Nāulu Trail

Nāulu Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hawaii National Park, Hawaii that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

This is a trail that is about half-way down the Chain of Craters Road in Volcano NP. Got to the trail at about 0645 and caught a great sunrise via the lookout point across from trail access. Trail starts on the opposite side of Kealakomo lookout and winds through a small grassy area before hitting the lava fields. Only trail markers are stacked volcanic rocks, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. Most of the hike is over lava fields but ends in a lush rain forest. I stopped at the end of Naulu trail and did not venture to the Makaopuhi crater. Total about 6.5 miles (2 hrs 45 min) round trip. I would advise to start early in the AM as the temperature steadily increases and hiking on lava fields can get hot, especially when there are few trees. I did get growled at by something large once I got to the rain forest and then "it" scurried away; I've been told there are wild boar out there, so yeah. I did not encounter any other hikers on this trail at all, very peaceful.