Pu'u Manamana Turnover Trail

Pu'u Manamana Turnover Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

beach

One of the more difficult and treacherous hikes on the island of Oahu. The hike takes you up to the rock formation known as Crouching Lion and then rides a ridgeline up and down. Very good challenge for the sure-footed hiker. The trail head is passed the fishpond, heading back towards Kaneohe direction, near a telephone pole that is marked with a fluorescent marker. There is a rope at the trail head to aid your start. Amazing views of the Kahana Ahupuaa (land division). This is not an easy hike. Balance is crucial. Skip this one if you are afraid of heights and be careful if it is gusty. Note that this trail does not attempt Pu'u Manamana at all. It goes to a turnover point in which most will stop and traverse down and out to complete the loop. True Manamana lies ahead and is only for the extreme hiker. A variant of this trail is to approach it from Kahekili instead.

love this hike. wear long pants, solid shoes, and bring water. don't do it in the rain.

Awesome, quick, fairly easy hike. Only took an hour even with pictures and chatting with other people on top of the peaks. Enter at the signs that say do not enter. There are 3 sets of these signs across the road from the parking lot. Any of the 3 entrances get you to the top. Trails seemed to be well worn and plenty of hand holds on steep spots. Don't do if it's been raining though. The steep spots are the consistency of kitty litter and I'm sure very slippery when wet.

Aloha! I do hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out my Instagram Mike.Karas and shoot me a message if you have any questions/are interested in hiking. You can email me as well at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

5/5 if you do crouching lion or go up to the banner someone placed up after the scramble and then double back. Don't do if you're afraid of heights!! I also don't recommend the full hike, after that point you really don't get much else in the way of views; it's a very long hike, and it's very overgrown. If you do go, definitely bring long pants and maybe a long shirt. And find yourself a good spiderweb stick.

AmaZing views! Super sketchy towards the top and a bit washed out and steep

we were actually trying to hike the makaua falls trail and accidentally veered off to this loop by following the pink marker flags. it was a great hike though. because we were trying for the makaua falls and that is recommended to do after a rain, it was actually raining when we went. This was actually not recommended for the Pu'u Manamana trail and I completely understand why. We didn't quite make it to the tip top because it was continuing to rain and getting slippery and we felt the conditions were getting unsafe. getting back down, since we didn't do the loop, we had to go back down where we started from which was slippery and needs to be done carefully. We were successful and overall it was a great hike. Great views at the top. Is a bit narrow in sections and pants may be better than shorts. Definitely should NOT do in the rain. Wear good shoes and take your time. I can't wait to do it again in better conditions when we can actually finish it.

The trail was extremely vegetated I would recommend just doing crouching line and then going as far as the skinny dangerous part when the rock ends turn around. Everything else is jungle

Loved this hike, worth every bit of the steep climb and slick descent. Not for the faint of heart or fearful of heights, but if you're willing to brave it you will be rewarded with epic views... and probably sore muscles.