Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail (CLOSED)

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail (CLOSED) is a 22 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Haena, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

beach

cave

old growth

closed

Hāʻena State Park and the adjacent Nāpali Coast State Wilderness Park (including the Kalalau Trail) on Kauai are closed due to flood damage affecting both the parks, as well as the highway and bridges which access the parks. Closures will likely be for an extended period of time, as damage assessments and repairs must be completed. http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/hiking/kauai/kalalau-trail/ The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls.

Beautiful, paradise hike in 2014 when I hiked to Hanakapi’ai Beach and then on to the Falls! Unbelievable views.

The trail is wonderful and not very technical at all, but it is long (22 miles) and often very slippery. If you like long beautiful hikes this is the way to go. I would recommend to leave super early so you can make it back before dark. Take a Lifestraw with you to save dragging water with you. At the half way (11mile) mark, before turning around, make sure to dip in the creek - it is magical.

My happy place

Any update on the trail opening? Is there another way to access the trail (kayak or another trail head?) Are there other long hikes on the island that you all like? My gf and I like to hike and booked a trip in August, but it looks like our luck has run thin...

Didn’t resort to crawling but absolutely pegged my adrenaline meter when I hiked this back in 1977

Too bad it’s closed, it seems like that happens to all the best places. We hiked this on our honeymoon

Road after Hanalei closed till November at least

Still closed-locals tell me it’s going to be closed almost a year

has there been any backpackers on this trail?? im trying to camp at Kalalau Beach but the permits are still not available since the beginning of this year. i just want to confirm

I've done this hike 4 times. It's incredible.

It’s very hard. Very steep. But the views are awesome

My friend and I did this in a single day, 14 hours total including a 1 hour break at Kalalau beach. I wouldn't recommend this if you are only visiting Kauai - Kalalau beach is one of the nicest places you may ever get to on this planet and we wish we had stayed at least one night at this magical place.

Recommendations:
-hiking sandals are the way to go. Shoes take on water early and you'll be sloshing around all day
-we carried all of our water in, next time I'd bring a filter or tablets to grab water on the way
-you can leave your stuff anywhere on the beach at Kalalau. Everyone is your friend here!

I backpacked the entire trail in the rainy season which made for some seriously sloppy terrain on the edge of some very sketchy goat paths about 5 miles in- IT WAS AWESOME. I also had a run in with some GIANT cockroaches (and bull frogs who were feasting on them)... don’t stay in the Forrest during rainy season if you want to avoid getting crawled on by these. One of the best trips I’ve taken ❤️

Incredible hike! Wish we had brought backpacking gear to do the whole thing! Not a lot of elevation gain though so it was easy to do about a 10km stretch (20km total) in one day. Start really early so you can have the trail to yourself and enjoy sunrise! It gets extremely crowded later on

Great trail, it’s particularly harder when it’s raining and wet. I’d suggest a hiking stick if you don’t have one grab one before you start. Keep an eye out for weird feral cats on the first beach and the occasional friendly rat.

Great mixture of challenging but quick. Watering hole at the end is a must!

Great scenery right from the start, which improves the further you get into the hike. Unclear why AllTrails lists it as 9 miles each way - definitely marked as 11 and certainly felt like 11. Either the markers or the app is incorrect.

Regardless, the last four cliffside miles are fairly safe in the dry but in moderate rain some of the narrow muddy walkways (i.e. not crawlers ledge) around mile 8 felt not just heady but genuinely dangerous. We didn't have trekking poles but really missed them when trying to keep from sliding off a muddy cliff. Many water sources, so use iodine. Also, plan for rain even if not explicitly forecasted.

Started out rather easy, however,trail became a bit tough as we hiked towards the falls. As a firefighter and EMT, I would suggest having a first aid kit and splinting supplies. As well as a way to purify your water , due to risk of running out on the trail. The.first aid kit may come in handy, not for you, but for someone else! I saw this first hand while hiking back from the falls . A hiker had broken her ankle and had to be flown out via Kauai fire & rescue chopper. If you have the resources , a Sat phone would be of great use when an emergency takes place on Napali trail.

Incredible!! Only did the first two miles to beach, full of gorgeous views the whole way. You can continue up to a waterfall an additional 1.8 miles from the beach. Any further along the trial and you need a permit to continue. We reached the parking lot at 830 and there was plenty of room in the farther second lot, but this fills up fast and people start parking along the road. Bathrooms at the trailhead and the beach at 2 miles. Several stream crossings but able to stay dry with balancing. Recommend hiking shoes or waterproof hiking sandals with straps, though saw plenty doing it in sneakers. Nice to get out early but also be sure to catch some views post noon on the way back, as the light changes and water turns a beautiful azure blue.

One of the best hikes I have been on. Most of the reviews and you tube videos are pretty misleading about the dangers. Crawlers ledge is not a big deal. At no point did I feel like I was in much danger. Yeah if you fall it would be bad but honestly by the time you get there (mile 7, 8 or 9 not sure) you have pretty well been tested. Just keep your eyes on the trail as you go and stop walking if you want to look around. The river crossings were not a big deal either. I know that can change but just do what the signs say. If it’s really muddy and fast looking don’t cross. If the river is moving rocks (you would hear) don’t cross. I feel like people make a big deal about that stuff more to seem extreme or daring than to warn people. No body wants to see anyone get hurt. Be smart but don’t let the dangers stop you from going. It is an extremely rewarding experience. It would be even more so if you were scared of those things and did it anyway. The thing that surprised me about the hike was how hard it was. I have done some 20 to 25 mile days before so we thought about doing it in one day but decided we wanted to camp at the beach. Good thing to because by the time we got there we were ready to call it. I don’t know if it was the humidity or the constant up and down but it was a hard 11 miles. I saw some people recommended staying at the camp at six miles. If you have 3 or 4 days and your worried about the difficulty that’s probably a good idea. Take two weeks if you need to. It would be worth it.

Spent a leisurely 6 days (Feb 2018) there and back doing all side and waterfall trails. Take your time to enjoy the views. Caught a break with little rain but trail had been closed for several days prior to our start which made for awesome waterfalls but very muddy and slippery conditions

Fantastic views, muddy in wintertime, nur worth it. Long and exhausting because of the high humidity. Crawlers Ledge is not difficult at all.

My wife and I hiked around 3 miles along the trail before we headed back. The trail is beautiful with plenty of vista points along the way.

Breathtaking

Stunning the entire way!! Did this July of 2016. First: DO NOT let reviews scare you about Crawler’s Ledge! Could be a bit unnerving if you have a true fear of heights I suppose but really exhilarating otherwise. Second: Be sure to allow a few days to explore the valley before heading back! Would be a shame to miss that experience!

Great hike! Beautiful views!

This is a beautiful trail not for the casual stroller. It’s dirty, wet and very slippery. That being said, it’s one of the most beautiful trails I’ve every seen. This trail is highly trafficked much of the time.

A must do if you're on Kauai! Incredible views even if you go the first 1/2 mile. I was crunched for time, so only made it to mile 2 (the beach) and it was still totally worth it. Bring a snack to enjoy! Most beautiful blue water to contrast the greens and browns of the coast. We were able to see some whales at the emergency helicopter landing spot. Amazing view. Be prepared for mud and steps and slippery terrain (so wear good shoes!), but so much fun. I hope to come back and hike further next time!

should be experience hiker, roughest 11 miles you will do, bugs bites, hot and muggy, unpredictable weather.

My favorite trail of all time so far! The trickiest part is the mud of course, but so much fun. We only went to the 2 mile beach mark, we were tuckered out! There was a boar skin hanging at the beach...?
Met lovely people on this trail. Our honeymoon was so great with this hike added to it.