Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei (Kauai), Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

cave

old growth

The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls. That's all there is!

The Na Pali coast is incredible. We only walked out about a mile or so, but the views keep getting better the further you go. Would love to go back some time and do a serious day hike. Really rugged coast line. This trail is not for everyone, pretty tough even over the short distance we went

Beautiful hike. Make sure you have good shoes and a light pack.

It was great. My wife's longest hike. She rolled an ankle and scraped a knee but she's a trooper and made it out alive.
Definitely bring plenty of water or a filter. There are bathrooms with TP at the beach after 2 miles. After that, the trail gets more technical and narrow. We only made it 7.5 miles out and back total.

And longer pants are advised due to the shrubs and bug spray.

Cheers! Brendt

Breathtaking in it's beauty and risk! Challenge your fear of heights at crawlers ledge, which pushed me way beyond my limits. Not for the faint of heart but a truly magical experience that I think every true backpacker must have atleast once in their lives. Worth the panic attacks!

I absolutely loved the hike! I was a bit worried at first, after reading that its a very hard hike and I hadnt hiked a long distance in a while anymore. But I have to admit that I was surprised by how easy I found the hike. I hiked the 8 mile loop to the waterfall and although there is a lot of climbing and descending, it was not as hard as I expected it to be. Nevertheless, it was one of the most beautiful hikes I have done in my life. Make sure you bring rain clothes, we got caught in some heavy rains and were glad we brought rain clothes. The trail gets a bit tricky when its raining and wet, but it does add to the magic, especially when the path turns into a 'river'.

Three words....WOW, WOW, WOW!

My most memorable hike ever!!!
This is paradise, the views are just to die for
This hike is not for everyone and definitely
I was shocked to see people on sandals, dress shoes, etc...be prepared and enjoy, the trial gets quite quiet after the crossing the creek, most of the tourist stop here...after that is mostly you and nature.

Kalalau Trail - Hike of a Lifetime
Walk with us on our 22-mile adventure on the Kalalau Trail along the Napali Coast, Kauai. This dream hike was the birthday wish of our best friend Patty. We all highly recommend this hike for anyone who has an adventurous spirit and wants to experience Hawaii at it's best. Aloha

Had an incredible time hiking and camping!

A lot of people to dodge in the first few miles. But it's one of the best hikes in the United States.

Absolute amazing hike. Can't wait to do the entire trail.

I am flying in from Oahu on June 22nd. I have a permit to camp on June 23rd and I will be walking back to the trailhead on the 24th. Since it is just me, I am looking for someone to share a shuttle ride. There is a service but, it is a two person minimum. If anyone is interested and the dates work, please email me at stfesta@yahoo.com