Pu'u Manamana Turnover Trail

Pu'u Manamana Turnover Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

closed

One of the more difficult and treacherous hikes on the island of Oahu. The hike takes you up to the rock formation known as Crouching Lion and then rides a ridgeline up and down. Very good challenge for the sure-footed hiker. The trail head is passed the fishpond, heading back towards Kaneohe direction, near a telephone pole that is marked with a fluorescent marker. There is a rope at the trail head to aid your start. Amazing views of the Kahana Ahupuaa (land division). This is not an easy hike. Balance is crucial. Skip this one if you are afraid of heights and be careful if it is gusty. Note that this trail does not attempt Pu'u Manamana at all. It goes to a turnover point in which most will stop and traverse down and out to complete the loop. True Manamana lies ahead and is only for the extreme hiker. A variant of this trail is to approach it from Kahekili instead.

Me and my husband hiked this trail on 22.10.17. It was no wind and shiny. Meaning bring 3l water per person. We use to hike longer trails, but this is jungle. 1/3 beautiful views with sharp ridges. 2/3 getting throught dense MUDDY jungle. Trail progress is very slow and exhausting. We give 5 stars, because we had enought water, snacks, and excitement.
Do not recommend in windy and rainy weather. Enjoy :)

Harder than you expect. The first mile is pretty fun if you’re adventurous. Then it’s heavy shrubbage and jungle. Not too fun to get through.

Most of all, don’t treat this like a 3.7mi hike. I’m currently laying down on the trail 8hrs in. I puked. My wife puked. We underestimated the trail and didn’t bring enough water so I hiked down, got more water, and hiked it back up. I’m about .3mi from the end now. I may be biased because I feel like death and underestimated this trail, but I give it three stars for an oahu hike. Oahu has epic hikes so rating it’s hikes is like rating a castle. They are all Grand and awesome and epic. This one just kicks your ass too and personally I only enjoyed the first mile, unless you’re in the mood for a jungly tough hike. The first mile was almost my favorite on oahu though, so check it out and turn back at the foresty part. Maybe a 5 rating on mainland. Three on oahu standards.

Though we didn’t finish this hike, we loved it! Passed crouching lion where most people stop and headed up to the ridge line. So pretty and very windy yesterday. Theres climbing involved and it gets very steep. We got rained on a bit and about 20 people we coming down on the way up. You need all day to do the loop. Bring water and snacks! Be prepared for wind, rain, and mud. And don’t forget your gopro! We had to pick up our daughter and ran out of time, but can’t wait to try it again!

Don't let the modest 3.7 miles and 2100ft elevation gain deceive you. This is a very challenging trail. For reference, I hike both Olomana (to 3rd peak and back) and Ka'au Crater in about 4:15. This hike took me and two friends 7hrs. To be fair, if conditions were a little better, I think I could have done it in 5:30-6hr. Still. The ascent beyond the crouching lion hike super fun, yet dizzying and treacherous at times. It's no wonder lives have been lost here. Don't get in over your head. Once you really get up there, you may not wanna go back. The infamous barbed Uluhe fern grows to shoulder length and higher, they nearly shredded my shins raw. The foliage was so thick on each side that it was difficult to see the ground (whether it's mud, rock, slippery roots, or no ground at all!) much less squeeze thru.

Recommendations: trailrunners, tho I wore my hiking sandals which worked great for my tough feet, the muddiness was the hard part for me. Minimum 3L water, and some energy packed snacks. Map/GPS/AllTrails duh. It's a pretty straight forward trail, BUT, if you were to go left instead of right you might end up on Kahekili ridge which I've heard is way gnarly. The junction for the turnover trail was very faint. I only barely recognized it and probably would have gone passed if I had not stopped to check the track. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: there are some (like me) who won't listen. For you stubborn kindred spirits, have fun with that lol. It's a trade off, be hot, or get your arms and legs scraped up to hell by the uluhe. There's no avoided it up there, and it goes on a while!

Overall a great challenge that I look forward to doing again sometime once I forget how much I suffered in some parts. But note to self: bring the runners for the way down.

IG @niiimz_

There's three parts to this trail when doing the full loop making it a tough hike to judge, let me explain. Ascending on the east side of the trail ( connecting to Crouching Lion- a very nice pitstop on the way) easily gets an 11/10- breathtaking views, tough obstacles and a few thrills for those whom seek it. Then there's the second part, it's all overgrown, muddy and full of trips. If your smarter than me and read the comments like I'm making now.. wear long pants, long sleeves, and bring plenty of water- also pay attention to your map when near the turn to home stretch as another trail branches off at the peak. During my hike I would have said it's completely useless to even do the full loop, until I came to the decent (west side). For those of you that like a little thrill and speed you can Tarzan style down hundreds of feet in minutes, if your not up for that, it's real easy to take it easy-seeing as the worst part is already behind you by now. The best sights by far are on the ascension with a few good ones throughout the rest. Definitely recommend, take care and watch your footing!!!!!

It's a gorgeous hike with amazing views! If you do the long hike and loop trail, bring water, snacks, wear long pants and gloves helped a lot too! It's a super workout too! I'd start early in the morning to do this one. It rained on us and so be prepared because it started off sunny. I'd bring extra dry socks too if I had known. I think this is my favorite hike so far! It's not easy so make sure you're ready to get sweaty and dirty.

I loved this hike! So far my favorite on Oahu. It gets a little sketchy but has amazing views that are so worth it (as long as you're not afraid of heights and you enjoy a little adrenaline rush).

This was the hardest hike I've done so far. The trail isn't maintained and the markers have been taken down so please trek safely! It's super easy to underestimate this loop trail so be sure to plan ahead and make sure to bring tape to mark the trail.