Puu O Hulu

Puu O Hulu is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is one of the shortest hikes on Oahu. For many the drive out to this location will take longer than the hike up to the top of Puu O Hulu. Be prepared for a hot and dry climb to a set of bunkers with some of the best views of Nanakuli and Waianae. Puu O Hulu is a small ridge that is situated on the ocean side between Nanakuli and Ma'ili. It is clearly distinguishable from its double back that makes it look like a camel's hump with a water tank lodged in the middle. This split between the ocean side (kai) versus the inland side (uka) makes for an interesting hike albeit an very open exposed ridge hike. It can get narrow in certain spots with drop offs to the left and right; though nothing dangerous. There are a number of bunkers at the top with the most spectacular pillbox painted a hot pink(!) Take your time to enjoy the 360 degree views. On a clear day you can see all the way to Kaena Point in the west, Mount Kaala in the North and Kapolei/Campbell Industrial Park in the south.

1 hour ago

I agree with the reviews that said this is more moderate than easy. Steep with drop offs close along the way. Going down it's easy to slip in the dirt and loose gravel. Gorgeous views once you get to the top. Do bring lots of water.

Nice beginners hike with beautiful views of the west side. Usually very hot hike so bring plenty of water.

GO EARLY!!! Went around 9 AM and it was extremely hot. There's only a few spots to get shade so you'll feel the heat. awesome views though.

Did this hike today with a good group. Wasn't too rough distance wise but the heat made some of us almost pass out from heat stroke. Going down was pretty tricky because of how washed out the path is with loose gravel. Be careful with kids and bring more water than you think you will need.

We started at 8 in the morning, it wasn't too hot. Thankfully there was some trade winds here and there, the climb up isn't bad. Our 7 year old lab had no issues getting or or down, however coming down can be a little slippery from loose gravel and rocks. All the views on each pillbox are all breath taking. Take lots of water since there's no shade. The highest pillbox can be a little sketchy since it's such a narrow rocky ridge but once there, the views are incredible. I carried my 10 month old on my back and let her sit out on the pillboxes as we all caught our breath and took a little break. Park at the 8 light pole and you will see the trail.

Family of four taking their first hike in Hawaii. This was an easy climb for our 10 and 8 year old and neither my husband nor I were uncomfortable with them on the trail, even when they were ahead of us and unable to be seen. Going up is relatively steep, but a few shade trees help along the route. The views are beautiful and the pill boxes are a good, breezy rest at the top. Bring plenty of water and a snack. Our youngest was wanting one at the top! Neither my husband or I workout regularly and it was completely doable and enjoyable! The kids say, "if your kid is under 7, I don't suggest this hike." There you have it folks...from the mouths of babes. Enjoy!

Thought it would be crazy to hike in Waianae. But it wasn't bad at all! Got there and down before it got too hot to handle the heat. Loved the PINK pillbox the most! (061217)

Best "bang for your buck" hike on O'ahu! Moderately steep climb most of the way, but the relatively short length makes it very doable even for those who are not in the best shape. Views at the top are amazing, especially near sunset. Well worth the effort!

Great hike! Pretty easy and quick uphill climb, but go early or the hear from the sun will make the hike more difficult. The climb was definitely worth the view.

Amazing! Did this hike a month before I left Oahu.

Amazing! Did this hike a month before I left Oahu.

GO EARLY. Hot.

Agree with reviews that hike would be better classified moderate. Hiked yesterday with my 11 and 9 year old. Was very hot mid-day when we were there, but had plenty of water. We stopped and rested as needed. View and fun pillboxes at the top were sure worth it!