Pali Puka Trail

Pali Puka Trail is a 0.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Its a short, windy, extreme, and muddy trail that follows a cliff (pali) face up to two notches that supposedly were utilized by King Kamehameha to hold cannons, and to serve as a lookout post.

Loved the views

This was my 3rd hike on the island. The first 2 being Diamond Head and Manoa Falls. A friend told me it was easy and I wasn't aware of AllTrails at the time. So I went after work by myself and hiked up in tennis shoes during the rain, not the smartest. Coming down, the rocks began to slide down the ridge causing me to lose footing and fall. I was able to grab onto a tree root and watch my legs swing over the ridge and pull myself back up. Such an adrenaline rush but really wouldn't recommend doing this in the rain, obviously. Also when someone tells you a hike is easy, it's all subjective, do your research first. Easy and safe don't always coincide. Beautiful views at the top though!

This is the track for the more popular Pali Puka hike. You can find the start of this hike (the Puka hike) via the broken hole in the wall to the left of the lookout. This is still an amazing hike and totally worth it!

If you are looking for the more intense Pali Notches hike, it actually starts on the opposite side of the lookout (look for a sign behind a roped off area).

You can also check out my blog post for more information on the Pali Notches!

Short but sweet hike! Amazing views and perfect photo spot ❤ Definitely no kids or pets. Good for hikers without a lot of experience. Refrain from doing it in the rain and high winds!

Aloha! I do hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out my Instagram Mike.Karas and shoot me a message if you have any questions/are interested in hiking. You can email me as well at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

I definitely recommend good hiking shoes! Such a breathtaking view.

I enjoyed this hike. Unfortunately I was only able to do the first notch because the second one was a little sketchy and had too many loose rocks to climb. The view from the first notch was enough for me. This hike is not recommended for those who are scared of heights. Two of my friends did not make it up.

I only went to the puka and saw many people freaked out.

If not experienced, really suggest only going to puka. Going to puka can be a little scary already because of the wind near the top of the mountain. If you know what you are doing, go for it and go past the puka and head a top- would recommend that you wear proper shoes and go with someone. Both views are beautiful!

Trail head was roped off... seems very intense, would need rock climbing equipment at some parts. Met a local who said one lady dropped 350 feet recently and one guy was stuck up there for 5 days. She said don't go after it rains that's when mudslides and rockslides are most common. Didn't chance the trail alone. I can only imagine the amazing views from the trail.