Pu’u Ma’eli’eli Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Pu’u Ma’eli’eli Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kaneohe, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

Also known as “Digging Hill"

Great hike.... All up hill, lots of mud after a rain but the views are amazing.....

easy to find. did it with 2 kids (ages 7 and 4). weather was good, can see slippery areas if it had rained. views were awesome.

Worth the climb for the great view of Kaneohe Bay

One of my favorites. The view at the end is breathtaking!

Wonderful view at the end, but this was a hard trail for me. Several areas are very steep, thankfully a rope is there for some help. If it’s raining don’t go. You’ll never make it up the hills. They’re very slick already.

Awesome trail with beautiful views of the bay! Steep slope at the beginning makes it a little challenging on a wet day.

The view is amazing, definitely worth the hike. It is a little steep and really slippery at some points. Park at McDonald's, the trail is off the highway right after the apartment complex. There are markers throughout the trail but easy to miss, just follow the most trekked path. It's a little less than 2 miles to get to the top. We completed it with 3 kids and a baby in a carrier.

No parking. Park at McDonalds and walk along the highway. The beginning of the trail is easy to miss but there is a yellow marker to show the beginning. My group, 3 mid 20 year olds, did this hike after it rained in the morning and this was a difficult slippery hike and we fell multiple times and got very muddy. Besides that we loved the challenge and loved the beautiful scenery on the way up. And then the views from the top were amazing. We recommend.

The view at the end was great. I wouldn’t recommend going after heavy/moderate rain as the trail can be super slimy in parts all over the hike. Heading down after it rains is near impossible. And bring bug spray. As it turns out, mosquitos aren’t very nice.

Crazy difficult during or after a heavy rain. Easy fair weather hike with nice sunrise view at the pillbox.

2/10/2018-Started about 0817 and came across 9 groups/solo hikers. The weather was good but hazy and the ground was a little sticky but not super slick. View at the end was awesome and enjoyed seeing all the different blues of Kaneohe Bay!

Nice short hike, cool bunker hangout at the end.

Short, but awesome view

short but views are great

We parked in Hui Iwa Street (turn in where the Mc Donald’s is) and walked along the main road to the trail head. ( about 5 mins walk) Trail Head has a yellow marker. Loved this hike, not scary at all. I walked the trail with my 7 and 10 year old, took us about two hours with a nice break at the bunkers. View is spectacular. Always stay on the wide main path, there are no turns, you just walk straight. Didn’t see the bees on the way up but on the way down they must have been disturbed by people going by, they were swarming. Be careful! Hike is a nice mix of stroll and exercise and is well traveled. Don’t go after rain, first part is red dirt and steep hill which will get slimy after rain.

Great hike, but definitely tough in some spots. After it’s rained, the bottom is very slick. The views were amazing. When we got to the top, the peaceful vibes were ruined by some young kids blasting music on a portable speaker which was also blaring their notifications. Pretty infuriating. We finally had to ask them to turn it off. They did for a few minutes, long enough for us to capture some videos. Over all, I had a great time and can’t believe I saw those views. I just ask fellow hikers to please be considerate and think of others when it comes to the music, especially when it’s at the the goal of the hike.

We did this for New Years sunrise and it was great! Parking was rough. the trail was very easy to follow only one split from main trail but even at night it was easy to tell with our headlamps. Slightly muddy, but we managed to stay clean. Enough people to feel safe but not crowded trail. There was a beehive near the top we were given a heads up about so keep an eye and ear out.

The start of the trail was pretty slick and muddy, but once we got up the first couple little hills it was no longer a problem. Definitely worth the views at the end! Now we have to head back down, and not looking forward to the slick, muddy finish.

This is a easy trail but difficult to find at first (esp if you aren’t good with directions) right in the middle of heavy traffic (next to), parking isn’t the greatest. And not to mention the trail is muddy as all get out if it rained anytime during the week before you come. Definitely not a good place to hike on a rainy week. Muddy all the way up and down. Prepare to get dirty

I really enjoy this one. Great vantage point at the end of the trail.

And outstanding hike that provides the most panoramic view of the Windward side that I have seen! Make sure you buy a set of crampons to wear with your hiking shoes or you will be sorry, er muddy! Don’t forget to try that Mexican restaurant in the shopping center! Order the stuffed peppers.

beautiful easy walk, even when muddy. we took two kids. some steep bits but easy enough.

A few good inclines; about 45 degrees up to 20 feet.
Trail run on most of the path
View is stunning

really muddy in the beginning. Almost slide three time but super easy after that

Great trail for the family to take a Sunday stroll. It's a little steep and muddy at times but overall a pretty nice walk. Great view at the top pill boxes. Park at the shopping center down the road by the McDonald's and enjoy.

Great views of Kaneohe Bay and Sandbar. Easy hike

Great workout esp. if you're babywearing. The view at the top is nice but wasn't blowing anyone away. Watch out for bee hives.

I do this trail every day off I get from work. I've ran up it in 28 mins and ran down in 11. I've also walked at a slower pace and it's taken me 50 minutes up and 30 minutes down. It's steep and can be tough for those who don't hike as much. Although it may be a mile the ups and downs make it feel a little longer. There are also a few parts where it's so steep that there is rope to help guide you up. Worst part is in the beginning though. if it rained that day it gets super slippery. That being said, the view is stunning all times of the day. Even night time when the moon is out it can be breath taking. Worth the trip to the top for sure. There are also a few other little lookouts along the way.

Hour and a half hike at an easy pace. Decent incline with a great view of the bay. Clear trail with only a few low branches towards the end. Closer to 3 miles from McDonald's parking.

Easy hike that may be very muddy. Works it way up to Fire Control Stations overlooking Koneohe Bay. can go back down the way you came, or take alternate trail that comes out behind condo and exits onto streets to walk back to McDonalds.