Pu'upiei Trail

Pu'upiei Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hauula, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

I didn't go thru the trail head at the park but its beside the washrooms on the right! the trail was overgrown like crazy in feb lol I ended up Bush wacking and going up the rock valley then cutting over.

I wish I could have finished it only got half way there! which took us 1-1.5 off trail using this GPS tracker

not a very well Marked one and steep at some points if u get lost easily don't recommend it

The trailhead was pretty hard to find. It was pretty wet and so very difficult to get elevation. However, I didn't make it to the top.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Note: My phone did not have good enough connection to track the hike so my route as of 3/13/2016 is a drawn route, rather than GPS tracking.

The trail was in rough shape, overgrown, steep, challenging. There were some steep scrambles, pulling yourself up by branches, crawling through small spaces, and sliding on the prickly Lauhala leaves. Not pleasant, but fun! Once we reached the crest of the ridge, rather than going to the left toward the summit, we went toward the ocean first to explore some of the climbing. There were some intimidating vertical rock faces, and some serious drops on both sides. For those not accustomed to Hawaii hikes, BE AWARE there's a reason locals aren't bouldering in places like this. Seemingly solid holds often come loose. Our rocks are playful, they like to move and shift and crumble.

Unreal view of Kahana Bay and Pu'u Manamana across the way. Although not a long hike, give yourself a lot of time. Detailed directions can be found in "Hikers Guide to Oahu" by Stuart Ball.