Mount Kaala Trail

Mount Kaala Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

At more than 6 miles and 5,000ft of elevation gain it's one of the most difficult hikes on the O'ahu but it's worth the work to ascend to the highest point on the island. From certain points there are amazing views of the Waianae Valley and Coastline and of the North Shore.

Definitely one of my all time favorite hikes, and definitely the hardest one I’ve done. Once you get to the peak of Kaʻala the ecosystem is filled with Hawaii’s native species. Native dragon flys(pinao) Happy faced spiders, Hawaiian Snails(Pupu Kuahiwi) and so many native plants and birds like the apapane and amakihi are all abundant here. Kaʻala is also the highest place on Oahu. This hike is super beautiful and is the best place to experience Hawaii what it was possibly like a long time ago

This hike was amazing for us. We went up in about 2 hours and 15 mins. It was a long walk up, steep uphill climb, then you have a stretch with ropes and basically bouldering up. Must trust in the ropes even with the rain and mud. It was nice to have it sprinkle rain going up and pouring rain as we came down. But sure made it slippery so have to be careful. Not for kids or elderly. Path is easy to follow and there are many views along the way up. Be sure to take pics while heading up. You keep walking until you see signs to guide you. You will also walk on a wooden path for a while but this part is nice and relaxing. When we made it to the top creepy golf ball satellite dish, it was too foggy to see anything. It took us about 2 hours down. With my asthma, it was tough going up but the air up top was amazing.

The most amazing adventure I have had yet...but is a very physically demanding hike. At least it was for me.
Beautiful views. Excellent

Excellent trail with lots of character. Very well marked. The trail is pretty clear, but if muddy, is very slippery. Required to ascend up some boulders in multiple areas. There are ropes, but do not rely on them being there. No way around. Definitely recommend trekking poles for coming down. Also, bring a rain jacket. Beautiful views off the ridge line of west Oahu to see the ocean. Shaded, jungle hike with various open spots.

The views are absolutely amazing. Definitely not a hike to under prepare or underestimate. Myself and two friends got it done in 4 hrs 25 mins and we were cooked at the end.

Mount Ka'ala has been the most challenging hike ive encounter.
Its mostly vertical, it has some rock climbing; i am glad some previous hikers were kind enough to fill it up with ropes because u will sure need them.
The beggining is around 30 min in paved/sunny area, and then u reach the "forest" and start going up. It is long, be prepared, be as LIGHT as possible, i recommend doing it with camelbaks, and bring some protein for the road, we made the mistake of carrying 2 big flasks each and it wasnt fun.
All i gotta say is when you think you are losing your breath and u wont make it there u will see more and more ropes, and rocks, thats when u gotta keep going because u know u are very close to make it!

This hike (from Waianae side) is more of a workout than anything, kinda boring if you ask me... the views are only at the top, and there are no real challenges besides going uphill... took me 1:40 to get to the top since I'm used to hike steep inclines... weather was dry and hot! Probably won't do it again, I'd rather do kokohead 3 times like some people said and save myself the 1+ hour drive to get there... unless I start at kaena point to get to Ka'ala and go down on North Shore side to try something different!

This hike is the truth. I took two liters of water and ran out halfway through. The sites are stunning! You are in for extensive inclines and rocks to climb over. All this while on sheer cliffs. i had an amazing time. I thought going down would be easier on my legs; haha, I was so wrong. I went alone and it took me 5hrs to complete. The botanical garden at the top is worth the hike.

Beautiful views and definitely a good workout. Would say bring a stick or something encountered a few hunting dogs that were a bit sketchy. But other than that be ready for some steep inclines and also where some shoes with grip it is a bit slippery once you hit the ridge and fence line at some points.