Puu Maelieli Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Puu Maelieli Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kaneohe, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

And outstanding hike that provides the most panoramic view of the Windward side that I have seen! Make sure you buy a set of crampons to wear with your hiking shoes or you will be sorry, er muddy! Don’t forget to try that Mexican restaurant in the shopping center! Order the stuffed peppers.

beautiful easy walk, even when muddy. we took two kids. some steep bits but easy enough.

A few good inclines; about 45 degrees up to 20 feet.
Trail run on most of the path
View is stunning

really muddy in the beginning. Almost slide three time but super easy after that

Great trail for the family to take a Sunday stroll. It's a little steep and muddy at times but overall a pretty nice walk. Great view at the top pill boxes. Park at the shopping center down the road by the McDonald's and enjoy.

Great views of Kaneohe Bay and Sandbar. Easy hike

Great workout esp. if you're babywearing. The view at the top is nice but wasn't blowing anyone away. Watch out for bee hives.

I do this trail every day off I get from work. I've ran up it in 28 mins and ran down in 11. I've also walked at a slower pace and it's taken me 50 minutes up and 30 minutes down. It's steep and can be tough for those who don't hike as much. Although it may be a mile the ups and downs make it feel a little longer. There are also a few parts where it's so steep that there is rope to help guide you up. Worst part is in the beginning though. if it rained that day it gets super slippery. That being said, the view is stunning all times of the day. Even night time when the moon is out it can be breath taking. Worth the trip to the top for sure. There are also a few other little lookouts along the way.

Hour and a half hike at an easy pace. Decent incline with a great view of the bay. Clear trail with only a few low branches towards the end. Closer to 3 miles from McDonald's parking.

Easy hike that may be very muddy. Works it way up to Fire Control Stations overlooking Koneohe Bay. can go back down the way you came, or take alternate trail that comes out behind condo and exits onto streets to walk back to McDonalds.

Great hike! It was just enough of a challenge to get our heart rates up, but not overly difficult. Nice variety in terrain. A few areas were steep, but had ropes to aid. Gorgeous view of the entire valley from the top!

One of the best views for a short hike. Easily tops Lanikai Pillboxes! Also less crowded..

Try to park in the McDonald's parking lot and then walk along the highway to the trailhead. Loved the steepness of the trail on the way up the trail and all of the bunkers! Highly recommend this under 2 hour hike to break up your day!

It's definitely got some areas that are a little difficult but I've seen children of all ages even some tutus that were able to complete this hike!! The view is well worth it!

This would be a good hike for beginner hikers and active families. The trail is moderately steep, but definitely not on the hard side of incline as far as hikes on the island go. It is wooded the entire way, so not much to worry about direct sunlight beating down on you. The pillboxes at the end are neat and reveal a beautiful view/overlook.
We parked at the shopping center by the McDonalds as suggested and walked along the road to the trailhead marked with an orange cone.

This was my first time doing the trail and I loved it. The hills were worse than I expected, but it's doable if you take your time. I'm also not in the best shape. The view is totally worth it! We had almost an hour to ourselves at the top. The trail was dry when I did it. I would not even attempt to do it of it has been raining, because it is just too steep in some parts to be fighting through mud. I will definitely do this one again!

Loved this hike. Don't do it if it just recently rain or you will be sliding the whole way up.

a lot harder than I thought! very steep. totally worth the view

Gorgeous views of Kaneohe and the sandbar. The trailhead is a little discreet - it's across the street from Valley of the Temples. I parked on the street on Hui Iwa. It's a pretty well maintained trail with the exception of a couple slightly overgrown patches - but you can always tell where the trail leads. It was easy for my older pup to do and the views at the top are well worth it. I saw a few families on this trail but there are so many low hanging trees and branches that little ones have to walk on their own to get through. I was lucky and went when it was really dry so it was pretty easy, and didn't need bug spray (mosquitos love me). You'll definitely need spikes and bug spray if it's muddy/raining.

Loved that it wasn't too crowded. Many vantage view points! Awesome view from the top! Brought my unsporty niece with me; she managed to complete the hike. (053117)