Pali Puka Trail

Pali Puka Trail is a 0.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Its a short, windy, extreme, and muddy trail that follows a cliff (pali) face up to two notches that supposedly were utilized by King Kamehameha to hold cannons, and to serve as a lookout post.

Beautiful views, however I would only recommend this to experienced hikers. This is not a hike you should do in flip flops or if you are uncomfortable with heights. The trail is quite windy and involved walking along a very steep cliff face. The view at the puka is beautiful, but word to the wise, make sure at the end you go over the rocks and climb down to the puka if you can, going behind the rocks proved to be very slick and narrow.

Aloha! I do various hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out/message me on my Instagram mike.karas or shoot me an email at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com if interested!

Definitely not easy, but the view is worth it! We got there around 7AM and ran into the supervisor of the park. He stopped us at the entrance, but just wanted to make sure we knew of the risks. I'm assuming since this was an illegal trail and people have gotten severely hurt in the past it was his duty to inform tourists.

rock climbing

Definitely not as easy as it seems. The hike has a very steep uphill in the beginning which leads to the ridge where you have a cliff drop off to your right and a steep forest hill to your left. Once you're on the ridge it is straight rock climbing. When it isn't raining the dirt is very dry when I went. It is the grey dirt which is fine like sand unlike the red dirt you normally see on hikes.
Not pet/kid friendly.

Short but fun hike. Recommended only for experienced hikers only due to a few nerve racking parts of the trail.

Went today. I was alone but found a group to tag along with. Unfortunately they turned around about half way. I saw another lady climbing up ahead so I continued on. I caught up to her near the Puka and we hiked back together. Pretty scary in some parts. I definitely wouldn't recommend bringing kids or pets. Very narrow in some spots and quite muddy and slick. I had to use the ropes and do some scrambling through some parts. Thankfully there was no wind today, otherwise I probably would have turned around. Amazing views but sketchy if you're not comfortable living on the literal edge.

Did this one yesterday. It can be super sketchy at times but as others have mentioned, there are trails through the woods that will avoid the shear cliffs if you choose. A must-do if you're chasing an adrenaline filled hike.

Really cool short hike with some steep climbing but very doable. Don't stop short as getting to the end is totally worth it. Some of the paths can be a bit nerve racking but there are trails to the left of the edge in the trees if you are worried about falling or scared of heights.

FYI, the actual lookout with the hole is at the very end of the trail. You will most likely find that you've walked right over top of it if you've never been there before. You actually need to climb down to see it!