Sacred Falls Trails [CLOSED]

Sacred Falls Trails [CLOSED] is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

closed

This trail was closed after a landslide killed 8 and injured 50 people so entering comes with disclaimers: 1) Risk heavy fines if caught 2) Take extreme caution after wet weather and heavy rain 3) Be wary of falling rocks and recently downed boulders and trees The state conservation and land management has been cracking down on people hiking here with a hefty penalty of $1,000 and three days in jail, and they are towing all cars of people suspected of hiking here.

My boyfriend and I did our research and set out to hike the falls today. We entered around 10AM, and exited around 2PM. We saw the yellow gate mentioned in other reviews, and we entered to the left of the gate into the wooded part. There were clear trails which led to the main Sacred Falls trail. The first 1/3 of the hike was a clear rocky path, then next 1/3 of the hike was rock and mud. Slippery! Plenty of signs that the wild boar were there. The last 1/3 of the trail was a little slick, ( it poured all day the previous day.) We walked through forest parts, encountered some bug boulders, and then found the first dried up fall. Continued over some rocks in the water and waiting just ahead was the most beautiful sight of my life. Tons of lose rocks, the thought of falling rock kept us on our toes the whole time. I'd do this hike again in a heartbeat. Oh, bug spray is a must!! Happy hiking

This is absolutely my favorite day hike. However, the state conservation and land management has been cracking down on people hiking there with a hefty penalty of $1,000 and three days in jail, and they are towing all cars suspected of hiking there. Its your choice, but sadly I cant say that ill ever be back.

I want to do this trail tomorrow. If anyone else is interested shoot me an email Lance.Ahmadian@gmail.com.

I've done this hike before and am to Honolulu again from December 20 to 25th. anyone up for doing it together? email me at moonangel25@hotmail.com. thanks!

what a beautiful waterfall! theres a dried up waterfall before you get to the waterfall thats really cool! my sis and I did this dec. 2016. We were scetched a little at the end because I can see how people have died there by falling rocks.

Aloha,

I will be staying in Waikiki from October 8th - 12th and looking for someone or a group to do this hike with.

Please let me know if interested.

Cheers,
Ryan
ryan.p.quinn22@gmail.com

Loved this trail! Beautiful, sad it's illegal but also good to preserve it.

Highly illegal. Closed for safety. But so beautiful. Very spiritual. If you get the chance to experience this area, remember what happened here and respect the land and area. I will say I disliked all the tour helicopters flying over the falls.

I thought it was amazing! A little Erie because of what happened there but I'd definitely go again! Just the hike to get there was tropical looking and beautiful!

I hiked this trail about a month before 7 people perished there during a rockslide. Since then, it is closed to the public.

This trail is CLOSED since the late 90s due to the numerous deaths of hikers.
NOT an easy trail at all