Puu O Hulu

Puu O Hulu is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is one of the shortest hikes on Oahu. For many the drive out to this location will take longer than the hike up to the top of Puu O Hulu. Be prepared for a hot and dry climb to a set of bunkers with some of the best views of Nanakuli and Waianae. Puu O Hulu is a small ridge that is situated on the ocean side between Nanakuli and Ma'ili. It is clearly distinguishable from its double back that makes it look like a camel's hump with a water tank lodged in the middle. This split between the ocean side (kai) versus the inland side (uka) makes for an interesting hike albeit an very open exposed ridge hike. It can get narrow in certain spots with drop offs to the left and right; though nothing dangerous. There are a number of bunkers at the top with the most spectacular pillbox painted a hot pink(!) Take your time to enjoy the 360 degree views. On a clear day you can see all the way to Kaena Point in the west, Mount Kaala in the North and Kapolei/Campbell Industrial Park in the south.

50 minutes ago

Steady incline all the way to the top. Very little shade. We started about 8am & it was already hot so bring water. That view though! So worth it!

Hardly any shade...can get really get hot midday. Beautiful views...

I love this hike! Short but so sweet! My family did this in an hour and a half but we spent half an hour at the top. Really just an hour or 75 minutes of hiking. As another reviewer said, this hike is easier than the Lanikai Pillbox one. My 10 year old daughter had no problems. We started at 9:00am. It was already hot. We each went through two 16.9oz. bottles of water. 9:00am start was fine. 8:00am start would be better!

Beautiful scenery when you get to the top!

My first hike here in Hawaii and it was amazing! Definitely worth it. Took a little over an hour to go up and back down.

Love this trail. It's challenging enough and the views are amazing.

This was my first hike on the west side and I wish I had known it was going to be HOT. Went through my entire bottle of water (about 2 standard plastic bottles worth) at the top and then went to find more water once we were at the bottom. The trail itself is very visible, great views of the beautiful blue waters, and would be great for sunset. The graffiti in some of the pillboxes is very pretty, and the pink pillbox is very inspiring and vibrant. I would recommend bringing lots of water and sunscreen on this hike, and doing it either early in the morning or late towards sunset.