Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei (Kauai), Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

cave

old growth

The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls. That's all there is!

Amazing views. The most stunning trail i have ever experienced.

Absolutely amazing. Great terrain and awesome views. It is a good challenge. Had no issues with it, and that was my first real hike. I was thoroughly exhausted however. Cliff section is a bit scary, but definitely manageable. You just have to pay attention and stay focused an you'll be fine. That goes for the entire 22 miles. No issues parking my car at the trail head, although you do have to get there early to get a good spot.

Only did 15 miles of this hike but for what it is worth, it was a beautiful ( and exhausting ) hike along the gorgeous napali coast. It is meant for camping, of course. But my husband and I wanted to see as much of it as we could in one day.

Hiked out yesterday. My husband and I have been to Kalalau a few times now. Still one of the most beautiful (and hardest) hikes to my favorite place on Earth. Start early (around sunrise) to avoid some of the heat. I used hiking poles for the first time and loved that I felt more balanced and less scared on the narrow-with-sheer-drop-off parts.

Do not hike this unless you are experienced hiker. We did it in two days. Most difficult hike I've ever done. That being said it's the Most beautiful place on earth.

Surely paradise!!!

Breath taking views at every turn!!

On this trail you will hike for a few miles then do some mud bogging, then climb over the rocks and tree roots, then traverse the cliffs, cross the dessert and the river to arrive in paradise. We sat in the river for hours and bathed in the waterfall at the beach. It was awesome. And then you get to do the grueling hike again going out

Hike was 11 miles from trail head to camping spots at beach and another half mile to waterfall. More ups and downs than you can imagine. I would not recommend for people that are afraid of heights. Many beautiful views with steep drop offs. Very windy on my return and the narrow walk on the cliff was an adrenaline rush. Great hike, but would only do it again if I planned on camping and spending some time there. Hope this place remains like this forever.