Nakoa Trail Kahana Valley Trail

Nakoa Trail Kahana Valley Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Hawaii that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good hike, very secluded and lightly used trail. Just keep in mind as soon as you hit the trail head you will be out of service until complete.

Nothing spectacular to see here. Very dense and provides a small level of difficulty.

enjoyable hike, nothing to extraordinary to see though.
Don't park in the first parking lot when you pull in; continue driving down the road until you see a large trail sign and it says Visitors Park Here. it will save you almost a mile walking.
We went to the right on the loop, up what looks like a service road. it's nice and easy.
I believe at marker #2 if you go off the Nakoa trail you can get to some pools and bunker(s?). we found out about them after we got done and wished we had gone to see them.
It was a little muddy but not horrible.

Moderate hike multiple stream crossings and some nice swimming holes. Bring your mosquito spray.

We hiked this today with multiple families with kids ranging in age from 5-15. It is a fairly easy hike, with slight elevation changes and three stream crossings. We started the trail going to the left (clockwise) but if I were do to it again I would go counter clockwise (to the right). There was mud so it was slippery in some places. The water level at the stream crossings today was fairly low, not even knee deep but it has been dry the past few days. There were not any spectacular views or anything to give it wow factor. The entire hike was through woods, over tree roots and going under tree branches at times. Total walked for the whole loop was about 5.5 miles according to my Apple Watch. I would do this hike again as it was pretty and not too difficult for kids. We passed only a few hikers in the trail so very not crowded. A few people had dogs so it's dog friendly too. No cell service once we got into the area.

pleasant enough jungle, but no big payoff in terms of views. very muddy trail, no cell service, at the halfway point alarms started going off nearby... as a female hiking alone it was a little unnerving

I haven't done this trail in 15 years and I was sad that the river wasn't full as before. But it's a nice and easy trail, shady

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunday, July 31, 2016

At the trailhead I suggest going left for a clockwise hike, and once you get to the second river crossing just stop and go back. Or wear long pants and shirts because the mosquitos are terrible, we got tore up with bites even with repellant, the plants will cut up your legs if not careful, and I found all the mud to be annoying. The river is a fun stop to swim and swing on the rope and the water is chilly.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Beautiful gargantuan roots and tree system's!!! If you love mud, rainforests, hobbling and focusing on foot placement, mosquitos, yummy mountain apples and crossing beautiful streams, then this is for you! We recommend doing the trip in a counter clockwise manner to get the mud over with first, then you will get your feet soaked at the end when crossing the streams. It is EXTREMELY well marked with orange ribbons tied around trees at intervals. After the hike we washed off at the beach across the street.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Best rafting experience! Little hard to squeeze through sometimes but it'll all work out! Paddle board is smarter than a raft. Found out the hard way! Hahahaha

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Love hiking in Hawaii. 2003

Friday, April 17, 2015

Monday, February 09, 2015

Access: if your nav ap directs you to Trout Farm Rd, its wrong. The trail head is at the west end of the road in Kahana State Park. The entrance to the park is about a 1/4 mile north of Trout Farm Rd on 83.

Trail is kind of a plain, very narrow single-track jungle trail with four river/creek crossings; two shin deep and two to jump over. Lots of roots, and trunks to go over/under. Glad for the guy who marked the trail with orange tape, but going clockwise, he must have ran out of tape the last 3/4 mile(?) and made me question if I was off the trail! Good trail for hikers with a dog. I didn't see the mosquitoes today (Feb 8th) like others posted...,just a few. NOT a good trail for bikes. Few views, but a few more birds than most Oahu hikes.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Easy to moderate, trail has plenty of shade, good for dogs, and 2 river crossings. Slightly muddy in places, but not too bad overall.