Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei (Kauai), Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

cave

old growth

The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls. That's all there is!

Great trail with breathtaking views. Make sure you arrive early as parking is bad and the trail can be crowded.

I just posted a video on the trail on my YouTube and IG if you'd like to see what you're in for. https://youtu.be/ch-CnALYNiQ IG @Venturealoha

My girlfriend and I just did this trail two weeks ago and it's the most epic hike ever. The beach at the end is amazing and the views on the trail are unreal. Follow my IG @VentureAloha for pictures and if you have any questions feel free to message me.

scenic driving

My husband and I went on a around the island tour in 2010 during our Honeymoon and island ceremony in Honolulu. We enjoyed the Pali lookout and hope to visit this fantastic view again

epic

Truly one of the best. But don't attempt the eroded dirt parts near crawlers ledge in rain & wind. It gets pretty sketchy. Just stay where you are if it's really raining. And watch out for the permanent "homesteaders."

I've never experienced anything else like it. Kalalau is simply paradise. I completed the trail this past October, and I've already planned two return trips already for 2017/18. I camped solo for three nights under the stars. I'd recommend a hammock over a tent, take hiking poles to help combat the mud, and waterproof absolutely everything. If you have the opportunity, hike up the river into Kalalau Valley in search for Big Pool; If you're fortunate you'll get lost and end up at the community garden. I had the privilege to get to know some of the locals living in the valley, and they educated me on various fruit trees and vegetables growing in the area. My last night, I had a papaya salad, taro fries and Jamaican Lilikoi, with mint tea - all from what I had collected that day. You owe it to yourself to check this out.

Beautiful scenery, but make sure the weather is cooperating!! In the rain, this trail is very dangerous!! The river has claimed many lives. It is steep and very muddy. The wind can make you lose your footing. The risks are high, but the rewards are great. For the experienced hiker only...

Best hike of my life!! Camped overnight and loved every second. Challenging, scary, breath taking and unforgettable!! Must be in good shape. Not for the faint of heart!

Z

Hiked to Kalalau Beach twice, most recently a year ago. Would give this trail section 5 stars except for the crowds.