Queen's Bath Trail

Queen's Bath Trail is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Princeville, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

beach

Be aware of the tides and avoid this area if the waves make it dangerous. This is a short hike to a jumping and swimming spot with great views of volcanic cliffs, waterfalls and the Hawaiian surf. Take your swimsuit, you can easily jump off the sides into the pool and you can rest next to the ocean if the surf is not too rough. The Queen's Bath is a unique tidal pool on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. The pool is a sinkhole surrounded by igneous rock and located on the north shore of Kauai near Princeville. The swimming area is accessible via a short trail. During the winter when wave activity is violent, it is considered dangerous. In small surfusually in the summerthe water in the pool is calm and makes a great place to chill. Small fish and tiny sea life also live in the tide pool, such as Hawaiian sea urchins, Angelfish and the small critter locals call "Ghost fish." The original "Queen's Bath" was located in Kalapana on the Big Island of Hawaii. It was formed after a lava tube collapsed and filled with fresh water supplied by natural springs. In ancient times only the Alii (Royalty) were permitted entry to the sacred waters. In 1983 Kilauea Volcano erupted and in 1987 the original site was destroyed by lava flow. Only after the original site on the Big Island of Hawaii was destroyed did the location on Kauai become better known as "Queen's Bath." This tidal pool was used for what it sounds like; it was a royal bathing place. It was also used as a place of relaxation when an Alii needed to "wash off the stress".

This walk is definitely worth the hike down. My friend and I did it barefoot so we didn’t bust a plug in our thongs (flip flops) as it was a little boggy at the top. There’s several rock pools to swim in at the bottom. There’s only about 8 parks at the top so if you can, park elsewhere and walk to the entrance. We swam in one calm little rockpool and about 5 minutes later large waves started washing into it, so even if you’re experienced near the water, be sure to take care.

We arrived on a rainy day and debated whether or not to attempt this trail. It was very muddy and the trail was in bad shape with clay-mud, roots and overuse. However we didn’t have to wait that long to get a parking space so we went for it and we are glad we did! Great reward at the end!

Short but pretty steep hike. Not too challenging, just have to use some concentration while walking. My brother (19) did this without shoes and was just fine. When you get down the trail, keep going left to find a really cool swimming hole. Would do this again!

Short but steep with a must experience ending. Slippery when wet, you will get muddy. only about 10parking spaces. Can park at the golf course free with $15 purchase at the pro shop and walk a quarter mile to the trail head.

À must do if you are in the Princeville area! Prepare to get muddy feet. Beautiful views and rock jumping into the pools. The whole family loved it!

With the recent storms parts of the trail are treacherous. There are some very muddy and slippery sections before the lava rock cliffs and an area just before you get to the cliffs is quite a scramble. The pools are neat and the view of the waves is incredibly beautiful; but the hike out, although short, is fairly difficult at this time.

This was a fun little hike. It was super wet and muddy, but we had a great time. Adults and kids both were able to do it. Dont forget to keep exploring to the left after you get to the bottom. Loved that we were able to swim in it. Just make sure it is low tide.

The hike is a fun sloppy mess to get down to the water. Trekking poles are a MUST! We kept laughing hearing people slip and land on their butts and yelp at the same time. Watching a stream of people navigate down this way was quite entertaining. Once you get down the waterfalls and of course the bath are simply awesome. The only problem? BIG SURF. Over 30 people have been swept out to their deaths. By sheer dumb luck we were there during low tide during the off season and even with this 4-6 foot swells were constantly coming in. The Queen's Bath is totally worth the time it takes to check tide tables. Enjoy!!

So incredible. Wear real hiking shoes. Bring a hiking stick. Prepare to get muddy!

Be aware of the trail conditions before hiking down. It gets muddy and very slippery. Also pay attention to the surf. Rogue waves can sweep people out to sea at any time. It is a great spot to watch the sunset, but you have back up the trail in the dark, so be prepared.

One of our favorite memories from Kauai! You hike to a beautiful coastline with a waterfall and then continue along the coastline to a beautiful natural swimming pool formed by the tide.

FYI: there are only about 8 parking spots at the trailhead. You can choose to wait in a line of cars waiting for your turn at the next open spot, or park far away and walk in. There is no parking on the street in the surrounding residential area.

Also we went after it rained and the trail was extremely muddy and slippery. Definitely wear good hiking shoes or water shoes, and be prepared to get your car filthy afterwards unless you brought something to wash off all the mud- there is no shower to wash off. As a result of the slipperiness, I wouldn’t recommend it for young children or elderly people (I actually fell on our hike!).

Also wear a swimsuit if you want to get in the bath!

Do it! It was so worth it and a great memory!!

Fun short hike from the Princeville/Makai golf course area out to the “Queens Bath” cliffs and tide pools. Went on a sunny day and it was still pretty wet, muddy and slippery in the shady parts on the trail. I recommend wearing a bathing suit or bottoms and a top that can get wet/muddy and either plan to hike barefoot or bring sturdy water shoes or hiking boots. We hiked barefoot for lack of planning and I wouldn’t recommend it, especially down on the rocks around the tide pools. Plan on using your hands when hiking as there are some big steps at some points and much of the hike involves stepping over and between tree roots.

At the bottom of the hike you’ll find the tide pools, get a great view of the coast, watch turtles swim around and people jump off the rocks into the pools. If you walk past the first tide pool there are a few others where the water is calm and in the summer the waves crash hard enough to add water to the pools but not sweep over the top with a lot of force. Judging by the height of the location I’m guessing that it’s less accessible in the winter months when the surf and weather is much stronger.

It took us about 20 minutes to hike in (all downhill) and another 30-45 out. It is a heavily trafficked hike and parking could potentially be the biggest headache. There are only 20ish spots next to the trail head and no parking on the surrounding neighborhood streets. I highly recommend this short hike and swimming in the tide pools. Kids can do this, we saw plenty on the trail.

Beautiful views at the bath and a pretty waterfall on the way down. The hike is absolutely worth it, but I underestimated it with the short distance and moderate rating. I mistakenly thought flip flops would work since it's only about a half mile trek but hiking sandals would be ideal. It was so extremely muddy, I ended up going barefoot. If you can find a hiking stick I think it would be very helpful as it was slick and hard to find traction on the way down. There was also several people around which complicated things further. If it has recently rained, expect to come back with mud covered legs.

Low tides at its best for this amazing spot ! Loved it with our teenagers ! Be aware of some high waves, can be surprising !!

Absolutely loved queens bath! While on vacation my partner and I went there twice and wished we were able to make it one more time.
Tips:
- Get there early for a parking spot
- be prepared to get dirty and stick your feet right in the muddy holes
- keep walking past the first few pools, queens bath is much calmer than the others and safer to swim
- you can keep walking after queens bath and explore further

Wow- this place is a must when visiting Kauai! One of my favorite spots! I went twice this week and we were blessed with beautiful weather both days. It’s a pretty easy hike to the first pool (I recommend hiking sandals) but make sure you go beyond the first pool! There are several other amazing pools to checkout with coral, fish, and other wildlife. Bring your snorkel gear! We were incredibly lucky today and had two sea turtles swimming in one of the pools with us! Such a beautiful place.

I would call this trail moderately easy. Not steep in any particular spot - the most difficulty we faced was finding good footing in the mud, deep foot impressions and exposed tree roots. Once at the shoreline, the rock scramble is mostly simple with lots of dry and flat topped stones. Queen’s Bath is the third “pool” along the way, and is not open to the ocean during low tide - that is the recommended time to visit if you plan to swim. Be mindful of the surf AT ALL TIMES as being swept away by rogue waves is a very real danger. Otherwise, a great visit with beautiful views. Keep your eyes out for green sea turtles and they love to dine on the shoreline rocks.

This trail is extremely muddy and the number of people on it made it difficult to maneuver. I saw a girl completely bust her tail in this one slippery area and get mud all over her. There were people doing this trail in flip flops which I highly recommend you DONT do; they will slide off your feet and you will end up having to take them off. Hiking sandals, hiking boots, or tennis shoes are the way to go. It takes a while to get down the trail because of the mud but it’s a pretty scenic hike with small waterfalls on the way. Once you make it down, there is lots to explore. If you cross the stream and go to the right, there are less people since the pools and bay are in the other direction, but we saw a lot of turtles swimming in the water and got some great photos. FYI parking is VERY limited. We parked at the golf course and walked over.

Pros: sea turtles (!), beautiful view

Cons: limited parking (we ended up walking when we couldn’t find parking), very crowded, slippery.

We were glad to make the trip because the view was great and there were so many sea turtles swimming around, but it was incredibly crowded. If you dig the crowds and cliff jumping into ocean surf, it’s a great space. Just be sure to mind the tide and stay safe.

It was muddy but that was part of the fun! Wear water shoes or hiking sandals! I had my Columbia hiking sandals and managed to make it down fine, however, I saw many people go down with sandals and ended up losing them a third way down.

End Result. I was not impressed the by the “Queens Bath”. It could be my perspective but the water looked super dirty. Maybe try going in the morning before you swim in everyone’s urine 

Very muddy at the moment, but worth it. The bath is nice and refreshing. Saw a couple of sea turtles as well.

* A very fun trail to hike!

* Extremely muddy and lots of fun

* You won’t be disappointed

* About 0.5 miles total

Not as muddy as some of the reviews make it out to be. Great swimming and exploring but parking is a pain.

So fun! Definitely family friendly! We had a group of 12, aged 2.5 to 71! Don’t go if you hate fun or mud. You can not complete this with out getting muddy, but it’s a great view, and a lot of laughs. The trail is pretty busy during the low tide hours, which is when you should go to experience the Queens Bath best. But the Aloha spirit is strong, as complete strangers help each other navigate a giant mud slip and slide! Just do it. Pay attention to the tide schedule if you like to swim in the bath, and don’t turn your back on the surf if your out exploring on the rocks!

Fairly straightforward hike but very muddy. The Bath's are worth seeing, and we saw a couple of sea turtles as well.

Great hike! A little muddy and it hasn't rained for a few days. Would be a little rough right after or during a rain.

Seriously do not understand how people can give this place less than 5 stars! Seems to me that the rather majority of bad reviews are from rather older people that don't get the full experience and focus on the hike. Yes, there is nothing glamorous about the 0.5 mile muddy hike. My friends and I, all consisting from the ages of 18-20 hiked this very short hike in about 45 minutes. I would recommend going barefoot on the muddy trail in the foresty part, and then put on some shoes when you get to the rocks. When you get to the end, you will think you see Queensbath, but there are so many pools, I honestly have no idea which one was the one! Make sure you go down the entire coast. There are many pools, there are calm ones! Crystal clear water. You can jump into them with ease. This place is truly magical! Just be careful and cautious. Definitely something out of this world. I would recommend going very early around 7 or 8 am to get a parking spot, as there are only 10 spots. We found a spot with ease. If you come after that, you will struggle finding a spot. Also, check when the tide is low. I forgot what website I used, but just google Kauai low tide time and you'll find it. When I went, the low tides were at 5 am and 5 pm. But they change all the time.

Extremely muddy and slippery, took forever. People with water shoes seemed best equipped, I had good sandles and had to go barefoot. Parking was a joke, but luckily plenty of parking at the golf course a quarter mile away. Bath was beautiful but tons of young kids, felt like a backyard pool party and I wasn't invited. Pass.

Good for young people. Muddy and steepy. You can jump into bath and be happy :)

The trail itself was a little rough. The first half is very muddy and lacks some sure footing in places. But you get past that fairly quickly and the end result is very worth it. The view at the end is incredible. Queen’s Bath itself is very neat as well. We started hiking around 5:00 pm and thought it was the perfect time. Fun to be there as the sun is beginning to set. The sign at the beginning of the hike might scare you off, but we felt very safe the whole time. Just be aware and you’ll be fine.