Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone Trail

Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kailua Kona, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This is a unique geological feature that looks like jello! It used to have an obsidian mine and is still part of a working ranch. This is an easy hike to the top where you can see Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Hualalei and North Kohala. This trail is a recent addition to the State Parks in 2005 - called Pu'u Wa'a Wa'a Cinder Cone State Park. There are a couple of easy trails around the area, but this one takes you up to the top of Pu'u Wa'awa'a. Some like to take their bikes up and do the downhill, while others just enjoy the open views from the top. This is an easy hike with views of all the main mountains on the Big Island.

I am sure the views are amazing but I went on a buggy, overcast day. still great views. highly recommended. I am a 50 year young semi out of shape, 230 pounder and did the trail in just over 3 hours. most of the trail is easy, paved road. the last mile is steep.

I absolutely loved this hike. My wife and I did it in mid-January. It's not an easy hike and shouldn't be rated as such. I would rate as moderate. 3.5+ miles straight up; then the same straight down. If you're in decent shape it's a fun workout. We saw goats, sheep, cattle along the trail. The views from the top are breath taking. There are a few interesting, old structures along the way as well.

We came across several barn and family homes with a lot of cattle. we took the right road and then ended up on a cattle farm and weren't sure if we were trespassing. would have loved to have gone to top, beautiful area. will rate 5 star when we reach peak

Definitely should not be rated as an easy hike. Uphill for almost 2k ft. is not easy! Down is easy however. Took my wife and I about 70 min. to the top and about 55 min. down. We did not stop either direction except for about 15 at the peak. Once you get to the cinder cone you have much better views. We did go on a cloudy day so it wasn't too hot, but did impede the views. If you go when it's sunny head out early to avoid the heat. Have fun!

We hiked the Hala pepe trail on a cloudy afternoon. It starts at the same place as this one, but all trails doesn't have an entry for it. This is a short one mile loop advertised at the check in station. It starts out on a road track and turns a corner to follow a cinder lined fire break... Very rough going as you have to watch your step. Tripping here would be painful. Most of the signs marking special trees are missing. Lots of invasive plants.

uphill all the way not sure why it is considered easy when Captain cook memorial has less elevation and shorter and is considered moderate.

beautiful hike. carry at least 2 liters of water per person. encountered a couple of skittish cows that acted like they have never seen humans. saw a large number of birds. all in all this is a great hike.

This was an amazing 8 mile round trip hike up to the top of the cinder cone. Along the way we saw sheep's and goats...once you get up half way there are some benches and a grassy spot to sit and relax and enjoy the view. Keep heading up the hill and you will reach the top and the view is amazing!! You feel like you are on top of the world!!

Sunday, April 17, 2016