Olomana Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Located in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu, Olomana Trail (three peaks) is a strenuous hike with amazing views if you can make it to the top. The trail can be accessed from the intersection of Maunawili Road and Auloa Road off of Pali Highway. There is no parking area at the trailhead - the map shown here will direct you to street parking and you can walk to the trailhead from there. The first peak, Mount Olomana, is about 1.5 miles up with steep drop-offs on both sides and takes about an hour and a half to get to. Toward the top there are some rock climbing elements. The top of the first peak offers 360 degree views. It is steep on the downhill slope towards the second peak. The next peak isn't as challenging but still has an excellent view. The last peak should only be tried by experienced hikers in good shape and requires ropes all the way up. To return to your car you must go back the same way you can. This a favorite hike in Oahu, however can be very challenging with all of the up/down.

Short in distance, but that’s made up for in gain and
technicality at points. I only made it to the summit
of peak 1 due to my partner being unprepared and novice. Amazing windward Oahu views!

Awesome hike. The views are seriously insane once you get through the peaks. LOTS of rock climbing acting the edge of each peak, very sketchy. You don’t have to do all 3, but if you’re in the shape to handle it i would highly suggest it.

One of my top favorites!

Very good workout. Straight rock climbing with some ropes at points. Stopped at the first peak, enough adventure for me. Very muddy!

Excellent. A real challenge. 95% of people do not hike/scramble past the first peak as it takes the longest to reach so the trail is virtually empty if you are brave enough to summit peak 3. Be careful—the drops are steep and rope use is a must. Bring plenty of water, at least two liters on a hot day. The views from peak two are spectacular—one of my best hikes of all time, but caution: at least 2-3 people die per year from slipping and falling. Could be more.

Love this trail. An epic adventure with my friend.

Great hike if youre looking for a challenge. Fantastic views.

I’m planing to go the first week of April 2019, April 3 or 4!!!! Who wants to go???? Email Jacky.martinez1991@gmail.com

This trail is tough but totally worth it. I would recommend hiking with someone because at times it’s a bit dangerous especially if you’re doing all three peaks. It requires some upper body strength and using ropes to assist some of the climb/descent. Views are unparalleled and indescribable! Would recommend hiking shoes for sure.

this trail is STEEP, so wear shoes with good tread.
a little muddy in places but not too bad.

i only went to the first peak; unfortunately i didn’t have time for all 3. the view from the top is gorgeous; you can see all of Kailua and then some.

there are ropes, but they are old. if you can, try to freeclimb the rocky parts.

overall, if you are in shape, this is a super fun trail and i will definitely be coming back to it.

if anyone is looking for a hiking partner I would love to go this week (21st-24th). please just email me @ hannahmariermt@gmail.com

If there was an extra hard, it would be this Hike. Come ready to rock climb, because there’s a ton. Totally worth it! The view is amazing and the hike is challenging.

One of my all time favourite hikes. From jungle to clay slopes and steep rocky scrambles, this trail has it all. Amazing views to be well deserved after a challenging climb.

By far the best hike I have done so far in Hawaii!!! I will not discourage anyone from doing this hike but please know that there will be some climbing to get to the top of the peaks. I only did two but next time I come back I will finish the trail. It is challenging but worth every step you take.

Super fun, super beautiful hike. I had wanted to do this for years, ever since I was a little kid riding over the Pali. It did not disappoint and I’ve gone back several times. Avoid if too wet because it can get muddy and people have been seriously injured. But otherwise it’s a fun few hours. The views from the peaks are fantastic and (most) of the tricker parts have ropes to help.

Terrific hike!

very fun trail. it can be very muddy and dangerous. great views and a nice challenge

Awesome but there are sketchy spots and difficult when muddy
Fun though!

Parking - we had to park about 0.7 miles away on the street. We hit the trailhead at 1pm. We only expected to be able to accomplish 1 peak (we are very experienced hikers but have heard how crazy this hike is and were actually scared to even do it), but ended up doing all 3!! It took us 6 hours from when we left my car to when we got back, we were stuck in the dark on the way back using flashlights on our phone, so start early!!

People hesitate to do the third peak because they see the drop down from the second peak, and it’s sort of an optical illusion. It does look like you drop off the cliff with a rope but don’t worry there are rock edges to put your feet the whole way down. I will say though, coming back from the third peak and back up the second peak was terrifying. You are bouldering, and I saw my life flash a few times. We also saw a trail of blood the whole way back up.

Just getting to the top of the first peak is a grueling hike in itself and has the best views of the hike, so if you’re uneasy I think you should stick to the first and feel accomplished of all of your hard work!

This is my favorite hike on Oahu.
Gona do this one again tomorrow morning!

Great hike, very short and simple to the first 2 peaks. If you’re worried about the 3rd peak, you can see the difficulty going down the 2nd so you can assess right away whether or not you’re comfortable doing it. A note on parking: I would recommend to NOT park on the street. We saw multiple smashed in car windows. We parked at the lot for the park with the washrooms and it was fine. Took us 5hr round trip from there to do the 3 peaks.

Enjoyable

Admittedly, I only made it a mile in on this hike. It is definitely a more difficult one with inclines the entire way and a technical terrain. I threw in the towel when I got to the steep rock climbing wall with a rope.

Hi There, looking to hike this trail on Tuesday the 8th in the morning if anyone would like to join feel free to message me on Insta chef_stucameron
happy hiking :)

Beautiful hike! Pretty challenging but so worth it! There are 3 peaks. The first boasts the best views and the 2nd one is nice as well. I didn’t make it to the third as that was far more strenuous and steep and narrow. Would definitely recommend to avid hikers. The views can’t be beat!

planning in doing this hike tomorrow morning if anyone would like to join feel free to message me on Instagram @m.aa.x.x

A very rewarding hike! I read tons of reviews before doing this hike and I must say it was much more difficult than I expected. I am 27 and my fiancé is 36 and we’re both fit. There was a point right before getting to the tip of the first peak where you have to cling to the wall because there’s only a very small space for your footing. It was honestly terrifying and my fiancé couldn’t go much further so we stopped there. I consider myself a risk taker but I was in no mood to convince him to continue further lol. We had hiking shoes but they were soaked and covered with mud which made them a bit slippery.

Also, about halfway through the hike we came across a pine forest where the ground was like a soft carpet. We hung out there for a while and called it “whispering forest”. You can’t miss it. Super cool!

Beautiful hike but please be extremely careful and wear hiking shoes, bring tons of water/snacks, and get started early (took us 5 hours). I am surprised there aren’t more deaths that happen on this hike.

Very enjoyable hike with an amazing view! The first peak definitely has a great view but the trail heading towards peaks 1 & 2 are more fun and challenging. This was my first hike ever, and although it was challenging, it was not impossible. Give it a try and I’m sure you won’t regret it.