Tripler Ridge Trail

Tripler Ridge Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is a long and continuous uphill trek with excellent views of the valleys on either side of Tripler ridge ending in a spectacular view of the windward side of the island. For those feeling really adventurous, you can continue onto the connector trails.

Great ridge trail, most of it quite overgrown, and watch out for a large bee nest! There's a rabbit hole to take on the right of it. It ends with incredible views of the windward side and options to go west to the Haiku Stairs or east to who knows where.

Great hike, but it seems like there was a lot more to go at the end of the trail. The views during the hike were beautiful, just didnt have a great final view

Anyone want to do this hike or any others text me 6198825314.

My only complaint about Tripler Ridge is that it is not hiked enough so as a result some places are overgrown...not to a point where cant tell where the trail is, but can make progress slow. Beautiful day today, started early and got to the summit in about 3.5 hours, then decided to take the KST to the Hiaku Stairs. Top of Heaven had no clouds to and the views was just amazing. After playing on the steps, came back via the Tripler Ridge

Pretty hike, but I think I missed a turn to go up to Ridge line. Ended at 2600ft and at a point where I would have to go way down a ridge to climb up the huge final hill. Not being able to even see where the trail even went up, I guess I screwed up. From there I could clearly see the Moanalua trail with folks going up to the Ridge. There was one sign I pass saying "To Road Marker 12" and I wonder if that was the way to go. Not sure. Wonder if it is crossover. Hmmm

Did 7.5 Round Trip, up to 2600ft

3L water good and snacks need for energy

Bees Bees Bees.
Bees as you start trail near neighborhood, second batch at the left turn to side road, and third batch is at the 3.25 ish in a tree on right side of narrow trail. There is a trail to get around it if you back up. Early morning they weren't out, but when the sun shines, look out. Made the return walk exciting.

Quite the ridge line hike so not for the inexperienced. The entrance isn't clearly marked, but once you get to the vicinity follow the road uphill (sign says for me military vehicles or hikers) after passing the radar tower a nice path opens up on point for the ridge. There are a few spots that have tall grass so you may want pants but otherwise it's not an issue. Great big evergreen along the path is about at the mid-point of the trek. Overall, great views and intense workout.

This was a great hike took a casual stroll up tripler ridge to the end overlooking H3 make sure you bring lots of water and wear pants!!! It will be wet as there are lot of overgrowth but shorts will get you torn up. then we went past it to head on to the haiku stairs we parked a car at tripler and one in moanalua valley so we went down moanlua valley and it was a piece of cake steep going down In some areas but it was defiantly a good idea going down here. Once you get to the valley it's all flat ground and makes the end of the day more doable.

It was an awesome hike! I will suggest though to bring at least 3 liters of water, and wear either knee high socks or pants, the underbrush is super prickly and have my lower legs all scratched up. It would be nice if the next person that went would bring a machete to open bits of the trail up more.. there is an active bee hive as well around 3.5miles, my brother walked through without them stinging him but I cut down and around. Be cautious and prepared. Glorious views at the top!

Great hike!!! First 1.2 paved and fast. The trail past what is mapped gets rough but not that bad. Nice steady peak to peak

A good portion is family friendly. We hiked about two miles in with a 4, 9, 12, and 14 year old. I don't typically see many people encouraging children to hike this trail and I'm sure it gets sketchy for kiddos at a point, but well past the power lines and into the woods was fine. Husband and I will go back to finish it on a later date. We really enjoyed this trail. Very quiet.

This is a nice trail to introduce folks to ridge trail hiking. It starts out in a residential neighborhood on a paved uphill trail for about 1-1/2 miles and then transitions to a dirt trail through a variety of vegetation ranging from tall grasses near radio transmission stations to densely packed forested areas with the types of trees changing as you gain elevation. The copper colored trees are ethereal and the underbrush, though tough and jagged, and moss covered boulders and fallen logs just add to the mystique along the trail. I've hiked this a couple of times--once from Tripler and another time from Moanaloa Valley and took the connector trail up to Tripler Ridge before we hiked all the way out to the Koolau Summit Trail crossover. This trail offers great views of neighboring ridgelines and occasional views to the south, Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, and the Waianae Mountains until you ultimately reach an incredible overlook that affords views of the Windward Side. If it rains while you're hiking you may be treated to some beautiful rainbows. I've worn microspikes for those times where I was on the dirt trail as the spikes provided great traction in the mud. microspikes aren't absolutely necessary but they do provide confidence in traction and help you navigate along the trail more easily in those slippery conditions. There are some 'wash out'/landslide areas along the trail that could prove very hazardous. Use extra caution in these areas as this is a ridge line trail and there are steep drop offs on either side of the trail in spots that may not be obvious as they're obscured by tall grasses and underbrush. For these safety reasons I'd be very hesitant to encourage children to hike this trail. Toward the overlook there are sections with ropes to help you ascend/descend. There is also a 'maintenance work taut ropeline' along the route that is used for maintenance personnel to clip into for their safety ropes. These aren't necessarily there for hikers as they're more a hindrance than a help in some areas. If you keep your eyes open you may see a variety of wildlife--we saw Jackson's Chameleons, a Hawaiian blind snake (Ramphotyphlops braminus), and assorted butterflies along the way.