Sacred Falls Trails [CLOSED]

Sacred Falls Trails [CLOSED] is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

This trail was closed after a landslide killed 8 and injured 50 people so entering comes with disclaimers: 1) Risk heavy fines if caught 2) Take extreme caution after wet weather and heavy rain 3) Be wary of falling rocks and recently downed boulders and trees The state conservation and land management has been cracking down on people hiking here with a hefty penalty of $1,000 and three days in jail, and they are towing all cars of people suspected of hiking here.

I would not recommend this hike. There's a good reason this one is closed. Plenty of local legends talk about this being the place of a trickster demi god, Kamapua'a. And a horrible tragedy happened on Mothers Day back in the 90s. Many people have gotten hurt on this hike. It is a very eerie place.

I went with my siblings and it is quite difficult to find the proper path because there are misleading signs. But, when we went my sister kept hearing voices yet there was no one on the trail with us. Also, a huge tree branch snapped and landed abruptly only a few feet in front of us! It wasn't a small stick but a HUGE branch that could've seriously injured someone. And when we started the hike it was a gorgeous day but as soon as we found the stream that lead to the waterfall the weather turned sour. Eventually we all just felt very uncomfortable and didn't want to go through with the hike. When we went home we looked up the history of the place and realized that's where our tutu's childhood man-pig stories come from!!

This place just gives me the creeps! I feel like I'll listen to whoever or whatever was signaling us not to go there. Just would like to share my experience and thoughts. But if you do decide to go respect the land, be very cautious, and hope nothing falls on you.

Did this back in 1999. Wish it was still open, I would definitely do it again!

such a beautiful hike. I did this I'm. rainy day and didn't find it difficult at all. it gets a bit muddy and we did get fairly wet from the river but it wasn't anything too dangerous. please be respectful and don't leave trash.

Stunning hike. Hike carefully and be respectful of the space.

When you get to the end of the gravel road and the woods start take the LEFT path. Cross the first streambed don’t follow it. Stay left until you’re in the gorge. Otherwise you’ll end up following pig trails and get stuck in strawberry guava.

Me and my bf are spending our vacation away from the Canadian cold weather, and wanted to have a challenge... unfortunately it didn't work out so well for us. I didn't imagine it turning out like this since all the reviews made it look somewhat simple...

So I rate this hike very poorly for the simple reason that reaching the 2nd gate where you get into the woods on the narrow path (which is super narrow !!) it diverts in all ways!! We tried 3 attempts to find the right way through but we failed. I believe nature had grown over the path since the place is not visited so often anymore...
Also, we were deceived to see that right after this 2nd gate there was SO MUCH TRASH ( mostly beer cans, like hundreds!! Ridiculous!!) ... and yah just like other people mentioned the mosquitoes were hungry and the tourists helicopters we're running over our heads constantly... we got discouraged quite fast.

One fascinating thing was on our way back: a huge dry tree broke down over our path as if it was stoke by lightning. Right in front of us... 100 steps further and it would have fallen over us!!
So that got us the chills! And convinced us that it was a sign for us to leave and not revisit that way... Anyhow... maybe someday we'll find a different trail/ method to see this Sacred fall.

Just don’t hike this trail.

If you decide to go against all the warnings of possible death by falling rocks or large fines by the city, be respectful of the land and don’t leave traces you were there like trash, stacking rocks or making new trails. Stick to the trail and don’t be the obnoxious ass screaming when you jump in the water.

RESPECT THE LAND

First off, this place is beyond gorgeous. Which is why we took the risks to see it. We are fit and experienced hikers, and we left no trace. You should do the same. Don't even break a twig.

That said, we had to hide from cops twice. Once on the way up and once on the way down. Felt like we were in 'nam, hiding in the brush.

We got to the falls and we were alone. And it was really, really eerie. And really really surreal. We went for a quick swim, and as soon as my girlfriend got close to the waterfall, rocks started falling from above. We're not spiritual people but we took that as a sign. We left as soon as we came. This place is sacred and you must, must respect the land and all of the people who are buried there.

We went despite all of the warnings and fines, and yes it was anxiety inducing. It is not a relaxing or easy hike, and it baffles me that it used to be open to the public. Massive liability. Constant helicopters above, mostly tourists but it makes it hard to hear if you're getting rolled on by the local police coming up the road.

BASICALLY: if you're not physically fit don't even attempt this. Most of the hike is slippery rocks, and you can twist and ankle or break an arm at any moment. I've heard from my local friends that idiots have to get life-flighted out all the time because they are selfish and uneducated about the terrain and the history. Maybe it's the gods punishing them, maybe it's Darwinism. Either way, I fell flat on my ass multiple times.

But when you get in the canyon it is something else. I've never seen anything like it and I can see how people are spiritual about it. It felt like a dream being there, it was unreal and I will never do it again.

Leave a blessing for Kamapua'a when you go. If you don't know how to do that, please refrain from this hike.

Relatively easy hike, not really anymore dangerous than any other hike.

Please please be considerate and respectful to the people who have died here, to the Hawaiians that consider this a sacred place, and to the first responders who are put in jeopardy if anyone gets hurt here. Do not be a selfish jerk by hiking here. This hike is closed. You can get fined up to $2500. Your car can get towed. It is disrespectful to treat this like some recreation spot. Hawaiian people are not going to your place of worship and taking selfies and jumping into your holy water, so please have some respect and understanding. Thank you

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

My boyfriend and I did our research and set out to hike the falls today. We entered around 10AM, and exited around 2PM. We saw the yellow gate mentioned in other reviews, and we entered to the left of the gate into the wooded part. There were clear trails which led to the main Sacred Falls trail. The first 1/3 of the hike was a clear rocky path, then next 1/3 of the hike was rock and mud. Slippery! Plenty of signs that the wild boar were there. The last 1/3 of the trail was a little slick, ( it poured all day the previous day.) We walked through forest parts, encountered some bug boulders, and then found the first dried up fall. Continued over some rocks in the water and waiting just ahead was the most beautiful sight of my life. Tons of lose rocks, the thought of falling rock kept us on our toes the whole time. I'd do this hike again in a heartbeat. Oh, bug spray is a must!! Happy hiking

Friday, January 20, 2017

This is absolutely my favorite day hike. However, the state conservation and land management has been cracking down on people hiking there with a hefty penalty of $1,000 and three days in jail, and they are towing all cars suspected of hiking there. Its your choice, but sadly I cant say that ill ever be back.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I want to do this trail tomorrow. If anyone else is interested shoot me an email Lance.Ahmadian@gmail.com.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

I've done this hike before and am to Honolulu again from December 20 to 25th. anyone up for doing it together? email me at moonangel25@hotmail.com. thanks!

Sunday, December 18, 2016

what a beautiful waterfall! theres a dried up waterfall before you get to the waterfall thats really cool! my sis and I did this dec. 2016. We were scetched a little at the end because I can see how people have died there by falling rocks.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Aloha,

I will be staying in Waikiki from October 8th - 12th and looking for someone or a group to do this hike with.

Please let me know if interested.

Cheers,
Ryan
ryan.p.quinn22@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Loved this trail! Beautiful, sad it's illegal but also good to preserve it.

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Highly illegal. Closed for safety. But so beautiful. Very spiritual. If you get the chance to experience this area, remember what happened here and respect the land and area. I will say I disliked all the tour helicopters flying over the falls.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

I thought it was amazing! A little Erie because of what happened there but I'd definitely go again! Just the hike to get there was tropical looking and beautiful!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

I hiked this trail about a month before 7 people perished there during a rockslide. Since then, it is closed to the public.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

This trail is CLOSED since the late 90s due to the numerous deaths of hikers.
NOT an easy trail at all

Friday, June 12, 2015

This trail is closed. The penalties you wi receive from DLNR(Department of Land and Natural Resources) out way the thrill. See video. https://vimeo.com/119992399

Thursday, June 11, 2015

This trail is closed.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Warning trail is closed and posted so you run the risk of getting fined but o went at 3pm and had no problems and definitely worth it. Beautiful waterfall and not a very difficult hike to get there. Beware of the narrow path towards the end and flash floods

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Unfortunately this easy hike is closed. A group was killed in the 90s so they shut it down.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A very easy stroll towards the back of Kaliuwaa stream. The reward is clear - the beautiful Sacred Falls. The trail is closed, so be aware of that. Penalty for trespassing is stiff so be forewarned.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Good hike but unfortunately no water at the falls.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

It is probably the most beautiful waterfall that I have ever seen

Monday, May 12, 2014

This was a beautiful hike, With the stunning reward at the end of the hike of swimming in the waterfall. Yes this park is closed. If you willing to risk the steep fines and the spirits of the Hawaiian people. Proceed with caution in the up most respect.

Monday, April 21, 2014

A closed notation might be useful. We drove all the way out and then saw the closed signs. To many hikes available to worry about fines

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Such an easy hike with an absolutely gorgeous finish at the end. Sacred falls, such a beautiful waterfall with beautiful valley mountains to make it pure serenity.