Olomana Trail

Olomana Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

Located in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu, Olomana Trail (three peaks) is a strenuous hike with amazing views if you can make it to the top. The trail can be accessed from the intersection of Maunawili Road and Auloa Road off of Pali Highway. There is no parking area at the trailhead - you must park and walk on Luana Hills Road past the Royal Hawaiian Golf Course to access the trailhead. There is also a bus stop near the entrance of the golf course if you opt to take the bus to avoid parking. You will pass a guard shack, which is the entrance to the Luana Hills Country club. The guard will be able to give you details regarding the hike and you will see a white trailhead sign on your left. The first peak, Mount Olomana, is about 1.5 miles up with steep drop-offs on both sides and takes about an hour and a half to get to. Toward the top there are some rock climbing elements. The top of the first peak offers 360 degree views. It is steep on the downhill slope towards the second peak. The next peak isn't as challenging but still has an excellent view. The last peak should only be tried by experienced hikers in good shape and requires ropes all the way up. To return to your car you must go back the same way you can. This a favorite hike in Oahu, however can be very challenging with all of the up/down.

All-time favorite hike. It’s very fun and challenging. Trail is clearly marked and it’s hard to get lost.

I just did the first peak. it took about an hour up and an hour back. pretty empty trail starting at 6:30 on a Wednesday morning. I only saw 4 other people the whole time. The trail was a little muddy, but not as bad as I expected from other reviews....not sure when it last rained hard. I wore my old running shoes and did just fine with them.

I really enjoyed this hike. Nice incline, plenty of roots to grasp on, and rope climbs. The route was quite muddy from rainfall but spectacular views. I would recommend good footwear for climbing and scaling the walls. Beyond the first peak, I'd recommend a love for heights! Great time!

We parked outside the golf course entrance on the side of the road and then walked to the start of the trail down the road leading to the golf course.

One of the best trails I've hiked in Hawaii! Starts relatively gradual, but gets steep the closer you get to the top! Most people only do the first peak, but for the extra challenge it's fun to knock out the second and third peaks as well!

A hiker fell to his death today while on the third peak of Ahiki.

Such a fun hike! Very steep relative to most other hikes I’ve found in Oahu. 1.5 hours up to the second peak with plenty of photo stops. 45 minutes down.

This trail was a good work out! Thankfully we went when it was sunny and the ground was dry. The view at the top was amazing. Make sure your confident climbing rocks that have a steep drop before you go!

This hike was harder than I anticipated, but well worth the climb. In order to reach the first summit, you will maneuver up muddy slopes and will need to climb several rocky areas with the aid of ropes. We stopped at the first peak and took some amazing photos. Views were breathtaking. Climbing down proved to be more difficult than going up, but there are plenty of trees and roots to grip onto as you descend. Would highly recommend this hike. Wear proper footwear.

One of the best hikes/climbs. :) In my first try I got to all three peaks thanks to the beautiful weather today. It's demending, relatively hard. It's worth the sweat and effort. Exhilarating, exciting!

Definitely a favorite. Unlike hikes where you can feel every mile, this hike felt a lot shorter than it actually was. Astounding views. Gets your heart pumping and your adrenaline racing.

You have to park a few roads away from where the trail begins. If you start to drive past the security booth, the guard will stop you and let you know that cars can’t enter but you can pass by on foot. You’ll walk a bit down the road until you reach the sign (very obvious) and immediately enter the forest, mud and all.

Soon the terrain switches to pine forest (someone must explain these elusive pine trees to me) and then becomes more rock-like, with lots of boulders, dirt, and trees to hold on to. The trail grows steeper and even though there were many ropes, I found that the terrain wasn’t quite as thigh-burning (90 degree angled) as others. The rocks you’d climb were at a 45 degree angle - nice and steep but more cardio-focused than muscle-focused.

As you reach the first peak, you have to boulder a little to get to the top, and then walk along a rock-ridge. The wind feels great and the height is exhilarating. It’s definitely not for children or anyone afraid of heights. Many people go on to the second and third peaks but from what we heard, the second peak is lower and less impressive than the first (it has an unimpeded view of the island), and the third is much more dangerous for a similar view. It’s a lot steeper than the first and unless you’re an experienced climber with your own rope, it’s not recommended.

We chose not to do the second/third peaks and instead enjoyed the first peak for a while, then headed down. We ran into numerous helicopters along the way (on this hike and others), at least one being a rescue chopper. They get so close!

I highly recommend this hike for people who love heights. Overall I’d say it was a moderate hike, took us about 3 hours round-trip including the 30 min. photo break at the top, numerous conversations with other hikers we ran into, and idle chitchat.

Fantastic hike
The second and third peak are only for experienced hikers

absolutely beautiful hike - trail was a little muddy but had good footing the whole way up to the first peak. we rode our bikes to the entrance of the golf club & locked them to a fence. when we got back they were gone so if you plan on biking be careful of the risk. would definitely recommend though! very fun and 360 views of the windward side of island.

One of my favorite hikes. It’s challenging to do all three peaks but well wort the effort. Parking is an issue so get there early. Don’t be fooled by the mileage noted. You have to walk approximately a mile to get to trail head on golf course from where you have to park. Gloves are a good accessory because there are lots of ropes. Thighs might be sore for a few days after. Views on a clear day are fabulous. On my iPhone it says 195 floors climbed after hike.

We did the first peak today. Awesome views from top. One issue was that the directions given in this app lead us to park in a spot where we got a citation for parking on a sidewalk. Ugh, 3 stars for parking!

Amazing trail, do not attempt the third peak without high levels of climbing proficiency and the ability to lift your own body weight via rope.

My favorite hike hands down!

Awesome hike!! Did the 1st peak but my friend went till the 2nd. Great views, very challenging hike, dont forget to wear good shoes !

Wanting to do this hike soon. Msg me @bekahknotmarley

Did the first peak. It was extremely windy so I was very afraid to go to the other two. Extremely muddy. I went a couple weeks ago (January) but this has some great rock climbing especially if you are just getting into it. @cillyfitgurl if you want to ask me about it.

Did the first peak on a cloudy morning last weekend, awesome views and fun trail. Took just under two hours up and down.

It was amazing!We only get to the first peak and it was really worth it! It was 4h return and the track was easy to follow. Good hiking abilities/experience required since you need to rock scrambling.

Amazing views!! We only get to the first peak and it was totally worthy!! It is hard in the end where you have to climb some boulders bring good shoes!!

Wow, what a great hike! Just did first peak, that was enough. You have to park on street and walk .8 miles into golf course. The gate guy doesn't stop you...he is actually nice.

I wouldn't go on a day when it's raining, but we went day after and it was bit muddy, but fine. I would think it would get super slippery if it were raining...already tough to get traction in some places. Also, watch for super windy days at the top.

Continuing: You can pretty much make it to the 'wall' with no problem. The hardest/scariest part is getting up a 40 foot wall just near the summit. There are plenty of ropes and they seemed fine, but you do need upper body strength to use them...and you HAVE to use them to get up.

The top is beautiful. Had no desire to continue on, as that is where people have died. I was quite satisfied with my first peak.

My childhood stomping grounds. The real fun begins as you descend the second peak and up the third. This is listed as an out and back but can be turned into a loop by coming down the third peak and “accidentally” stumbling onto the golf course and having security give you a golf cart ride almost all the way to your car

Best hike in Oahu, the views are incridible, if you have to choose one trail, do this one . I did my best photos on top of the first peak.

I could only get as far as the first peak as the wind was crazy that day. but the views we're breadthe taking. And the climb was a great workout.

Super cool hike. Also extremely difficult. Only made it up the first peak, a lot of places would be intense for people with fear of heights and rock climbing. The weather changes fast. Rain came in and the rocks quickly became slick and the trail turned into a little river. I've done a lot of hikes in Alaska rated "hard" but this was much more challenging than anything I've hiked there. Good shoes and a hiking buddy are a must! Took about 3 1/2 hours to get up the first peak and back.

Parked on Auloa road just off of Pali highway. Do NOT park on loop road or you’ll get towed. Walk down loop road past golf resort entrance and trailhead is on your left. Easy ascent for first mile. Last half mile is series of rocky ascents about 10-20 ft each, some with rope. Little dicey. View from top of summit 1 is beautiful and legit 360 degrees. Didn’t do peaks 2 or 3 bc wanted beer and lunch. Total time just under 3 hrs at leisurely pace.

Great hike! It took me about 2.5 hrs up and back. We parked at Maunawili Park, which was a little further away but seemed like more legit parking. We passed through the country club gate at 3:20 pm. Guard said he wont let any hiker past after 4 pm. There are several areas with rope, which helped but could be done without. Great 360 degree views. My 12 and 14 yo did fine with climbing parts. Definitely a hard hike, but totally worth it!

Had a great time, took sunrise photos and went to all three peaks. The hardest part is getting back to the second peak, but it’s worth the challenge!