Tripler Ridge Trail

Tripler Ridge Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

This hike is a long and continuous uphill trek with excellent views of the valleys on either side of Tripler ridge ending in a spectacular view of the windward side of the island. For those feeling really adventurous, you can continue onto the connector trails.

You won't get lost! From the Tripler housing area a paved trail lead you about a mile above tripler with nice views and easy going. Beyond that one clear path, almost totally devoid of forks or deviations leads you up the ridge another 4 miles to a broad grassy peak with fabulous views of the windward side. Some steep ascents are required, though most have ropes in place to assist. The trail also narrows to a knife edge ridge three feet wide with a chance at a long fall for the innate native.

Great trail! I suggest hitting the trail head no later than 06:30, so you can ascend before the sun bakes you. Trail is not a trail for novices. However, if you just take it slow and steady, on the narrow areas, you will be fine.

Nice trail. Super muddy but I wouldn't have it any other way. Will take you to the top of the Haiku stairs. The end point is worth the work!

I am. I am leaving now to it.

Hector let me know if your starting before 7AM

Hey Chris I am planning to do it. Holler at me

Is anybody doing this trail tomorrow early morning 9 OCT 16?

Hector what time are you planning to start?

If anyone is interested in hiking it up together Friday morning please contact me 9107281246

definitely wear pants. the rope assisted portions along the approach are good. the rope closer to the top is too taught and becomes more of a danger than a help. dangerous in wet weather.

great views. steep first mile on paved trail. second mile trail gets thinner, more up and down and flats. must be able to access Tripler Army Medical Center to get to trail head

This was an awesome trail which we did in running clothes...should have had on pants to protect our legs from the branches/palms. Very difficult trail and certainly is rated properly at "hard". The reason I didn't give it a 5 star was because at 3.69 miles (shown on my gps) the trail went sharply down with no discernible way to continue on the ridge. We just didn't have the strength to go sharply down knowing we'd have to come back. The trail is not always recognizable so keep a close watch on where you're going. The yellow plum-looking things are delicious guavas.

Best hike I've been on very tough but rewarding, especially if you go all the way to the stairway to heaven!

Ended up on tripler ridge after trying to get to stairway from moanalua valley....so we kind of ended up doing 3 hikes in which one which was awesome. The top of tripler is great. You can see the leeward and windward sides of the island and on a clear day can even see Maui. Take binoculars if you got em because the views are spectacular! Best views on the island.

You can also get to this trail by starting on the Moanalua Valley Trail at the end of Ala Aolani St. Turn right onto marker 12 about a little over a mile in. When you turn onto the marker 12 trail you will begin scaling the ridgeline. You will know when you get to the top as it will T. Turn left onto the Tripler trail.

September 2015. Construction at the military family housing area remains ongoing and looks to be a long time before finishing. Today tried to do the tripler ridge trail and found the area fenced off as other hikers previously stated. Doesn't look like they'll be finishing anytime soon because we could see one house still only in the framing phase.
We tried going around via the water tank in the civilian community as others described but it too now has a new fence and razor wire around it. I went in thick brush about 20 yards around the BoWS fence (left, mauka ) thinking there might be a visible trail up top that would connect with tripler ridge but I did not find any. However, this was a week after the 40 days and nights of three near-miss hurricanes' rains, so maybe it was there but overgrown. Maybe I didn't go far enough around to find it. Whatever, had to go pick up my kid in town by this time so gave up at this point.