Pali Notches Trail

Pali Notches Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

historic site

Short but intense hike! You gain a lot of elevation quickly to reach the ridge, but the views of the windward side and the rest of the Ko'olaus are stunning. If you are an experienced climber and/or have a companion who knows what they are doing, you can descend two man-made notches and then continue hiking along the ridge to "The Chimney", a vertical wall that leads to the highest peak in the Ko'olau Range and beyond. Even if you don't descend the notches, this hike is plenty difficult, but the views are totally worth it!

It rained while I was arriving and everything was very slippery.
The ropes appear to be in good condition. Some of the roots and limbs are loose so definitely check them before relying on them.
You are definitely going to use your hands and you will get dirty/muddy. So just be prepared knowing that.... I saw a few there who seemed surprised that they were going to have to use hands and get their clothes dirty.
Beautiful views starting very early into the climb.

Insane views.

Waited all week for a clear day to make it to k1/2 with no avail decided to go on a windy rainy day. Made it to notch 1 but with no views and conditions I'll save it for a future trip. I would rate extreme hike with rain and high wind there are points with sheer drops and low visibility. Awesome hike definitely worth going.

Starts just to the right when walking toward Pali Lookout. Don't let the distance and elevation of this hike deceive you into thinking its quick and easy. Its steep with elements of rock climbing mixed in. I would recommend leaving this one alone if it's raining or just rained. That being said, one of the coolest hikes you can do on a nice day!

waited all week for a clear day to climb chimney to k1. unfortunately weather wasn't on my side. hiked to notch 1 in the rain and wind. hard hike with the weather but worth it even without the best views.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Pali notches? I completed Pali pika but idk how to get to the notches

Amazing hike, want to go up the chimney but was trying to research whether the rope that’s up there now is good, anyone have any insight?

Probably posting in the wrong spot, but does anyone want to do this hike or the Pali Pula hike Thursday March 8, 2017 ?

Carter1372@gmail.com

Great views for a short hike

This is not a difficult hike. It is slightly vertical in parts and the beginning is slippery due to the moisture/mud. Once that is cleared, the hike is really nice. It has enough plateaus allowing for plenty of rest.
I would suggest taking your time and making sure your feet are where you think they are. There are plenty of well anchored ropes (I added one today) to help you along your way.
I don't think spikes are needed. I started early in the morning with the intent of spending my entire day doing this hike. I really planned to go that slow. I ended up completing it in just a few hours.
If you go in the morning and it is chilly, mind the bees. They are everywhere on the sunny side of the rocks trying to get warm. While climbing up/down, it would be easy to crush one or get stung by one. Either way, that ain't good.

Attached is the video I made with my drone and iPhone. There would have been more but, my drone stopped filming, it all of a sudden needed a firmware update in the middle of my hike.

Enjoy this great trail and remember, take your time and it won't be as difficult as everyone says it is.

Incredibly steep climb, better you do it in trail shoes with grip, but my friends got in done in normal running shoes, just more cautiously. Normal start was closed off, with signs and branches blocking your way, but you can enter in the bottom corner of the parking lot and go up a drainage channel to join the path, which technically means you’ve not ignored a sign by entering illegally.

Amazing hike, much more harder then the opposite ridge (Pali Puka trail). Would rate it as extreme (we had slightly rainy day)! Trekking poles are a must. It was very hard from beginning because the official way up was extremely muddy without trees, so cannot catch anything (there are other starting points closer to the lookout, but they are marked as illegal). Then it is followed by a section with trees where you will use them to continue in really steep areas. Almost at the end is rock climbing chimney, be careful there, very dangerous when climbing down, if you have fear, don't do it, stop there, there is nothing that special few meters up. Anyway - very challenging and enjoyable trail!

Easily one of my favs! Short, intense hike that gains elevation super fast, be prepared to climb tall man made rock formations with a rope someone else placed there.

Two people had to be air evacuated from this trail last weekend, both people with broken bones. Not recommended as the trail crumbles and just gives way easily.

pretty incredible. prepare to be breathing hard.

Best hike yet! The wind was unbelievable, and t made a few areas kind of tricky. The initial hike up to the ridge is steep and muddy.
The ropes are in great condition, and they come in handy on the straight upwards rock wall climb.
We had a small issue with loose rocks that fell as we climbed back down the rock wall, and it made for a tricky descent because we didn’t want to hit each other in the head with one.
The payout is huge! HIGHLY recommend (but definitely not for kids because of the drop offs and difficulty with rain and wind)

AMAZING! Last chimney was a bit dangerous and hard to come down from. Don't go up if you don't feel comfortable climbing it down... I kinda regretted it hehe.

Muddy and definitely dangerous, this hike is for those up to a challenge. There are parts where you are essentially rock climbing without any ropes, or trusting the ropes someone left behind (which as of 5 days ago were fine, but you never know). Views are absolutely incredible. I recommend this hike to anyone with steady footing looking for an adventurous and breathtaking hike.

Finally climbed the Chimney. Great day for it, dry, only mild winds, light cloud coverage without real rain in sight. I had to! A rope has been laid all the way down, that was nice of someone. As of 10/2017 they are solid. It does require climbing experience, and experienced eyes to see the route and safe holds. At the top, it pretty much required full body weight on the ropes, and needing to pull yourself up with only your hands and the rope. I have the strength, no problem, still it was pretty scary shit for me. Skilled, advanced, hikers only. Be wary of Hawaii's loose and crumbling rocks'. What's safe one moment may not be the next.

Word of caution: DO NOT wear micro spikes on the rocks and when climbing. The rock is too crumbly and weak, you'll likely dislodge some and either hurt yourself or others. Get decent shoes, or don't do it at all. Or climb barefoot. Micro spikes are destructive to Hawaii's trails, tearing up roots and and even rocks.

ig @niiimz_

Favorite hike I’ve ever done. My brother suggested it and it did not disappoint. End of September it was dry and not muddy. And the views are amazing. A must do!

rock climbing

Great views, hot weather

Pali Notches is one of my favorite hikes on the island of Oahu.

Check out OahuHike.com to find more beautiful hikes similar to Pali Notches

Anyone interested in doing this hike together or any hike in Oahu between sept 15-17th... text me at 631-606-0526