Pali Puka Trail

Pali Puka Trail is a 0.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Its a short, windy, extreme, and muddy trail that follows a cliff (pali) face up to two notches that supposedly were utilized by King Kamehameha to hold cannons, and to serve as a lookout post.

great short hike, be careful on rainy days though.

Adrenaline rush! Have had my eye on this hike for a couple of years and finally did it! Lots of climbing, expect to get dirty, shoe spikes are helpful, maybe even gloves because you are gripping so much! Sketchy parts but you can go through the trees a couple times to avoid the cliffs. The most difficult piece was the actual Puka part..we went behind the wall gripping it and up - scary! Then we crawled down to the right and through the trees holding on to whatever we could to get back to the rocks..very intense! Stoked I did it, but probably won't do it again! Don't let "short" distance fool you, this hike is a workout. Not kid/pet friendly!!

Not going to lie. This trail is difficult.. My friend fell down the side (not the cliffside, but into the trees) 40ft. She dislocated her shoulder, and we were amazed that's all that happened to her. If you do it, please wear proper shoes. And at the end of it (right next to the puka,) don't go along the "back trail" because it is very narrow and slippery. That is where she fell.

Beautiful views, however I would only recommend this to experienced hikers. This is not a hike you should do in flip flops or if you are uncomfortable with heights. The trail is quite windy and involved walking along a very steep cliff face. The view at the puka is beautiful, but word to the wise, make sure at the end you go over the rocks and climb down to the puka if you can, going behind the rocks proved to be very slick and narrow.

Aloha! I do various hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out/message me on my Instagram mike.karas or shoot me an email at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com if interested!

Definitely not easy, but the view is worth it! We got there around 7AM and ran into the supervisor of the park. He stopped us at the entrance, but just wanted to make sure we knew of the risks. I'm assuming since this was an illegal trail and people have gotten severely hurt in the past it was his duty to inform tourists.

rock climbing

Definitely not as easy as it seems. The hike has a very steep uphill in the beginning which leads to the ridge where you have a cliff drop off to your right and a steep forest hill to your left. Once you're on the ridge it is straight rock climbing. When it isn't raining the dirt is very dry when I went. It is the grey dirt which is fine like sand unlike the red dirt you normally see on hikes.
Not pet/kid friendly.

Short but fun hike. Recommended only for experienced hikers only due to a few nerve racking parts of the trail.

Went today. I was alone but found a group to tag along with. Unfortunately they turned around about half way. I saw another lady climbing up ahead so I continued on. I caught up to her near the Puka and we hiked back together. Pretty scary in some parts. I definitely wouldn't recommend bringing kids or pets. Very narrow in some spots and quite muddy and slick. I had to use the ropes and do some scrambling through some parts. Thankfully there was no wind today, otherwise I probably would have turned around. Amazing views but sketchy if you're not comfortable living on the literal edge.