Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei (Kauai), Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

cave

old growth

The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls.

The most amazing hike I have ever done. We camped at the beach for two nights and it was amazing. The views were incredible. It rained on the way there which made it so much harder. Wear good trail shoes or hiking boots and take poles. We did both ways in one day. The hike in was fine but the last mile of the hike out was rough. Our knees were shot. Worth every second.

One of the greatest hikes on Earth

One of the world's greatest backpacking trails. Suggest 2 days in and 1 long day out. Bring good footwear. Trails is often muddy and sometimes even washed out. Do not go in times of long periods of rain. Permit required.

Incredible views. Loved hiking up for the views and coming down to the beach. Most stunning tropical landscape I've ever seen. Only got to go about 4 miles in and turned back. If you can, bring trekking poles - it's slippery and hard on bad knees. I will come back here one day to trek the whole thing.

Came to Kauai to do this backpacking trip. Planned it for 6 months and geared up for something that EVERY review said was extremely difficult. The only thing extreme is the rugged landscape. The actual hike isn’t difficult, even with the wet and muddy conditions. Having said that, it’s not easy either. One thing for sure...it’s beautiful and something you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Being from Oregon, I’ve actually been on hikes that are more physically demanding than this one. Make sure you bring a comfortable pack! For me, that factor was the most noticeable.
Got to mile 6 after a very late start on the first day. Set up camp and then the rain came, HEAVY, and continued through the night for 12 hours. By 6 am the next day, the stream from the day before turned into a river and was no longer passable, so we were forced to turn around. All the same, it was worth the trek. Put this on your todo list. It’s worth it.

Went hiking this trail back and forth in one day. The trail in to Kalalau was 11 miles. We started 6:30 am and came back 5:30 pm.

One day in one day out. Camped one night. Absolutely gorgeous. Need to cross rivers. Cliff session is at mile 7 but it is not too scary. Life time experience.

We did it

An absolute must! We hiked to and from Hanakapi’ai Beach, which is quite rewarding. We saw a few people with flip-flops, which is extremely dangerous. Wear good hiking boots/shoes. It’s very muddy and extremely slippery (especially closer to Hanakapi’ai Beach). There are lots of uneven rocks and you have to cross a small pond at one point. The Nā Pali Coast views along the way are breathtaking! Add this hike to your Kauai priority list! Kudos to those who hike the 22 miles!

Went all the way to final beach and stayed over night. Incredible isn’t even the word

most beautiful trail I've ever hikes. we did 1st 2-3miles ending at the 1st beach right after crossing 1st river. it was safe, just don not hoarse around its still a cliff side hike. This is not the scary part most people put on YouTube and you still get breathtaking views

Did the first part, going to Hanakapi'ai beach and then to the Hanakapi'ai Falls and back.
Not too strenuous but expect a lot of mud and a couple of water crossing on slippery rocks. Use the right shoes or get your feet wet ( I did !)
Well worth it once you get to the waterfall !

Great trail. Got an early start and enjoyed every minute of it. Glad we came back after being turned away a few days ago because of a fire. Recommend everyone with some experience to do it

Best trail I've ever done in my entire life. Strenuous but a lot of fun and the beach at the end is more of a reward then I could have hoped for. One way can be done in one day or take your time and do it in two, which is what I did. Stunning.

Beautiful hike in a beautiful location. It's a difficult one with dangerous river crossings, so I wouldn't necessarily go if you're not an experienced hiker. We do many hikes and this one was definitely one of the most challenging ones.

Amazing views. The most stunning trail i have ever experienced.

Absolutely amazing. Great terrain and awesome views. It is a good challenge. Had no issues with it, and that was my first real hike. I was thoroughly exhausted however. Cliff section is a bit scary, but definitely manageable. You just have to pay attention and stay focused an you'll be fine. That goes for the entire 22 miles. No issues parking my car at the trail head, although you do have to get there early to get a good spot.

Only did 15 miles of this hike but for what it is worth, it was a beautiful ( and exhausting ) hike along the gorgeous napali coast. It is meant for camping, of course. But my husband and I wanted to see as much of it as we could in one day.

Hiked out yesterday. My husband and I have been to Kalalau a few times now. Still one of the most beautiful (and hardest) hikes to my favorite place on Earth. Start early (around sunrise) to avoid some of the heat. I used hiking poles for the first time and loved that I felt more balanced and less scared on the narrow-with-sheer-drop-off parts.

Do not hike this unless you are experienced hiker. We did it in two days. Most difficult hike I've ever done. That being said it's the Most beautiful place on earth.