Pauoa Flats Loop Trail

Pauoa Flats Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is not an official trail; it's just a course someone on here made up. Starting from the Pu'u Ohia Parking lot, this goes up Pu'u Ohia trail, but neglects to take you to the lookout at the top for some reason. Then down to Manoa Cliffs trail briefly, turn left and go to Kalawahine trail. When you reach the road, turn left and go almost 1/2 mile back up the road to the parking lot. Be careful of cars; they fly through there.

Don't mind my track. We took Pu'u Ohia trail to Pauoa Flats, and start up toward Konahuanui but had to turn back due to time constraints. Instead of backtracking we stayed on the ridge along this Lame Trail, then to Nuuanu Trail, and back to Pauoa Flats. Fun little loop. Great views of Nuuanu/Pali.

This trail was meh. The main part of the hike is pretty easy (in terms of how strenuous it is), felt more like a leisurely walk than a hike. Can be tricky to figure out which way to go in places, particularly at crossroads/trail intersections, some of which don's have any signage. Would have gotten off course had I not had GPS with me. The trail itself is beautiful and has a few truly breathtaking views. Overgrown in places, very muddy in places, lots of roots in places, very buggy throughout. However, I was NOT a fan of the last portion of this loop, which puts you on paved road to get back to the trail head. I wouldn't consider it a true loop because the last mile is just walking along Tantalus drive to get back to where you parked. Tbh there are many better hikes to be found, even just within the Watershed reserve.

Great for dogs. I have a 9 year old Aussie and he kept up pretty well. There was only one spot on the Kalahawine part that I had to help him down. Otherwise a great workout for both pup and owner.

A nice, decent hike through bamboo forests and tangled roots. Not particularly strenuous unless a good rain came through. It can get really muddy and slick, so wear good shoes.

The view is not 360, but no matta because it's still beautiful.

Maybe I did this trail wrong but it simply merges into the Manoa Cliff Trail which eventually drops you off on a road 1 mile from where you parked. Good trail up to that point.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

We did about half of the loop to the lookout point after connecting from the Aihualama Trail. Like the Aihualama, this trail can be very muddy in places. Make sure you wear appropriate footwear. A walking stick is helpful to steady you as you climb around deeper patches of mud. I would recommend bringing bug spray. We forgot ours and were eaten alive before we got to the lookout. Despite this, the views at the lookout were phenomenal, and the breeze, welcome.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Great trail, although it did get really muddy at times, but it's worth it once you reach the end of a trail with a breathtaking view

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Trail is extension of multiple trails. Beautiful trees and root systems. Signs of wild boat everywhere so be ready to climb one of those beautiful trees if necessary. You even get a small trek through bamboo before you come to a long wide view of the Pali.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pauoa flats trail by itself starts as an offshoot of pu'u'ohi'a trail, leading down and intersecting with multiple different trails (just follow the signs for Pauoa) and ending at a lookout of the pali area(it is clearly signed END OF TRAIL). Pauoa flats is a one heck of a technical trail to run! There is a web of roots along a long stretch to slow you down. after that, you enter the bamboo forest area which has been consistently full of puddles of mud in my experience. The end of this trail has another trail head to the beginning of the climb to k2-k1.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Nice view. Fun hike. Nice and shaded. Super muddy.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Loved it can't wait to live within the bamboo

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This trail is confusing. We lost our way and took a wrong direction about a hour. We were lucky to meet a gentle man who knew these trails area.i don't recommend to hike this trail by yourself.
Do not forget to use the insect repellent,there are so many mosquitoes.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

My neighborhood trail. Really enjoy this one especially the lookout point overlooking the Pali

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Enjoyed this hike, it is really easy for everyone, nice little work out.

Friday, August 14, 2015

It is a long drive to the trail head and the trails are very confusing. The trail was not well maintained and there's nothing special about this trail, not really recommended.

Monday, February 09, 2015

I accessed the Pauoa Flats Trail from Aihualama/Manoa Falls (would recommend). The lookout over Nu'uanu Valley is completely satisfying and definitely a reason to do the hike. From the lookout there is an unofficial path leading farther up the ridge- I ventured along that until I reached a point where someone had tied a guide rope alongside a very narrow, almost straight up part and decided it was probably not in my best interest to continue. Although I am curious as I'm sure there's a reason people have made and use the path. I planned on taking the Puu Ohia Trail back, but it seemed to be closed (or the signage nonexistent), so be ready to take the Kalawahine Trail back to Tantalus Rd.

Friday, October 03, 2014

Pu'u Ohia= Mt. Tantalus.

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Directions to the trail head from this ap take you to a gated community, get your directions elsewhere. Awesome view of honolulu from the top. Great trail to hike with children.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

An easy trail to hike. I did this trail connecting to the Konahuanui hike. The roots from the trees growing out of the ground makes the terrain uneven and can take a toll on your ankles. Overall view wise there is not much as you are in the forest most of the time. I would recommend doing this trail to connect to one of the other ones that leads to viewpoint. The trail can be muddy, so be prepared for that.