Nu'uanu Pali Lookout to Likeke Falls

Nu'uanu Pali Lookout to Likeke Falls is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maunawili, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It was an ok hike, a lot longer than I expected it to be but it’s a nice hike for beginners.

My wife and I were visiting from Washington State and wanted to do something different on this trip.
I’m an avid hiker and she agreed to go on a hike with me so long as we could see a waterfall.
I picked this one because it didn’t look too difficult and we could hit the beach later in the day.
We started at the Pali lookout and had trouble finding the trailhead. It’s to the right of the viewpoint but you have to jump over barricades and past the “Danger Falling Rocks” signs.

My reaction “this trail is going to be awesome!”
Wife’s reaction “you didn’t say we were in danger!”
We followed the trail for about a mile and came to a junction. This is where it got tricky. We passed along behind a fence and down the trail for about .75 miles before I realized we should have went left. Doubled back and found that the trail that goes under the highway.
You will go down a ladder and duck walk under the overpass.
My reaction “yay, and extra couple of miles!”
Wife’s reaction “I’m going to kill you in your sleep!”
It follows an old road and then gets “difficult”.
Now the trail is pretty overgrown and takes a couple of switchbacks.

My reaction “what an awesome adventure”.
Wife’s reaction, “we are going to die”.
The trail goes up a steep muddy hill, then keeps winding around the trees and mud. Did I mention the mud?
My reaction, “this trail is pretty neat and different from those in Washington”.
My wife's reaction, “this might be the last waterfall I ever see before I die!”

We came to another Y in the trail just before the falls. We found out from other hikers that this trail goes for about .5 miles to a church and large parking lot. This news didn’t bode well for me. Once we found out there was a shortcut I was a wanted man.
We checked out the waterfall took some pictures and went out via the “shortcut” to the church, called and Uber and made it back to our car.
All in all we did just under 5 miles.
My wife did not die, but she did slip in the mud pretty good. She hasn’t divorced me yet. We will see how her legs feel in the morning though.

Bottom line, this is not a beginner hike. Wanna see the falls with a rookie hiker? Take the shortcut and stay married.

Check out Hawaii Waterfall Chasing on Relive!

Fantastic choice for first timers or visitors wanting to get a bird’s eye view of the island! It’s extremely windy, so be prepared to get blown around a bit.
My favorite part of this location is the history. I first visited as a field trip for my college class, and it’s amazing to picture the important battles that took place on the mountain sides. It’s also a bit scary to imagine the men who jumped rather than be taken prisoner!
It gives a gorgeous view of the oceanfront and mountainsides, and you can usually spot a storm rolling in over the valley.

Nice hike. Interesting to start downhigh and return uphill. You can also approach the falls from below (search Likeke Falls Trail), which is an easier and shorter hike.

Great views. Good hike.