Sacred Falls Trails [CLOSED]

Sacred Falls Trails [CLOSED] is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

This trail was closed after a landslide killed 8 and injured 50 people so entering comes with disclaimers: 1) Risk heavy fines if caught 2) Take extreme caution after wet weather and heavy rain 3) Be wary of falling rocks and recently downed boulders and trees The state conservation and land management has been cracking down on people hiking here with a hefty penalty of $1,000 and three days in jail, and they are towing all cars of people suspected of hiking here.

RESPECT THE LAND

First off, this place is beyond gorgeous. Which is why we took the risks to see it. We are fit and experienced hikers, and we left no trace. You should do the same. Don't even break a twig.

That said, we had to hide from cops twice. Once on the way up and once on the way down. Felt like we were in 'nam, hiding in the brush.

We got to the falls and we were alone. And it was really, really eerie. And really really surreal. We went for a quick swim, and as soon as my girlfriend got close to the waterfall, rocks started falling from above. We're not spiritual people but we took that as a sign. We left as soon as we came. This place is sacred and you must, must respect the land and all of the people who are buried there.

We went despite all of the warnings and fines, and yes it was anxiety inducing. It is not a relaxing or easy hike, and it baffles me that it used to be open to the public. Massive liability. Constant helicopters above, mostly tourists but it makes it hard to hear if you're getting rolled on by the local police coming up the road.

BASICALLY: if you're not physically fit don't even attempt this. Most of the hike is slippery rocks, and you can twist and ankle or break an arm at any moment. I've heard from my local friends that idiots have to get life-flighted out all the time because they are selfish and uneducated about the terrain and the history. Maybe it's the gods punishing them, maybe it's Darwinism. Either way, I fell flat on my ass multiple times.

But when you get in the canyon it is something else. I've never seen anything like it and I can see how people are spiritual about it. It felt like a dream being there, it was unreal and I will never do it again.

Leave a blessing for Kamapua'a when you go. If you don't know how to do that, please refrain from this hike.

Relatively easy hike, not really anymore dangerous than any other hike.

Please please be considerate and respectful to the people who have died here, to the Hawaiians that consider this a sacred place, and to the first responders who are put in jeopardy if anyone gets hurt here. Do not be a selfish jerk by hiking here. This hike is closed. You can get fined up to $2500. Your car can get towed. It is disrespectful to treat this like some recreation spot. Hawaiian people are not going to your place of worship and taking selfies and jumping into your holy water, so please have some respect and understanding. Thank you

My boyfriend and I did our research and set out to hike the falls today. We entered around 10AM, and exited around 2PM. We saw the yellow gate mentioned in other reviews, and we entered to the left of the gate into the wooded part. There were clear trails which led to the main Sacred Falls trail. The first 1/3 of the hike was a clear rocky path, then next 1/3 of the hike was rock and mud. Slippery! Plenty of signs that the wild boar were there. The last 1/3 of the trail was a little slick, ( it poured all day the previous day.) We walked through forest parts, encountered some bug boulders, and then found the first dried up fall. Continued over some rocks in the water and waiting just ahead was the most beautiful sight of my life. Tons of lose rocks, the thought of falling rock kept us on our toes the whole time. I'd do this hike again in a heartbeat. Oh, bug spray is a must!! Happy hiking

This is absolutely my favorite day hike. However, the state conservation and land management has been cracking down on people hiking there with a hefty penalty of $1,000 and three days in jail, and they are towing all cars suspected of hiking there. Its your choice, but sadly I cant say that ill ever be back.

I want to do this trail tomorrow. If anyone else is interested shoot me an email Lance.Ahmadian@gmail.com.

I've done this hike before and am to Honolulu again from December 20 to 25th. anyone up for doing it together? email me at moonangel25@hotmail.com. thanks!

what a beautiful waterfall! theres a dried up waterfall before you get to the waterfall thats really cool! my sis and I did this dec. 2016. We were scetched a little at the end because I can see how people have died there by falling rocks.

Aloha,

I will be staying in Waikiki from October 8th - 12th and looking for someone or a group to do this hike with.

Please let me know if interested.

Cheers,
Ryan
ryan.p.quinn22@gmail.com

Loved this trail! Beautiful, sad it's illegal but also good to preserve it.

Thursday, September 08, 2016