Sliding Sands Trail

Sliding Sands Trail is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kula, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Highway 378: Follow Haleakala Crater Road to the Haleakala Visitor Center. Park in the visitor center parking lot. The trail leaves from the eastern side of the parking area.

20 minutes ago

The views are amazing, but it is a hard descent due to the looseness of the earth. Bring lots of layers and H2O. If you start feeling exhausted, bring to mind the couple of gentlemen I encountered doing this hike WITHOUT SHOES.

Start early and dress for the cold. The trail head starts at 9,000 ft. If you're training for a Spartan Race this is a good training ground - all down hill for the first 3.8 miles flattens out for as long as you want it to. Then it's ALL up hill. Best guess is 3,000 feet in elevation change between the peak and the base of the crater. Magnificent views. It's a technical run so it requires control on the downhill, so you can't just fly until you get to the bottom. But wait, there's more, most of the flat is sand. Great trek recommend to anyone.

Hiked a couples of miles down and then back
up. Well worth it, amazing views and photo opt.
Took us about the same time going down as up unless what most people say. Got to be carefull on the way down because of the sliding sand, you have much better grip on the way back up. Bring lots of water, at that elevation it will be needed, and make sure to wear plenty of sunscreen and bring layers, it can get cold.

this hike was surreal, but I was not prepared the the high elevation. I would not attempt this as a amateur or intermediate skilled hiker. ensure you bring sunscreen and lots of water.

Great hike and the weather was fantastic. We started early, 7:30am and definitely experienced a temp change throughout the hike so bring layers! Another good note worth mentioning is that the park itself doesn't open to hikers until 7am unless you've made a reservation to see the sunrise. If you plan to start out early, be sure you have a reservation or you will have to wait outside the park. There is also a $25 entry fee to get into the park.

We hiked down to the first cabin and hiked back up to the visitor center parking lot. We are both fit and it took us around 5 hours round trip. We stopped several times for pictures.

Be sure to wear sunscreen! We had SPF 50 on and reapplied once during the hike but still got burnt. Between two of us, we brought 3 liters and probably could have used a 4th. I'd recommend a minimum 2 liters per person.

Unfortunately this isn't too scenic but it's still very cool to hike into a dormant volcano!

Nice hike. Very little shade but cool and comfortable. It felt like I was on Mars, not at all like the rest of Maui.

Did the whole 11 mile in and out - it was an interesting hike, challenging on the way back when we faced 15mph gusts of freezing rain. Barely made it back out but well worth seeing the strangely desolate and beautiful landscape.

we also only hiked about a mile down and went back up. the elevation certainly got to me ... unfortunately... because the hike is amazing and unique. a definite must

This is an amazing hike and I'd say definitely a must-do if you're on Maui. My husband and I hiked about a mile down, which I believe descends about 1,000 feet per what the park ranger told us. The landscape is incredible and unlike anything else I've seen. The views are spectacular. The hike in and down was relatively easy but remember you'll be going up on the way back out, so keep that into consideration when deciding how far to go in. It was definitely more challenging on the way back up and out. Wear layers as there can be temperature changes depending on the cloud cover and how far down you go. Bring lots of water and snacks. I would love to go back and backpack in for a night or two some day.

One of the best memories of my life.