Pihea Vista

Pihea Vista is a 2.3 mile out and back trail located near Kokee, Hawaii that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started this hike around 9 am- very very dense fog throughout hike on pacific side. Occasionally fog would break long enough to steal a glimpse of valley but majority of hike was cloudy...EVEN after tracking through almost impassible mud spots ( kept things interesting and super hard to hike w/o slipping) to the summit/trail end! At the “top” our view was still unfortunately foggy toward the pacific side...we had (in my opinion) better views along the half way marks and I’m not sure I’d go this trail again. We had fun but only thing memorable was the abundance of mud and the views at the start of the hike once some of the fog burned off...

Fantastic!!

Nice trail, but to be honest you don’t have to go all the way to the end through mud to capture the beautiful views of the canyon. If I would do it again, I would probably go approximately half way and then turn back, unless you want to go down the canyon on the other side and explore other trails down.

definitely fun but I would rate this "hard" instead of moderate, especially if it is wet/rainy.

This trail was a wonderful trail for the views. I don’t know if I would go as “Moderate” but I would almost push it to “Hard” depending of your ability to climb muddy hills. After the .75 mile marker it became pretty technical. Great views at the top but very slippery getting there. If you have some trail shoes ie: Solomon’s or something similar, I suggest you wear those. Anticipate getting your shoes muddy. But all in all nice trail to hike on. Took us a couple hours to complete it and we were just keeping at a nice steady pace.

Incredible views. Difficult when wet as the dirt becomes like ice. Otherwise easy

Went on a cloudy day. We we're happy for the lower temperatures. Because it had been raining the day before it was muddy in places, it could have been much worse. Having to climb and scramble up some of the rocks and roots was challenging. We had beautiful views in between cloud cover.

May 14, 2018. Sunny conditions, low humidity, temp around 65 at start time of 10:30 am. Beautiful views throughout the hike and shaded for much of the trail. The trail begins to get very muddy around the 0.6 mile marker. The trail gets fairly intense around the .75 mile marker with steep climbs. You will get very dirty if the trail is muddy. Go for it and head on out to the vista. It took us roughly 3.5 hours to do the entire out-and-back trail but we stopped many times for photos.

Definitely a strong moderate trail on the last half with the steepness and muddiness. It was very cloudy and misty so we couldn't see the ocean side view but we could see the valley side. Very beautiful. I want to come back when we can see the ocean vista, I bet its gorgeous.

We stopped so many times to stand and admire the view that just kept getting better and better. It was a sunny day in June.

Was super muddy & slippery when we tried it, and couldn’t see a thing. Go early and check weather if you want to do this one.

This trail is completely weather dependent, the mediocre reviews will be from days where it was rainy and muddy (like the day I visited). Make sure you check the forecast and you should have a great time, it does have some spectacular vistas / views of the ocean. If it is raining, there is rain in the forecast, or it rained heavily the day before I would skip it. Hiking poles are helpful in the mud / slippery patches.

Great

Easy trail, but with amazing na pali views.

Great hike, trail is broad and easy to walk for the majority of the way, can be fairly slippery when wet. Last section up to the peak is steeper with rutted out sections, tree roots and some mud. All walkable for most hikers in most conditions if you take it slowly when wet. Go early before the clouds set in for the afternoon. Offers a different perspective on the Kalalau Valley - the views are worth it!

I’m guessing the rainy season is the wrong time of year to do this hike. We did two hikes up in this area in he past week and they both were very wet and cloudy. When it’s clear, the views onto Kalalau Valley are gorgeous. We saw the valley at the lookout, then were socked in by clouds for most of the hike. The hike wasn’t hard, but the constant misting/rain does make it slick and very muddy in some parts. At one point the clouds did thin out enough to see parts of the valley and the ocean, which was beautiful.

Monday, July 10, 2017

It was great. My wife and I did it in flip flops.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Very scenic trail, I loved it!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

This trail was a muddy mess when we came. It was foggy for most of it and so we only got to see beautiful views for a moment. I've heard this trail can be one of the best in Kauai, but from what I experienced I wasn't too impressed. It was okay and I'd still be open to trying it again though.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

It's hard to beat these views looking down into the Kalalau Valley, but I would call this an easy trail, not moderate.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Absolutely amazing views at the beginning when clear out! Be prepared to get very muddy, and to use your hands as well when climbing up the steeper parts toward the end. Very fun!

Saturday, March 18, 2017