Puu Maelieli Trail

Puu Maelieli Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kaneohe, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This would be a good hike for beginner hikers and active families. The trail is moderately steep, but definitely not on the hard side of incline as far as hikes on the island go. It is wooded the entire way, so not much to worry about direct sunlight beating down on you. The pillboxes at the end are neat and reveal a beautiful view/overlook.
We parked at the shopping center by the McDonalds as suggested and walked along the road to the trailhead marked with an orange cone.

This was my first time doing the trail and I loved it. The hills were worse than I expected, but it's doable if you take your time. I'm also not in the best shape. The view is totally worth it! We had almost an hour to ourselves at the top. The trail was dry when I did it. I would not even attempt to do it of it has been raining, because it is just too steep in some parts to be fighting through mud. I will definitely do this one again!

Loved this hike. Don't do it if it just recently rain or you will be sliding the whole way up.

a lot harder than I thought! very steep. totally worth the view

Gorgeous views of Kaneohe and the sandbar. The trailhead is a little discreet - it's across the street from Valley of the Temples. I parked on the street on Hui Iwa. It's a pretty well maintained trail with the exception of a couple slightly overgrown patches - but you can always tell where the trail leads. It was easy for my older pup to do and the views at the top are well worth it. I saw a few families on this trail but there are so many low hanging trees and branches that little ones have to walk on their own to get through. I was lucky and went when it was really dry so it was pretty easy, and didn't need bug spray (mosquitos love me). You'll definitely need spikes and bug spray if it's muddy/raining.

Loved that it wasn't too crowded. Many vantage view points! Awesome view from the top! Brought my unsporty niece with me; she managed to complete the hike. (053117)

Great hike. Nice steady climb up to Kaneohe Bay. In several places, you'll duck or climb over tree branches but largely a well marked, easily traveled trail.

Took the puppies today. they made it the whole way with running up and down the hills with my boyfriend. this is a great covered easy hike with a beautiful view at the top. it's our new default puppy hike for sure.