Pali Puka Trail

Pali Puka Trail is a 0.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Its a short, windy, extreme, and muddy trail that follows a cliff (pali) face up to two notches that supposedly were utilized by King Kamehameha to hold cannons, and to serve as a lookout post.

I’m a beginner hiker and this was a great and amazing hike. It is short which is good because I would suggest to everyone to take your time. One mistake can be devastating. In terms of the difficulty, I think anyone can do it as long as they have the right shoes. We were lucky when we went because the path wasn’t that muddy and there was barely any wind. I wore Nike Free 4.0 shoes and they were the right amount of flex and grip. As a beginner, I would always suggest to stay low and since I’m always grabbing onto things with my arms to help myself up, remember to test and shake that rock or branch before using it to pull yourself through. Many rocks are cracking and branches are loosening after long use. There are many back way alternatives the way going up, I would suggest using that if you’re scared of heights or you want to get around people. Lastly, keep light equip. No walking stick, just maybe a water camel pack.

This was a very cool hike with awesome views, but it was very sketchy at times. It’s really muddy and very steep. It’s not marked and you can get sidetracked at times, this happened to me a few times. I was definitely worried a few times. Wear shoes with great traction, and leave the kiddos, dogs, and grandparents at home. If you want to see more you can check out my video: https://youtu.be/qNHLLNOEshY

Awesome views, short hike and challenging !! Very narrow in some parts. Walk carefully along the cliffs but totally worth it !! Beware on windy days.

Do not let the 1/2 mile distance fool you. This trail is difficult, but it has a very rewarding finish! Definitely make sure you have appropriate shoe wear.

Super fast and easy!

Wasn't difficult but a little bit challenging because it was very windy. We were the first ones there as we started the hike at 5:30am so we could catch the sunrise. We were greeted by cats at the start of the trail. Just be very careful when walking along the cliff and try to hold on to whatever you can to keep your balance. Once up there, you will be amazed!

great short hike, be careful on rainy days though.

Adrenaline rush! Have had my eye on this hike for a couple of years and finally did it! Lots of climbing, expect to get dirty, shoe spikes are helpful, maybe even gloves because you are gripping so much! Sketchy parts but you can go through the trees a couple times to avoid the cliffs. The most difficult piece was the actual Puka part..we went behind the wall gripping it and up - scary! Then we crawled down to the right and through the trees holding on to whatever we could to get back to the rocks..very intense! Stoked I did it, but probably won't do it again! Don't let "short" distance fool you, this hike is a workout. Not kid/pet friendly!!