Olomana Trail

Olomana Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

Located in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu, Olomana Trail (three peaks) is a strenuous hike with amazing views if you can make it to the top. The trail can be accessed from the intersection of Maunawili Road and Auloa Road off of Pali Highway. There is no parking area at the trailhead - you must park and walk on Luana Hills Road past the Royal Hawaiian Golf Course to access the trailhead. There is also a bus stop near the entrance of the golf course if you opt to take the bus to avoid parking. You will pass a guard shack, which is the entrance to the Luana Hills Country club. The guard will be able to give you details regarding the hike and you will see a white trailhead sign on your left. The first peak, Mount Olomana, is about 1.5 miles up with steep drop-offs on both sides and takes about an hour and a half to get to. Toward the top there are some rock climbing elements. The top of the first peak offers 360 degree views. It is steep on the downhill slope towards the second peak. The next peak isn't as challenging but still has an excellent view. The last peak should only be tried by experienced hikers in good shape and requires ropes all the way up. To return to your car you must go back the same way you can. This a favorite hike in Oahu, however can be very challenging with all of the up/down.

I love this hike, though I’ve only gone to the second peak.

Great hike with some great challenges on the way to the third peak.

went up there today and did all three hikes, the last one was really challanging and a few times I peed my pants - ;) go slowly and be carefull with super grip soes thats a must and its awsome!

Amazing views, but make sure you are ready for the boulders and slight rock climbing.

Favorite so far.

I read several reviews before I hiked this trail. I should preface this review by stating that I’m an experienced rock climber with technical ascents of El Cap and Half Dome in my past, though many, many years ago. Now in my mid 40’s, I wanted to take my family on this hike, but the reviews scared them away, so I went solo. The climbing on this route would be categorized as primarily 4th class scrambling to easy 5th class climbing. All areas of any difficulty on this hike have fixed ropes that you can yard on, but use caution trusting your weight on any fixed line you have not first inspected, as one I found was in very poor condition. The third peak appears daunting from a distance, but is not the technical crux in my humble opinion. If you are comfortable with the exposure getting to peak 3, you likely will not have a problem making the summit. The greatest danger this hike poses is slipping on the trail proper, which is narrow with very steep drop offs in some sections. Take your time, avoiding hiking in wet conditions and most people without significant fear of heights should fare fine. It’s an amazing hike that I would highly recommend. Car to car took me 5 hours, but I parked farther away than most people. Don’t park on the asphalt sidewalks, as you may get ticketed. Keep valuables out of sight, as I was told there was a recent car break in. Enjoy!

Super fun hike, though it was a tad hard on the knees for this old gal! Made it to the 2nd peak, but the 1st is the highest peak with a 360* view. So gorgeous! I have no desire to do the 3rd peak.

Fun trail, gorgeous views, we did the first 2 peaks but the 3rd was a little sketchy so opted out of that one, no worries though, the 1st peak has the best views anyways.

Tough amazing hike and climb. Started to rain at the first peak and didn't attempt the second two. Will come back.

amazing hike. a lot harder than expected, but the view from the first peak is worth it! the other two peaks would be for more experienced hikers who like a challenge.

We have wanted to do this one for quite a while but with all the hype over it I was a bit apprehensive. We hike all over island (Ka’au, Mt Olympus, Wiliwilinui, Hawaii Loa) list goes on and on. So a few days ago we decided to go for it and do peak 1. We knew we would probably end up doing peak 2 as well but I had no intention of attempting peak 3, at least not on my first go at it. Peak 1 wasn’t really that bad, yes it was a beast of an incline and has some rope at the top but all things considered it was okay. We did see a couple turn around and not even get to the top of peak 1 today. Once on 1 we decided to go to peak 2, peak 2 had considerably more Ridge, sheer drops and bouldering. Once on peak 2 we stopped and watched 5 guys go on and finish the 3rd peak. Conditions were dry and amazing for today, they couldn’t have been better. I would never do this one when it’s wet up there since it’s slick rock and sheer drop offs!! Use google maps and plug in “parking Olomana hiking trail” and it takes you right to where you want to park. DONT park on loop road. Walk back down the road you just parked on and around loop road to the right and that takes you to the trailhead (white Olomana sign on the left side of the road).

Great Trail we did it on Wednesday. was very muddy in the beggining.. made it to the first peak. beautiful view from the top.

Great views hiking the Three Peaks. Parking is far, before the golf course so add a mile each way. Heard people were getting tickets so be careful where you park. I parked on the street prior to the bus stop because I read that people were getting tickets there (security guard at the golf course also mentioned cars getting tickets) but tons of cars were still parked around there. It was a Sunday.

The trail was a bit muddy from the rain. But after half a mile or so, it wasn’t too bad. Incline and a few spots where you’ll need to climb. There are ropes and it’s not too difficult, unless you’re not that experienced or if it’s wet.

Trek up to the 1st peak was fun and challenging. Took about an hour from the trailhead.

If you continue past the 1st peaks summit you’ll head down to amazing views of the 2nd and 3rd peak.

Hiking up the 2nd peak was fairly easy. Going down the 2nd to the 3rd is tricky/hard. You’ll have to scale down a pretty high wall. There are ropes but if you’re scared of heights I wouldn’t advise trying. Also if it’s wet from the rain it might be too slippery.

After the decent down, you’ll make your way up the 3rd peak. It’s narrow and tricky but not as bad as I thought it would be. Again rain/wind or if you’re scared of heights is a different story.

Super muddy on the way back (bc it rained recently and a little while i was there) which made it slippery.

Overall amazing hike and I’m glad I did all 3 peaks on my first try!

Everything you need to know about 3 peaks

@noahawaii

awesome hike, great views and not crowded at all!

LOVE THIS HIKE SO MUCH! It got a little sketchy at times but I feel so accomplished after doing it. We made it to the second peak on a rainy day. 10/10 would love to go again.

All-time favorite hike. It’s very fun and challenging. Trail is clearly marked and it’s hard to get lost.

I just did the first peak. it took about an hour up and an hour back. pretty empty trail starting at 6:30 on a Wednesday morning. I only saw 4 other people the whole time. The trail was a little muddy, but not as bad as I expected from other reviews....not sure when it last rained hard. I wore my old running shoes and did just fine with them.

I really enjoyed this hike. Nice incline, plenty of roots to grasp on, and rope climbs. The route was quite muddy from rainfall but spectacular views. I would recommend good footwear for climbing and scaling the walls. Beyond the first peak, I'd recommend a love for heights! Great time!

We parked outside the golf course entrance on the side of the road and then walked to the start of the trail down the road leading to the golf course.

One of the best trails I've hiked in Hawaii! Starts relatively gradual, but gets steep the closer you get to the top! Most people only do the first peak, but for the extra challenge it's fun to knock out the second and third peaks as well!

A hiker fell to his death today while on the third peak of Ahiki.

Such a fun hike! Very steep relative to most other hikes I’ve found in Oahu. 1.5 hours up to the second peak with plenty of photo stops. 45 minutes down.

This trail was a good work out! Thankfully we went when it was sunny and the ground was dry. The view at the top was amazing. Make sure your confident climbing rocks that have a steep drop before you go!

This hike was harder than I anticipated, but well worth the climb. In order to reach the first summit, you will maneuver up muddy slopes and will need to climb several rocky areas with the aid of ropes. We stopped at the first peak and took some amazing photos. Views were breathtaking. Climbing down proved to be more difficult than going up, but there are plenty of trees and roots to grip onto as you descend. Would highly recommend this hike. Wear proper footwear.

One of the best hikes/climbs. :) In my first try I got to all three peaks thanks to the beautiful weather today. It's demending, relatively hard. It's worth the sweat and effort. Exhilarating, exciting!

Definitely a favorite. Unlike hikes where you can feel every mile, this hike felt a lot shorter than it actually was. Astounding views. Gets your heart pumping and your adrenaline racing.

You have to park a few roads away from where the trail begins. If you start to drive past the security booth, the guard will stop you and let you know that cars can’t enter but you can pass by on foot. You’ll walk a bit down the road until you reach the sign (very obvious) and immediately enter the forest, mud and all.

Soon the terrain switches to pine forest (someone must explain these elusive pine trees to me) and then becomes more rock-like, with lots of boulders, dirt, and trees to hold on to. The trail grows steeper and even though there were many ropes, I found that the terrain wasn’t quite as thigh-burning (90 degree angled) as others. The rocks you’d climb were at a 45 degree angle - nice and steep but more cardio-focused than muscle-focused.

As you reach the first peak, you have to boulder a little to get to the top, and then walk along a rock-ridge. The wind feels great and the height is exhilarating. It’s definitely not for children or anyone afraid of heights. Many people go on to the second and third peaks but from what we heard, the second peak is lower and less impressive than the first (it has an unimpeded view of the island), and the third is much more dangerous for a similar view. It’s a lot steeper than the first and unless you’re an experienced climber with your own rope, it’s not recommended.

We chose not to do the second/third peaks and instead enjoyed the first peak for a while, then headed down. We ran into numerous helicopters along the way (on this hike and others), at least one being a rescue chopper. They get so close!

I highly recommend this hike for people who love heights. Overall I’d say it was a moderate hike, took us about 3 hours round-trip including the 30 min. photo break at the top, numerous conversations with other hikers we ran into, and idle chitchat.

Fantastic hike
The second and third peak are only for experienced hikers

absolutely beautiful hike - trail was a little muddy but had good footing the whole way up to the first peak. we rode our bikes to the entrance of the golf club & locked them to a fence. when we got back they were gone so if you plan on biking be careful of the risk. would definitely recommend though! very fun and 360 views of the windward side of island.

One of my favorite hikes. It’s challenging to do all three peaks but well wort the effort. Parking is an issue so get there early. Don’t be fooled by the mileage noted. You have to walk approximately a mile to get to trail head on golf course from where you have to park. Gloves are a good accessory because there are lots of ropes. Thighs might be sore for a few days after. Views on a clear day are fabulous. On my iPhone it says 195 floors climbed after hike.

We did the first peak today. Awesome views from top. One issue was that the directions given in this app lead us to park in a spot where we got a citation for parking on a sidewalk. Ugh, 3 stars for parking!