Okolehao Trail

Okolehao Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Also dubbed Hanalei River Trail and Hihimanu Trail, this ridgeline ascent behind Hanalei offers a one-of-a-kind behind the curtains view of the valley and the ocean beyond. After a few hundred yards of mild forest meandering the trail turns left and thus begins a challenging half-mile climb to the first vista, a clearing next to an electrical tower that gives a taste of what visual splendor awaits those who proceed. For many, this initial climb and view may suffice. For those who wish to venture on, the hike tames down a bit, following the ridgeline. Close to the one mile mark look for the notable tree known as "Woody." Keep climbing another 5-10 minutes and you reach the second flat plateau with sweeping views of Hanalei Bay, Hanalei Pier, the Kilauea Lighthouse, Princeville, the taro fields you left behind, and Bali Hai. For the truly adventurous, the trail continues on and after the 1.5 mile mark turns into a rope-assisted climb (literally) of Hihimanu Ridge (Kauais Twin Peaks)... often with significant mud. This last section is arduous, can be dangerous, and should only be attempted by experienced hikers who dont have a fear of heights. At the end of the Okolehao Trail is another plateau and you see everything you did before plus the Hanalei River coming out of the mountain valley and a close up view of all the mountains including Waialeale. In total you can see 1/5 of the entire island. The trail can be muddy and slick if it has rained at all in the last few days, so be sure to grab a walking stick at the trailhead from the pile near the bridge. If planning on doing the entire climb, itd be wise to start early and bring plenty of water. The round trip hike should take around 4-5 hours if moving at a decent pace.

the bench is past the first look out point with the electric wires. it is worth it to make it up to the bench which I believe is about a mile in. the path is easy to follow. if you want to go past the bench, the path becomes much smaller and steeper as you ascend and descend. there are ropes along the way that help tremendously. there was no mud when I went and the hike was hard, but enjoyable. you have many good views along the way. I cant imagine how difficult it would be in the mud as the paths can become quite narrow and very steep at parts.

total distance in 2.5 miles. I did the 5 miles round trip in about 4 hours including stopping for pictures and water breaks.

If you plan to venture to the very end of this trail. Plan on bringing good mud shoes, plenty of water, and gloves for the ropes...
It's decently better if it hasn't rained for a couple of days...
It's a great and challenging trail!

We made it past the bench and up 8 ropes. Wish we had more water so we could have gone farther, but we enjoyed hiking this trails for 4 hours. Would go again in a heartbeat!!

It was really strenuous on the way up. I am so thankful that I had trekking poles! It started raining when I got to the bench so I didn't go past the bench but I'd do it again!

I started this hike with considerable trepidation. I'm 65 -in good shape for my age, but no Ironman. I had meniscus surgery 10 weeks ago. Hiking solo -yeah, I know that isn't the best idea, but all my young relatives declined, and finally went home yesterday. But, it was a great adventure.

I was fortunate that it had hardly rained in the past seven days. I STRONGLY advise against this hike if it has rained recently. Downright dangerous. Even without recent rain I can guarantee you will slip at least once.

The first 1/3 of the hike is moderate -to about Mile 1.5. Then it becomes strenuous.I recommend long pants. Fortunately, I had along convertible pants, and added the lower legs at Mile 1.75. You need at least medium tread. Some other hikers had jogging shoes. One had Tevas. I'd advise something a tad sturdier, if you have it.

I didn't actually quite make it to the end. I'm pretty sure I was very close, but there was one very long rope climb left, and I figured I had seen what I wanted to see. Besides, I was concerned about my knee on the trip back down.

Allowing 15 minutes more to finish would have made the trip 6 hours at a steady pace. I saw that AllTrails introduction said "4-5 hours." Well, maybe. Seems skimpy to me. I was moving at a pretty good pace. It isn't easy to hurry; there are just too many obstacles. Sounds like a long time to do just 4.1 miles each way, but it's not an easy hike.

But, quite recommended.

Lovely trail, steadily steep for quite a while, semi-torturous. Beautiful views. If you want to get to the bench: at power line, face back towards the trail you came in on, and take the main trail to the right. It's about 20 more minutes. Really nice up there.

Went looking for the bench that no longer exists, but had a great time!

Lots of uphill getting there, but the vistas are worth it!! Make sure it's been sunny for a full 2 days, or the mud may inhibit your ability to even get started. It will definitely make doing the entire hike a dangerous prospect.

To the resting bench: Great hike with dogs - if you don't have a pup, borrow one from the ASPCA for a field trip you'll both enjoy!

If you go to the very end at the twin peaks, have a hiking buddy (and no dog) because the ropes/cables can be tricky. Also, they are much easier going up than coming down in my experience. Gloves are helpful for the downhill climbs. Every view point is better than the last, but you really have to earn each one. The rim portions can be very narrow - I slipped off the edge once, thinking I was stepping in shrubbery overgrown on the path. It takes longer than you may expect, so plan accordingly.

My husband and I really enjoyed this trail. It's very steep for the first half mile, then becomes a series of inclines and declines after the first lookout. I'm not sure it needs the "hard" designation though - it was about the same level of toughness as most of the other trails we did while on Kauai.

While the first lookout is beautiful (save for the power lines in the middle of the view), it's gets far better along the way.

Also, for any women planning to hike, I recommend longer pants. Most of the path is shaded, but there are a number of narrow passages with sharp brush.

Great view spots. Not too hard of a trail. 2 hours up, 1 down.

After a rainy morning the whether became better but the whole way was really slippery and you have to be careful where to step.
After one km you have already a nice view but there are electricity strings in the way.
After two km way you reach the nicer lookout of the hanalei bay. It is really awesome and you can have a rest on a bench.
We choose to go back because we're not sure about the rain. The way back was quite challenging. We would say the only thing which is hard is the slippery ground. But view is worth it! ;)

Very nice hike! Never able to find the end? We turned around after 2miles. Great views :) Would like to do it again but until the top!!

Trail dry, hiking sticks helpful, shade while way, great views!

One of my favourites.
Really enjoyed this hike, lots of birds singing, beautiful greenery and flowers.
Saw a cane toad, a giant centipede, kangaroo rats, geckos, various birds and little newts.
We did the full 2.5 miles (5 miles out and back)
First mile and a half is steep but fairly easy.
After the 1.75 mile marker, it gets kind of funky. Ropes are anchored to help you up and down.
Lots of strawberry guava were ripe for the picking.
Good views of Hanalei bay to the west and the lush jungle to the east.

Great hike. After crossing the bridge make sure to grab one of the many walking sticks left by previous hikers. You will need it.

At about 100 steps you will come to a wide muddy area. Take your time and position your steps well. You don't want to get your shoes to muddy from the get go. If you minimize the mud here the rest of your hike will be a lot more fun.

If you like a workout this is a good one as you start going up right away and for an extended period. At the half mile mark you get a great view of the bay with power lines overhead. The next half mile keeps your legs burning too. After the first mile you get another view without power lines. The last .75 mikes is fun. The trail is skinnier and make your way threw small jungle areas. At the top you get a panoramic view of multiple sides of the island.

Definitely recommend if you want a good workout. I would bring a small backpack with a towel and socks just in case you get a little too muddy at the beginning. Walking stick is a must as it will help with coming down, can be slippery.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Muddy and challenging canopied stretches opening to sweeping views of Hanalei Bay and Princeville.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

This was ridiculously muddy and swampy. You can't take in any of the scenery because you're too focused on keeping your footing and not slipping down the trail. It's really steep in spots, going up was much easier than coming down.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Beginning of the trail was very muddy. The way up to the first look out ( bench) was ok if it's wet it can be a bit slippery. However if someone want to do the whole trail be aware. It's slippery, the path can be very narrow and one has to slow down In order to make sure where to step. Couple of place are a bit sketchy. On my way to the end a couple of people turned around because they thought it was too dangerous. I don't think the view at the end was worth it. Again, the first lookout I would recommend but not the whole hike.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Very spectacular views!! A variety of terrain and beautiful flowers. Amazing hiking trail... a must for the adventurer!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Being an avid hiker for many years (2-3 day/wk), in good shape, in my early 30's. One of the more challenging trails I have done on the island. I hiked at an aggressive pace, so it was a great workout. The first 3rd of the trail is pretty straight foward, I agree with some of the other reviews though, once you ascend higher up, the trail becomes more narrow, and less pronounced. If you stick with it, you get amazing views of Hanalei Bay; it's definitely worth the effort, and loved the hike. Highly recommended it, but if it has rained within 24hrs of your hike, the trail may be a bit slick in areas, and cause it to become more difficult.