Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone Trail

Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Waikoloa, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

2043 feet

This is a unique geological feature that looks like jello! It used to have an obsidian mine and is still part of a working ranch. This is an easy hike to the top where you can see Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Hualalei and North Kohala. This trail is a recent addition to the State Parks in 2005 - called Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone State Park. There are a couple of easy trails around the area, but this one takes you up to the top of Pu'u Wa'awa'a. Some like to take their bikes up and do the downhill, while others just enjoy the open views from the top. This is an easy hike with views of all the main mountains on the Big Island.

good hike, nice views. took us 3.5 hours. seemed shorter than 8 miles

Boot camp 2018. On the Big Island for two weeks and trekked here four times. Each day different weather and pastoral scenes. We challenged ourselves to push through to the top without rest stops, knowing we would be rewarded with extraordinary views, and best of all, quietude. Highly recommend if this is your sort of thing.

Great views from the top! This is a steep climb in the sun. Go early in the day before the heat and wear proper hiking shoes. I wore normal tennis shoes which was fine, but I was slipping on the lava rocks on the way down.

It is more like 7 miles round trip: 3.5 miles of relentless climbing to the top. Nearly 2,000 feet of elevation gain in those 3.5 miles should give you an idea of just what you’re in for. I ran it, but it’s probably not too hard at a more moderate pace (>

Nice views of all the volcanoes and fun to see pigs, sheep, goats and cows. It is only 6.9 Miles not the 8 miles listed.

loved this hike. great views. beautiful scenes.

Good challenge and very secluded, not the most scenic of hikes. Some quality cow interactions along the way.

Fantastic hike/run! If you want a great workout, a chance to get away from the crowds and a spectacular view, this is the trail you want. It's uphill all the way to the top but it's gradual and it's Hawaii! I ran into some cows on the way up but they eventually moved off the road and let me pass. The sheep near the top were fun to watch run down the steep sides of the inner cone. I really loved this hike. I went early in the morning (7:00-gate opens at 6:00) and only saw one family on my way back (about a mile from where I parked my car.)

I see this hike is now marked as Moderate, which seems right. The climbing starts gently, on a paved road (closed to traffic), then switches to grass and gets steeper and steeper toward the top. One section of loose rock in the middle was hard to walk on, but it was only about a hundred yards long. Where the pavement changes to grass, in the area of the abandoned farm buildings, there are a few offshoot roads and no markings, but you can see a path following the contour of the hill up and around the back side and head for that.

To enter the park, you have to drive through a gate just off the highway. You'll need to get out and open the gate to let your car through, then close it again behind you. Then keep left to reach the trailhead and a substantial parking area .4 miles from the gate. I actually parked outside the gate and walked in because I was alone and the gate was a bit intimidating. If I went back again, I'd go ahead and drive in.

I went on a warm Sunday afternoon and only saw a few other hikers, but plenty of wild goats, a few cows and constant birdsong.

Been awhile since doing an actual hike, first time on this trail. Moderate to hard depending on skill level. My husband and I completed it in 2.5 hours

This was an average hike minus the incredible view of Kohala and Maui. The loose rock and lack of shade along most of this trail made it somewhat difficult to climb. This is definitely not an easy hike.

I am sure the views are amazing but I went on a voggy, overcast day. still great views. highly recommended. I am a 50 year young semi out of shape, 230 pounder and did the trail in just over 3 hours. most of the trail is easy, paved road. the last mile is steep.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

I absolutely loved this hike. My wife and I did it in mid-January. It's not an easy hike and shouldn't be rated as such. I would rate as moderate. 3.5+ miles straight up; then the same straight down. If you're in decent shape it's a fun workout. We saw goats, sheep, cattle along the trail. The views from the top are breath taking. There are a few interesting, old structures along the way as well.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

We came across several barn and family homes with a lot of cattle. we took the right road and then ended up on a cattle farm and weren't sure if we were trespassing. would have loved to have gone to top, beautiful area. will rate 5 star when we reach peak

Monday, February 27, 2017

Definitely should not be rated as an easy hike. Uphill for almost 2k ft. is not easy! Down is easy however. Took my wife and I about 70 min. to the top and about 55 min. down. We did not stop either direction except for about 15 at the peak. Once you get to the cinder cone you have much better views. We did go on a cloudy day so it wasn't too hot, but did impede the views. If you go when it's sunny head out early to avoid the heat. Have fun!

Monday, February 27, 2017

We hiked the Hala pepe trail on a cloudy afternoon. It starts at the same place as this one, but all trails doesn't have an entry for it. This is a short one mile loop advertised at the check in station. It starts out on a road track and turns a corner to follow a cinder lined fire break... Very rough going as you have to watch your step. Tripping here would be painful. Most of the signs marking special trees are missing. Lots of invasive plants.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

uphill all the way not sure why it is considered easy when Captain cook memorial has less elevation and shorter and is considered moderate.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

beautiful hike. carry at least 2 liters of water per person. encountered a couple of skittish cows that acted like they have never seen humans. saw a large number of birds. all in all this is a great hike.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was an amazing 8 mile round trip hike up to the top of the cinder cone. Along the way we saw sheep's and goats...once you get up half way there are some benches and a grassy spot to sit and relax and enjoy the view. Keep heading up the hill and you will reach the top and the view is amazing!! You feel like you are on top of the world!!

Sunday, February 21, 2016

First off it is not 2.5 miles out an back, it is almost 7 miles round trip. Second I wouldn't consider it easy per se because while yes the first almost half is an old paved road, then it goes to old 4WD roads, it is varying degrees of up the entire way. If you start any later than 10 then you may experience some heat. It does start over 2k feet up, and you climb almost 2k feet but it can still feel stifling.

Having said all of that, this is the must hike on the Island for me. For a fit, advanced hiker it takes maybe an hour and a half to get to the top and less than an hour coming down. As I stated before though it is all up hill, and then all downhill. But there are a couple benches up at the top and a completely expansive view of the island so it is a great place to have lunch.

On a clear day you can see Kohala, Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Hualalai and Haleakala on Maui! It is so tranquil and peaceful up at the top, making this one of my absolute favorite hikes to do. (I have now done it 4 times).

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Great hike but do not be mislead. From the parking area it is 2.8 miles to the turnaround point with over 1,700 feet in elevation gain.

Awesome view and not technical but it leans to the moderate level of difficulty rather than easy.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

We took the Ohia trail which made this track slightly longer. A bit of a hazy view at the top of Wa'awa'a which was not too good for photography. All in all a great hike , a very picturesque one.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

This is a great 3 hour hike. I felt like I was walking the Scottish Highlands not the Big Island. Vegetation was lush and bright green. Lots of wildlife - we saw billy goats, Rams, cows, wild turkeys, sheep, yellow birds.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

3.2 miles to the top. Steady incline. Took me 3 hours round trip. 2 up and 1 down. I stopped more than a few times to check out the view and catch my breath on the way up. Very little shade at the top. But found a nice tree to eat a snack and rest while looking towards Waikaloa. Was happy to have clouds on the way down. Goats and sheep and cattle along the way. As well as lots of yellow birds. Nice hike

Saturday, June 27, 2015

It was hard up hill, a good workout but hot in the sun, not a lot of shade, better higher up after the paved road ends ends. Lots of farm animals, sheep, cows, goats, turkeys, cool view of the middle ground of the island. Looked like Scotland at the top.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

FYI, you have to open the main gate to drive in and then registrar at the first building. Then continue to drive further up the road to the second building and park your car. This is where the trail head is. Trail is not marked so follow the road and use a trail map. It's 3.14 miles from where you can park your car to the top. Continuous 12% grade from the start to the top of the trail. Bring plenty of water. Great view at the top.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This park opened in 2005, I believe. A terrific hike with view of 4 of the 5 Big Island volcanos. The trailhead is located between mile markers 21 and 22 on highway 190. The park is open between 6 am and 6 pm weekdays for hiking. It's a relatively short drive from Kona. The elevation gain is given as 2,000 feet by other sources which seems about right to me. Stop and register at the first "hut" after the main gate. There are maps there. The trail is well maintained but not always clearly marked.