Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail

Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until June.

old growth

Twin peaked Pu'u Konahuanui is the tallest mountain in the Ko'olau range and offers views of the Nu'uanu Valley/Windward Side. A very long strenuous hike that requires starting on different hiking trails to connect to the summit, this is only recommended for experienced hikers. Often a very muddy hike.

Stay on the main route. The loop bypass is very over grown making for much slower travel

Hiked this via the Kalawahine trail. Logged at 6hrs, though since I was solo I really took my time. Took a few time lapses, and had a few snacks. Also, got rained on a bit so the trail was very wet and muddy, it was challenging coming down in my hiking sandals. If I was trying, I'd probably do it in 4:30-5. The overgrowth beyond Kalawahine and Pauoa flats gets pretty gnarly at times, and that uluhe will tear your legs uppp. Do pants if you wanna avoid that. If it's been raining there's definitely slip risk. Tho as of 9/2017 there are plenty of ropes and straps toward the end to help in the climb.

The summit sorta snuck up on me, but that'll happen when you're in the clouds. Fun ascent, fun hike! I'd do it again for sure. Best for experienced Hawaii hikers.
@niiimz_

It was a crazy hike going up from the Pali notches way. do it again? probably not! Go in from another way, yes. the view from up top is spectacular. I've taken lots of photos to share.

No clouds today at the summit! The views at both K1 and K2 are just amazing. The ridge between K2 and K1 was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. While VERY muddy, especially early on the ridge after leaving K2, for almost the entire time on the KST between K2 and K1, you are not overly exposed and are in the vegetation that offers some protection. Took it slow and made it to K1.

Love this hike. Really muddy and steep for the last mile or so. Socked in the clouds today but at least was not raining. Very very muddy at the top. Stopped at K2, will come back at a later time if I see there is a chance of no clouds at the summit

not a easy hike, come prepared. the end is very rewarding .

Monday, November 07, 2016

Do not underestimate this trail. Th last 1.5 miles is extremely difficult and sketchy at times.

Friday, October 14, 2016

super fun hike. I've done it several times. from pu'u ohia trail head to summit k2. only 2 hrs. I wouldn't say this is a dangerous hike at all. there are two routes you can take now. hard to explain but after the lookout of the reservoir you start on the trail head. after 5 mins on that trail you come to a fork in the trail. the left side is the more challenging one because it takes u along the side of the ridge line and that's where u experience the mud slides that have destroyed much of that trail. the right side of the trail back at the fork is safer and keeps u right on top of the ridge the whole time. there are a couple secret waterfalls. very difficult and time consuming to get to. elua pohaku falls has two very large boulders and is very unique but u have to take the water stream up to the top of the mountain to get there. no trail, just straight hike through the running water the whole way till u reach the two huge rocks... elua pohaku " two rocks" in Hawaiian. this is new to my knowledge no one knows of this and I believe I was the first to discover it on 9/26/16. good luck finding it.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Underestimated the trail. My route started on kalawahine trail to Puuloa flats to the lookout to about 2200 feet up right before the last major climb to K2. Both Kalawahine and Puuloa Flats were trail runnable which is exactly what i did all the way to the lookout. The difficulty spikes to advanced at this point. I was hugging the hills on all of my climb due to the wind, rain, and steep angle of ascent. I regretted running half the trail as i was feeling it about 2200 ft, looking directly at the final climb before K2. took a little under 3 hours with a break at my highest point. will save my energy next time and go slower to get to the top.

Friday, July 29, 2016

I did the loop which was about 10 miles it was all road very beautiful. I found a mango and ate it

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This hike was unbelievable. Took us around 8 hours due to rains that hit and the incredible terrain. Felt like a mud run. For anyone looking for a real good adventure, this is more fun with wet conditions.

The first two hours has amazing roots and trippy looking things that catch your eye, along with the bamboo forest!

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Well worth the hike, although both peaks were socked in fog, so no views. Took about 5.5 hours starting from Kalawahine Trail. Did it with Oahu Hikers & Adventurers -- a totally awesome hiking group from meetup.com. I only recommend this hike for advanced hikers. People have died on this trail.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

This was a killer but worth every bit. By far the roughest hike I have been on since I moved to Oahu. Started at Manoa Falls and trekked all the way to the top of Konahuanui. The trail from the end of Pauoa Flats all the way to the top is virtually all ridge line. Once you get to K2 and start heading to K1 it is a very muddy adventure. Huge cliffs on either side so if heights make you queasy I do not suggest. Also, after the Flats it is pretty much up, up, up the rest of the way. If these things do not bother you I highly suggest this high. I has amazing views 360. Everything way socked in with clouds once I got to K2 but I trudged along to K1 and was fortunate enough to get a good clearing of clouds and was able to take it all in!

Monday, June 16, 2014

From Kalawahine trail-Pauoa Flats lookout point= 46 mins
Pauoa Flats Lookouut Point- Kaumuhonu junction=50 mins
Kaumuhonu Junction to K2 summit= 68 mins

Allow time for picture taking etc...

Monday, September 30, 2013

It's been about 15 years since I did this hike. My hiking buddy and I started out by jackass ginger, and went all the way to the summit. Overall, I'd say it took us about 8 hours (up & back down). This was probably the toughest hike I've done. However the views are spectacular! I remember climbiing the last ridge going up to the summit, and turning around to sit down and rest on the narrow ridge, and looking down at the clouds below me covering Nuuanu valley! That's when I thought, "what the heck am I doing up here?" Then, I turned around after resting a few minutes and snapping some photos to continue heading up to the summit.