Puu O Hulu

Puu O Hulu is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from January until January.

This is one of the shortest hikes on Oahu. For many the drive out to this location will take longer than the hike up to the top of Puu O Hulu. Be prepared for a hot and dry climb to a set of bunkers with some of the best views of Nanakuli and Waianae. Puu O Hulu is a small ridge that is situated on the ocean side between Nanakuli and Ma'ili. It is clearly distinguishable from its double back that makes it look like a camel's hump with a water tank lodged in the middle. This split between the ocean side (kai) versus the inland side (uka) makes for an interesting hike albeit an very open exposed ridge hike. It can get narrow in certain spots with drop offs to the left and right; though nothing dangerous. There are a number of bunkers at the top with the most spectacular pillbox painted a hot pink(!) Take your time to enjoy the 360 degree views. On a clear day you can see all the way to Kaena Point in the west, Mount Kaala in the North and Kapolei/Campbell Industrial Park in the south.

15 minutes ago

Great hike! The only thing that kept us from giving it 5 stars is all the grass you have to walk through. We will definitely do it again!

This was a great hike I would have to say it should be rated as moderate in my opinion. Short just under a mile each way but uphill almost the whole way up with little reprieve and some areas that are rocky and may be a little difficult for some. I will definitely be doing this again and recommend it to anyone considering giving it a try. The views from up top are amazing.

Short hike, steep in spots, muddy and slippery due to the rain lately but easy overall for the avid hiker. The views on top...SPECTACULAR!! Our Great Dane went as well and did great. We went about 8am so the sun was up and pretty hot at some points. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Loved it but I wish the whales were out!

The view at the top was amazing but this was not an easy hike at all. Worth the struggle to get to the top.

i would consider this moderate not easy. it's a constant incline and pretty steep at some points. gorgeous view!

I chose this one off of the "kid friendly" description. I don't know if there are multiple ways up, but the way we took was not kid friendly. Lots of rocky areas, hard for little legs to climb the rock and the sand make it slippery. Definitely good for older kids but not what we were expecting.

A handful of steep portions. Definitely don't attempt at night! Gorgeous sunset views!

Dog friendly hike. Nice views at top. Smooth and quick hike.

good easy hike.

Great little hike. My 3 year old championed this and did not consider it her hardest hike. So I agree it's easy. Going down was a little tougher for her but I only had to lift her a couple times and as she said "see, we didn't need any bandaids, that was tricky but we did it!" We explored three of the fighting positions and ate a pancake breakfast at the top. There is loose rock and gravel on parts of the trail but plenty of room along the whole trail.