Olomana Trail

Olomana Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

Located in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu, Olomana Trail (three peaks) is a strenuous hike with amazing views if you can make it to the top. The trail can be accessed from the intersection of Maunawili Road and Auloa Road off of Pali Highway. There is no parking area at the trailhead - you must park and walk on Luana Hills Road past the Royal Hawaiian Golf Course to access the trailhead. There is also a bus stop near the entrance of the golf course if you opt to take the bus to avoid parking. You will pass a guard shack, which is the entrance to the Luana Hills Country club. The guard will be able to give you details regarding the hike and you will see a white trailhead sign on your left. The first peak, Mount Olomana, is about 1.5 miles up with steep drop-offs on both sides and takes about an hour and a half to get to. Toward the top there are some rock climbing elements. The top of the first peak offers 360 degree views. It is steep on the downhill slope towards the second peak. The next peak isn't as challenging but still has an excellent view. The last peak should only be tried by experienced hikers in good shape and requires ropes all the way up. To return to your car you must go back the same way you can. This a favorite hike in Oahu, however can be very challenging with all of the up/down.

Probably the best hike in Oahu in terms of difficulty, beautiful scenery, semi-challenging rock climbing sections, and then the viewpoint from the first peak. We made it to the second peak, but decided not to go all the way to the third peak due to the sketchiness of the ropes on the backside of the second peak. Nonetheless, it was simply beautiful from the top! Highly recommended! Hope the weather is in your favor!

News Update Lost Hikers on Olomana Trail

After completing stair way to heaven last week, everyone has been telling me this is next. So I will crush it this weekend. Who’s coming or doing it this weekend?? IG: @hgonzo7

looking for a group to hike this with me, or any other cool hikes, anytime in the next few weeks. DM me on Instagram @jessie.young

Loved this hike! Reccomend a high fitness level and not being afraid of heights and some intense rock scrambles if attempting all 3 peaks. Allow for Approx 3 hrs return if moving fast.
PARKING-
Be aware I recieved a $35 ticket for parking just outside the golf complex with everyone else.

Bring lots of water and food. Go on a clear day.

Will preface this LONG post by saying: I am an average person. I am in decent shape, but I have certainly been in better shape. I don’t rock climb. I was raised in the Midwest and live out in the flats still, but love to hike when on vacation. I am by no means an expert hiker, my balance could use some work along with my lower body strength.

The hike to the first peak is one of the most gorgeous hikes on Oahu (I have done about 7-8 others on the island). I was fortunate to have good weather. The initial portion is a steady climb up some clay footing which would’ve been a mud party in the rain. Once it starts to get consistently rocky, you’ve hit approximately halfway. I didn’t feel the rope portions were too bad going up - I only used about half of them. Always be careful, but I felt the ropes were of fine quality. It does become more steep as you ascend. The infamous rock wall you have to scale is not the scariest part, in my opinion. If you’re afraid of heights (I like to think I am not afraid, rather, I have a healthy fear of the potential to slip and die), this could get a bit scary. I still felt there was enough real estate on either side to be safe. Once you get “north of the wall”, you’ll walk a narrow-ish ridge to get to an area of rock scramble to get to the very top. I had a moment of panic here as I didn’t climb up the rocky path and decided to inch myself along the ridge before climbing up the rocks. Maybe don’t do that? After that, you’ll get the most amazing views of the island! Rest a bit and enjoy the view.

The descent had me a bit amped- a kind dude helped me down the rock scramble to part and I ran into some equally kind folks who I ended up hiking down with. Ropes were more helpful going down. I did not need gloves to do the climb. I did the climb in trail running shoes (no, I don’t really do much of that either) and felt safe.

Nature wins every time, so as long as you are honest with yourself about your limits, and are mindful of your footing as you get to the top, you’ll be fine. Take your time, and take a buddy if you can. I’d do it again....but with a buddy.

I will be in Oahu next week (July-29 to August 5) visiting family. I would like to hike this trail, Moanalua Valley trail and other more spots. Feel free to email me at nico.marchan@yahoo.com or message me on my instagram: @nicocarlosmarchan if you want to join me and others to hike these trails.

finding safe and legal parking can be difficult then a long walk via golf course road to the trailhead. this is a dangerous trail. where you need to be extremely careful. I've personally been involved in a rescue on this trail where a hiker in front of me fell over a 100ft.

Disappointed the entrance past the golf course gate is closed to hikers after 4pm

Love!! Somewhat muddy and difficult trail. Be prepared to get dirty & challenge yourself. Several places where ropes are the only way you’re advancing. Only did the first peak, but happy to be there & amazing views in every direction. Weather was a bit cloudy, but still a great time. Coming down was just as difficult & I think you actually depend on the ropes coming down more than the way up!

Loved this one!! Definitely had some difficult parts but totally doable if you are in relatively good shape! Their are some steep parts and some very narrow areas so probably not a good idea if you have a fear of heights! But the view was amazing!!

Really fun trail but there are some tricky parts. It would be risky to do after rain and there are a couple parts that are essentially like rock climbing. Great hike if you are looking for a bit of a challenge and some great views.

Great hike and beautiful view

Love it, but it’s a scared one.

Great hike. Pay attention to the weather. Bring lots of water and some snacks. I wore running shoes and they worked just fine. Be safe!

Incredible! The biodiversity as you move up the steep mountainside is spectacular. It’s my favorite hike to date!

The beginning of this trail doesn’t not start where the directions take you. Park on Auloa Rd, walk 0.85 miles to the actual start of the trail. Go along the interstate towards the royal Hawaiian golf course, the beginning of the trail is about 0.5 miles pass the guard shack. Overall the hike is a great work out however there is a good bit of rock climbing in order to get to the peaks! Some are literally a straight climb up the side of rocks, very thankful for the lovely souls who incorporated the ropes! This hike is not for everyone, depending on your mobility you may be limited to how far you can go. Views are great but if you can go out a clear day they will be even better!

Excellent hike. A great workout and the view are crazy. If you fear heights, don’t go all the way up.

Dangerous hike with a huge payoff. Cliffs are steep, the trail has about 7 rope sections with the last one being the most difficult. All of that is to the first peak, didn’t go to the second or third. See other reviews for that. The words from people who have “the views aren’t any better and it just gets more dangerous”.

Yes, a great hike. Must park off the golf course road and walk one half mile to trailhead. If you’re a regular hiker and in good condition with plenty of mobility, you should be ok. If you find it challenging during the first half of the hike, the second half may be too hard. Regarding the ropes and the rock scrambles, it will depend on your physical ability and mindset. This is a mostly shady hike, so good if you had too much sun the day before. Early morning would be the best time if temperature is an issue for you. As a 61 year old regular hiker with good mobility, this hike became a challenge in places. But the top was worth it. Kind of fun to see the sightseeing helicopters flying past at a lower elevation. If you’re realistic on your abilities I highly recommend this hike.

A great hike all around!!! love the fact that any age can do this hike. The rope climbs were not that difficult as people make it to be.

Unreal! My favourite on the island so far. It is hard, but use the ropes and take your time. Safety is important so don't rush. It is worth getting out to the third peak for sure.

Fun and challenging hike. Take your time and be safe!

Great hike. Felt safe the whole time. We only hiked to the first peak as we had other plans that day but many hiked to the second and some to the third. We had great sunny conditions. 50 mins up and around the same coming down although we got caught in some traffic on the decent as we hiked on a Saturday. A great challenging incline throughout with some fun bouldering and rock climbing along the way. Enjoy!

Marvelous; death-defying.

Do NOT attempt this trail if you are a Disney villain.

Amazing views, great challenges

I love this hike, though I’ve only gone to the second peak.

Great hike with some great challenges on the way to the third peak.

went up there today and did all three hikes, the last one was really challanging and a few times I peed my pants - ;) go slowly and be carefull with super grip soes thats a must and its awsome!