Pali Notches Trail [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Pali Notches Trail [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

closed

private property

historic site

Short but intense hike! You gain a lot of elevation quickly to reach the ridge, but the views of the windward side and the rest of the Ko'olaus are stunning. If you are an experienced climber and/or have a companion who knows what they are doing, you can descend two man-made notches and then continue hiking along the ridge to "The Chimney", a vertical wall that leads to the highest peak in the Ko'olau Range and beyond. Even if you don't descend the notches, this hike is plenty difficult, but the views are totally worth it!

Wow, this hike is definitely intense and dangerous, along with potentially illegal. It's very, very steep and muddy, along with minimal things to grab on to. I was basically hanging on to tree branches at certain points. Coming down, I slid and fell a few times and got covered in mud head to toe. It's a bit scary, and I wouldn't recommend doing it alone. However, the view is stunning - it's absolutely beautiful. I did the first 2 summits, but decided that the 3rd summit was a bit too dangerous for me, so I turned around.

JTM, the photo you uploaded with the Closed sign is the entrance to Pali Puka. The hike to the Notches is on the other side, adjacent to the official lookout point on Pali Lookout. There should be 3-4 signs along the edge of the hill warning you not to tresspass. These signs have been up for years already.
If you zoom in one of my Pali Notches photos, you can see a series of No Trespassing signs and posts blocking the entrance to the trailhead.

Just made an attempt and noticed the CLOSED sign, pic uploaded. The trail is marked private property, suggest - closed.

It's illegal to hike to the notches. Since the Pali Puka is close, this hike should also be Closed.

Will anyone be doing the hike tomorrow, 9/24? I know it’s last minute but I’d love a buddy. I have a great camera and I’m a skilled photographer who can take pictures of you! Dm me on Instagram @davidinaustralia

There are 2 hikes right at the Pali lookout. One is the Notches and the other is the Puka. They are on either side of the lookout. I did both on the same day. The notches was my least favorite of the two. The hike starts out right behind the parking pay meter. Goes up through a wooded area. You come out of the woods a couple of hundred feet up. From there you have a pretty steep incline with minimal ropes for assistance. Once you make it to the first notch, the view becomes incredible. This was the highlight for me. I continued onto the second and third notches. At the 3rd I was half way down and decided it was not for me. You are basically free climbing down and or using the rope for 100% assistance. The face is completely vertical and many of the rocks were loose and or already coming off the face. This is where I decided not to push my luck. If I would have been hiking with a partner, I would have probably pressed on. Since I was by myself, better safe then sorry.

Overall, the hike was short but steep. I would have liked it more if there weren’t as many loose rocks on the cliff faces.

I will be on Oahu from Maui the first week of november. I will be hiking the pali notches and others. dm me on instagram if you would like to link up. find me under matthew kmak or mtheorydrums@gmail.com

Really looking forward to doing this hike! I dont want to go solo though. Message me on IG connornelson1 if you want. I'm here until Aug 20th

Here till aug 18th, looking for a partner to climb this with for safety measures, I recently did a couple solo hikes here in Oahu but this one seems like it’ll be amazing and would require a little help. Msg me on IG @iamjehree

I’m travelling to Hawaii next week (August 15th to 20th) and was looking for someone who wants to hike the Pali Notches with me? DM me on Instagram @jessperigo :)

I hiked this on July 3rd and fell 20ft off the first notch because a piece of rock gave way. 10/10 would return to hike again. Just don't rely on a lot of the rock (crumbly and brittle) and/or ropes (who knows how long they have been there or what they are attached to) to keep you attached to the earth. Be careful!

i loved this trail! only went up the first two notches because i was by myself. anyone down to hike this next week (July 25th or 26th)? email me sandyddo@yahoo.com, or dm me on ig: sandeedoh

The trailhead is to the right of the lookout behind the yellow chain link fence and sign that says “no trail”. The majority of the hike is pretty steep and has the potential to be dangerous if you make a mistake. I would recommend having a little bit of climbing experience as both the first and second notch require somewhat difficult climbs. Amazing views though, definitely worth the hike!

First part of the trail is very muddy with few flat places to rest. Be aware that it is very windy and quite narrow at the top, but great views! If you don’t feel comfortable at the first part, I’d suggest not to go all the way up because it is an out and back trail.

It rained while I was arriving and everything was very slippery.
The ropes appear to be in good condition. Some of the roots and limbs are loose so definitely check them before relying on them.
You are definitely going to use your hands and you will get dirty/muddy. So just be prepared knowing that.... I saw a few there who seemed surprised that they were going to have to use hands and get their clothes dirty.
Beautiful views starting very early into the climb.

Insane views.

Waited all week for a clear day to make it to k1/2 with no avail decided to go on a windy rainy day. Made it to notch 1 but with no views and conditions I'll save it for a future trip. I would rate extreme hike with rain and high wind there are points with sheer drops and low visibility. Awesome hike definitely worth going.

Starts just to the right when walking toward Pali Lookout. Don't let the distance and elevation of this hike deceive you into thinking its quick and easy. Its steep with elements of rock climbing mixed in. I would recommend leaving this one alone if it's raining or just rained. That being said, one of the coolest hikes you can do on a nice day!

waited all week for a clear day to climb chimney to k1. unfortunately weather wasn't on my side. hiked to notch 1 in the rain and wind. hard hike with the weather but worth it even without the best views.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Pali notches? I completed Pali pika but idk how to get to the notches

Amazing hike, want to go up the chimney but was trying to research whether the rope that’s up there now is good, anyone have any insight?

Probably posting in the wrong spot, but does anyone want to do this hike or the Pali Pula hike Thursday March 8, 2017 ?

Carter1372@gmail.com

Great views for a short hike

This is not a difficult hike. It is slightly vertical in parts and the beginning is slippery due to the moisture/mud. Once that is cleared, the hike is really nice. It has enough plateaus allowing for plenty of rest.
I would suggest taking your time and making sure your feet are where you think they are. There are plenty of well anchored ropes (I added one today) to help you along your way.
I don't think spikes are needed. I started early in the morning with the intent of spending my entire day doing this hike. I really planned to go that slow. I ended up completing it in just a few hours.
If you go in the morning and it is chilly, mind the bees. They are everywhere on the sunny side of the rocks trying to get warm. While climbing up/down, it would be easy to crush one or get stung by one. Either way, that ain't good.

Attached is the video I made with my drone and iPhone. There would have been more but, my drone stopped filming, it all of a sudden needed a firmware update in the middle of my hike.

Enjoy this great trail and remember, take your time and it won't be as difficult as everyone says it is.

Incredibly steep climb, better you do it in trail shoes with grip, but my friends got in done in normal running shoes, just more cautiously. Normal start was closed off, with signs and branches blocking your way, but you can enter in the bottom corner of the parking lot and go up a drainage channel to join the path, which technically means you’ve not ignored a sign by entering illegally.

Amazing hike, much more harder then the opposite ridge (Pali Puka trail). Would rate it as extreme (we had slightly rainy day)! Trekking poles are a must. It was very hard from beginning because the official way up was extremely muddy without trees, so cannot catch anything (there are other starting points closer to the lookout, but they are marked as illegal). Then it is followed by a section with trees where you will use them to continue in really steep areas. Almost at the end is rock climbing chimney, be careful there, very dangerous when climbing down, if you have fear, don't do it, stop there, there is nothing that special few meters up. Anyway - very challenging and enjoyable trail!

Easily one of my favs! Short, intense hike that gains elevation super fast, be prepared to climb tall man made rock formations with a rope someone else placed there.

Two people had to be air evacuated from this trail last weekend, both people with broken bones. Not recommended as the trail crumbles and just gives way easily.

pretty incredible. prepare to be breathing hard.

Best hike yet! The wind was unbelievable, and t made a few areas kind of tricky. The initial hike up to the ridge is steep and muddy.
The ropes are in great condition, and they come in handy on the straight upwards rock wall climb.
We had a small issue with loose rocks that fell as we climbed back down the rock wall, and it made for a tricky descent because we didn’t want to hit each other in the head with one.
The payout is huge! HIGHLY recommend (but definitely not for kids because of the drop offs and difficulty with rain and wind)