Puu O Hulu

Puu O Hulu is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is one of the shortest hikes on Oahu. For many the drive out to this location will take longer than the hike up to the top of Puu O Hulu. Be prepared for a hot and dry climb to a set of bunkers with some of the best views of Nanakuli and Waianae. Puu O Hulu is a small ridge that is situated on the ocean side between Nanakuli and Ma'ili. It is clearly distinguishable from its double back that makes it look like a camel's hump with a water tank lodged in the middle. This split between the ocean side (kai) versus the inland side (uka) makes for an interesting hike albeit an very open exposed ridge hike. It can get narrow in certain spots with drop offs to the left and right; though nothing dangerous. There are a number of bunkers at the top with the most spectacular pillbox painted a hot pink(!) Take your time to enjoy the 360 degree views. On a clear day you can see all the way to Kaena Point in the west, Mount Kaala in the North and Kapolei/Campbell Industrial Park in the south.

Great hike. Went on. Saturday so it was busy. Hard to get pictures as people were laying around on the bunkers so they were always in your shots, locals I assume as they had dogs The hike was good. A few areas near the top that were narrow and not for the faint of heart.

Great moderate hike with fantastic pay off views at the top! Took family this past week and we seen whales from the first bunker box! Fun trail with moderate incline.

We went off trail and scaled straight up the side of the ridge. It was short but somewhat challenging. The views from the pillboxes are amazing.

Easy hike. Great view of the west coast of Oahu. I ended up staying for the sunset. Very nice.

Hello everyone, I found an item of value at one of the pillboxes this morning. Trying to find the owner. If you lost something recently on this hike go ahead and text or call me. If you can describe the item and prove it is yours, I will gladly meet up with you to return it. My number is (616) 217-6783.

This is my second time on this trail and the trail conditions seem pretty consistent. The trail is easy to follow, and the views are spectacular. Be careful when you park to make sure you don't leave valuables in your car. I've never had any trouble, but i have seen broken glass at the parking area. This is not a long hike but do take water. Sun is pretty hot over head. There will be a lot of foot traffic on the trail. You can get up on top of all the bunkers. the pink one is the trickiest. You might need a fellow hiker to give you a boost.

Perfect for an enjoyable sunset hike!

If you go early enough it is shaded all the way up. Definitely dog friendly, my corgi loved it. The view at the top is amazing. I would absolutely do this hike again.

Beautiful climb, just the right length, totally worth the view at the top! would do it again:)

We live in the neighborhood right next to this hike. It’s our go to when we want to get a quick hike in. Not a hard hike, but it will get you breathing. I’ve done it several times with a baby in a carrier strapped to my chest.

Dog friendly and not too many people on the trail! Definitely harder than expected with the steep incline, but the views at the top are worth I️t!

Steep incline and beautiful views. This is an excellent short hike on Oahu’s Waianae coast!

My wife and I’s first Trail in Hawaii. It was incredible with fantastic views from the pill boxes
Would highly recommend this Trail, it took us 1 1/2 hours round trip but we aren’t avid hikers

Amazing views, a must do.

Short and strenuous with beautiful views. Parking is plentiful as well. Highly recommend!

Challenging enough that you'll feel like you've gotten some good exercise when you're done, but not so difficult that the average person in decent shape can't do it. our 10 year old dog made it, but she was pretty tired. Great view and cool bunkers at the top!

Get up early to beat the heat! We started our hike at 0730 and by the time we got up it was starting to get toasty. The views are so worth it! Make sure to follow the trail, we tried taking a path that looked like a short cut, and ended up climbing the cables straight up the mountain! If you keep on the cut path, it's a moderate uphill hike. Pill boxes were awesome, graffiti was dope. Would be a cool sunrise hike.

Hike was pretty easy. Most of it was shaded but still worked up a good sweat! Fun and easy hike to do and only took maybe an 1!

Group of four adults and our Golden Retrieve. It was our dogs first hike, and he did great. Needed to bring more water for him. Hike was dry and trail was well defined. Multiple cool pillboxes with great views. There were a lot of flies and gnats at the top. We’ll definitely do this one again and bring our kids too.

Not bad at all.