. Lots of steep elevation changes make it difficult. River crossings depends on rain fall, but be prepared to get your feet wet. There are pink markers to help guide the way, most where helpful, but you could very easily get turned around if you don’t pay attention. Views are ok, different then most hikes. We had to follow All Trails tracks in the beginning to find the right trail. Basically stay left of the military fence and head straight down. The trail isn’t very apparent at first. Download the trail to help guide you. Good luck!!

Great option for a difficult trail near Wahiawa/Mililani. Not the best marked route, so recommend starting earlier in the day to ensure maximum daylight.

Nice trail, muddy at times, but cool scenic trek through the ewa weather forest.

It's a very pretty trail! it's marked fairly well, but you have to keep an eye out for the markers. like other comments said take Calforina Ave. park along the street.. once you walk along the water tower by the paper trees, make a left and go down.. if you go right, it's along military training grounds.. after about a 3/4th mile or so there will be a tree with pink ties at a 4 way cross, take the trail right going up to continue along and up the ridge where it opens up so beautifully and gets more airy. we took our 5 year daughter and Tula our son we turned around about 1.5 miles into it, but could see where you go down and cross the stream . very pretty trail!! If you're use to hiking this trail is great, it can be a little changelling at times crossing under trees and ridge lines. don't really recommend toddlers, or just plan not to complete it all or take a while..

absolutely beautiful!

I love the fact that no one was on the trail that day. Beautiful.

One of the better hikes I have done in Hawaii so far. I did the entire loop for the first time today and have done the southern half out and back before. The initial/final hill and the two big dips through the valley are some tough trudging but other than that the trail was in great shape with only a couple slightly muddy spots. The ridge tops offered a great breeze both times I was hiking here and I have only seen two people not in my party after about 6 total hours on this trail. I hear the tubing is great (and the trail more populace) when the water level is up. When it is down the stream crossing is a great place to sit in the shade, have a snack, and enjoy the solitude that is so rare in Hawaii.

great hike, with beautiful views.

Lives up to it's rating. It is definitely not for the beginner. Lots of elevation shifts, rivers to cross, and slippery footing. Enjoyed the hike - recommend it for the seasoned hiker.

Friday, February 10, 2017

so much fun. Like an obstacle courss.

Monday, November 28, 2016

awesome trail. I met up with a friend from high school who is stationed here at k bay and we started this trail in the pouring rain. the beginning and end of this trail is horribly marked, if not marked at all, we walked the wrong way and kind of trail blazed for a bit until we ended up on something that actually looked like a trail and I checked this apps GPS and we were dead nuts on the trail, like half way around the loop, then crossed the rivers and saw an old plantation road then it got dark and we hit two three forks and got super super lost for like a few hours, and just went on every possible trail we saw until my compass said we were heading south west toward the car. Awesome trail, great views, cool streams, and not a single sign of human life, which was nice, but terrible trail markings for the trail entrance. But maybe that's on purpose.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

I've done this hike before and it's amazing but now there is a tree down after the first creep crossing with no way around it.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Great workout!

This hike was fun just never got to do the loop cause my gps so ii had to turn around cause the military joint base so ii walked back the same way. But other then that this hike is awesome a lot of birds and the views are beautiful. Ii love being out door.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

I already knew where the trail head was located due to a friend showing me so that was no issue. Once you get into the woods follow the trail that leads close to the ridge on the left. You will come to a steep downward incline full of roots which make it easy to climb down. The trail is around 7 miles total not 3.7 miles. It has a lot of narrow trails with drop offs and many ups and downs. The map that is on this app is very accurate and I would advise using it while hiking or you will get lost! This hike is a BEAST! And proper footwear is a must.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Trail was marked with tags tied to the trees. It was slick because of the rain but a great hike for the adventurer that doesn't want to drive far.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Was a great first time experience. Finding the start was confusing. There are no signs to indicate where to find the entrance. It's next to the large water tank and chain link fence. Had the luck to hike during a lite rain.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Wahiawa Hills Trail is a decent hike with plenty of good views; however, the trail is extremely difficult follow with no markers, multiple side-trails, and overgrown portions. I recommended finding detailed trail directions and bringing them with you to alleviate some of the confusion. The stream crossings and views make the trail well worth the effort.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

The trailhead is at the end of California Avenue in Wahiawa next to a big watertank.