Puu Pia Trail

Puu Pia Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great trail to go running at a moderate pace if it's not raining! (because then it would be muddy and slippery) beautiful view at the top (don't go past the bench at the top!- it's not really a trail and you go through a bunch of thorn bushes that leads to the electric pole where the view is the same from the end of the trail at the bench- not worth the thorns! lol)

Great hike . A little muddy but cool on a hot day. Mostly covered hike with breathtaking views. Took about 2 hours. Great for a beginner.

Very nice trail. Tends to be slick in the morning especially. Lots of roots create a natural staircase for much of the trip. Nice view at the top.

Gave 4 stars because it is actually an alright walk.
Like other comments, you will find many slippery and muddy areas. I would recommend bring shoes with considerable grip and or shoes you don’t want to get to ruined eg don’t bring your road running shoes. View at the end is unique, you find yourself surrounded by the mountains with a view of the city to your front.
Distance is fine. It’s makes for a nice afternoon walk with plenty of over hanging canopy to shade you from the sun.

I would rate this trail as moderate not easy. I think it’s rated easy because of the distance. It started out pretty flat, but the last mile of the trail was steep in several places. The roots helped with the climb but it was very muddy and slick. The view at the end was worth the climb. Bring spare clothes you will get muddy.

did this hike after manoa falls. only saw a couple of people on it. can get very muddy! nice view at the top, not a bad up and back

Perfect trail to bring my dog!

so much fun

A nice quick run up and down the trail this morning. It was slightly wet and muddy in places. I can’t imagine what this place looks like after rainfall. There were families, including young and old, climbing and descending. Everyone looked like the were having a good time.

The view from the top is ok. Nothing to write home about.... but this is Hawaii and experiences and memories are what makes life so special.

This was a great hike and had a great view from the top. Simple enough to take the whole family.

Easy. Good short morning workout. Love the wild boar scare! ;)

Did this one yesterday to work off the anxiety and adrenaline from the bomb scare. Pretty hike, nice views, no point traveling the last little bit past the top of the hill though as it is overgrown and prickly with no real additional scenery

Nice short trail, a more quiet alternative to Manoa Falls (but without waterfall). From the second viewing point to the front of the mountain the path is very overgrown.

Easy hike, but pretty gross right now. Thought a week after the last rain would be enough to firm it up, but it was a muddy mess. Give it a few days if you're planning to go soon.

nice quick hike really clears all the drugs and alcohol youve been doing lately

Fairly easy hike. Decent view from the first lookout area over Manoa Valley towards paradise park. Second lookout area is looking straight from the back of Manoa Valley into town (Honolulu).

Really cool trail. Doesn't take long. A little slippery when it's rained. Well worth it!

Easy trail that my dog absolutely loved. It got pretty "rooty" at times, but worth it for the yummy strawberry gauvas at the top.

A lot of fun. It hasn't rained in a while so we crossed the water bed & what I think was an alternative path, super fun. Once we got higher up the trail seemed to get harder & harder to find. I brought my dog & I had to carry her through the brush. We also heard some creepy voices in the dark... weird but still a lot of fun

The view was beautiful. Halfway up it started to rain, therefore the trail became more slippery and muddy. My husband and I decided to take the kids and it was a wonderful family experience for us.

Nice scenery. Good for trail running. Good place for beginners. Not challenging at all

Fun little hike with great views! Peaceful trail easy to follow, jungle feel and good view point for 270 degree views of the mountains. A bit slippery when raining and lots of tree roots make it a little more difficult than expected.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Nice walk in the forest, lots of strawberry guava. I wish it were longer

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Lovely wide-open and well-marked and maintained trail. At the back of the trail, where the trail turns makai, there is an obvious side trail that goes straight down the hill. This connects to the seven bridges trail which goes either back to the valley (left) or onward to waterfalls or Manoa Middle Ridge trail up to the Koʻolau Summit.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

I did it when it was raining so was muddy. But great view of the mountains in the end. I would do it again when it's not raining.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great trail! Crowded on holidays and weekends. All up then all down. It's in a great neighborhood so neighborhood parking rules apply - don't block driveways, mail box access, walkways and sidewalks. Happy trails!!

Sunday, April 09, 2017

I don't know why people say there's no view?! There's a spectacular view of the valley near the end. Awesome, short hike!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

The trail was good. We enjoyed the trail more so than the view at the top...it was pretty anti-climactic. But it was still pretty nice! We recommend not to hike it in flip flops for there are a lot of tree roots on the trails that could be hazardous.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

It had been raining for about an hour when I started my hike. Check out the photo where it looks like you're hiking up a creek. I was in sneakers so it took a little while longer avoiding puddles, mud, etc. I went about a mile to the summit of the first ridge, that's where I turned around, not a bad view there. If I was wearing pants and proper hiking boots/shoes I would have continued. However, as the trail started going down it narrowed to about 6 inches wide, with knee high brush, and I couldn't tell where it went beyond 15 ft ahead. Despite hiking in the pouring rain I enjoyed it. Just know what you're getting into.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Decent enough hike, prefer one with a more scenic finish.