Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone Trail

Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kailua Kona, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This is a unique geological feature that looks like jello! It used to have an obsidian mine and is still part of a working ranch. This is an easy hike to the top where you can see Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Hualalei and North Kohala. This trail is a recent addition to the State Parks in 2005 - called Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone State Park. There are a couple of easy trails around the area, but this one takes you up to the top of Pu'u Wa'awa'a. Some like to take their bikes up and do the downhill, while others just enjoy the open views from the top. This is an easy hike with views of all the main mountains on the Big Island.

Fantastic hike/run! If you want a great workout, a chance to get away from the crowds and a spectacular view, this is the trail you want. It's uphill all the way to the top but it's gradual and it's Hawaii! I ran into some cows on the way up but they eventually moved off the road and let me pass. The sheep near the top were fun to watch run down the steep sides of the inner cone. I really loved this hike. I went early in the morning (7:00-gate opens at 6:00) and only saw one family on my way back (about a mile from where I parked my car.)

I see this hike is now marked as Moderate, which seems right. The climbing starts gently, on a paved road (closed to traffic), then switches to grass and gets steeper and steeper toward the top. One section of loose rock in the middle was hard to walk on, but it was only about a hundred yards long. Where the pavement changes to grass, in the area of the abandoned farm buildings, there are a few offshoot roads and no markings, but you can see a path following the contour of the hill up and around the back side and head for that.

To enter the park, you have to drive through a gate just off the highway. You'll need to get out and open the gate to let your car through, then close it again behind you. Then keep left to reach the trailhead and a substantial parking area .4 miles from the gate. I actually parked outside the gate and walked in because I was alone and the gate was a bit intimidating. If I went back again, I'd go ahead and drive in.

I went on a warm Sunday afternoon and only saw a few other hikers, but plenty of wild goats, a few cows and constant birdsong.

Been awhile since doing an actual hike, first time on this trail. Moderate to hard depending on skill level. My husband and I completed it in 2.5 hours

This was an average hike minus the incredible view of Kohala and Maui. The loose rock and lack of shade along most of this trail made it somewhat difficult to climb. This is definitely not an easy hike.

I am sure the views are amazing but I went on a voggy, overcast day. still great views. highly recommended. I am a 50 year young semi out of shape, 230 pounder and did the trail in just over 3 hours. most of the trail is easy, paved road. the last mile is steep.

I absolutely loved this hike. My wife and I did it in mid-January. It's not an easy hike and shouldn't be rated as such. I would rate as moderate. 3.5+ miles straight up; then the same straight down. If you're in decent shape it's a fun workout. We saw goats, sheep, cattle along the trail. The views from the top are breath taking. There are a few interesting, old structures along the way as well.

We came across several barn and family homes with a lot of cattle. we took the right road and then ended up on a cattle farm and weren't sure if we were trespassing. would have loved to have gone to top, beautiful area. will rate 5 star when we reach peak

Definitely should not be rated as an easy hike. Uphill for almost 2k ft. is not easy! Down is easy however. Took my wife and I about 70 min. to the top and about 55 min. down. We did not stop either direction except for about 15 at the peak. Once you get to the cinder cone you have much better views. We did go on a cloudy day so it wasn't too hot, but did impede the views. If you go when it's sunny head out early to avoid the heat. Have fun!

We hiked the Hala pepe trail on a cloudy afternoon. It starts at the same place as this one, but all trails doesn't have an entry for it. This is a short one mile loop advertised at the check in station. It starts out on a road track and turns a corner to follow a cinder lined fire break... Very rough going as you have to watch your step. Tripping here would be painful. Most of the signs marking special trees are missing. Lots of invasive plants.

uphill all the way not sure why it is considered easy when Captain cook memorial has less elevation and shorter and is considered moderate.

beautiful hike. carry at least 2 liters of water per person. encountered a couple of skittish cows that acted like they have never seen humans. saw a large number of birds. all in all this is a great hike.