Mount Kaala Trail

Mount Kaala Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

At more than 6 miles and 5,000ft of total elevation gain it's one of the most difficult hikes on the O'ahu but it's worth the work to ascend to the highest point on the island. From certain points there are amazing views of the Waianae Valley and Coastline and of the North Shore.

AllTrails, you have disappointing once again. The hike is NOT 3.35 miles to the summit...it's 5 miles. The vertical height is NOT 5,275'....it's 4,026'. Unfortunately, our trip took 5 hours to the summit and 3 to get off, and forced us to come down in the dark. As far as the trail, it gets a 5 star rating . This is a must for the island of Oahu, and much more challenging than Stairway to Heaven, but please, AllTrails.....please update your information.
Here's out video: https://youtu.be/6-vNSzwp8WQ

Took approximately 5 hours to get up and 2.5 to get down, going at a moderate pace with quite a few stops to snack and stay hydrated. The best view on the hike is around 2/3 of the way up. Going all the way seemed a bit of a waste of time due to the fact that it was in the clouds and you can barely see anything. Pretty difficult hike but nothing impossible, the hard part comes when you hit the rope sections and the trail become thinner, along with mud so it’s pretty slippery. Definitely wear shoes with good traction as well as gloves so you don’t hurt your hands on the ropes. Also it’s pretty chilly at the top so pack a sweatshirt. I definitely suggest starting this hike early on in the day so you don’t have to wonder if you’ll make it down in time before sunset. It is a decently marked trail but if you’re not careful you could get turned around easily, especially in the dark. Overall a decent hike but there’s definitely better ones on the island, with less effort and time as well. Too bad since it’s the highest point on the island.

Pretty decently long hike I’d say. Majority of the way up IS just straight elevation gain so it may be a killer on your calves (coming down will be killer on your knees). Beware of the Waianae gangs at the bottom parking lot. We were chased by them on their mopeds because one of our group members opened the scrapped cars. Remember to respect that it’s their property and I don’t suggest parking there. (You’re literally asking for your car to get stripped). Also I heard people say theres 30 rope sections and it’s true. Around 2/3’s way up, there’ll be 28ish sections of straight ropes. There’ll be a airforce installation base at the top. I wouldn’t touch anything if I were you.

Ok, first of all, All-trails is wrong on the distance to the top. Its 5 miles up and 5 miles down. That mistake cost us more than we bargained for, and we came down in the dark. Its a tough hike, mainly because of the vertical gain in altitude. There are at least 30 rope portions along the last 2 miles of the hike. There's one major rock scrambling section that's about 12' vertical.

Not for small kids or dogs.
Take extra water and snacks and hit this hike when its dry. The trail is clearly defined and no way to get lost.

Once on top, walk along the Air Force security fence to the backside of the station. There you will find AWESOME views.

Great beautiful hike. I completed this and four hours and nearly ran up to the top and hour and a half. Compared to other hard trails in the area, it's on the easier side. Expect something mud and a few roped sections closer to the top. The day of my hike all three cars in the lot including mine were broken into through the drivers side window. I was lucky that I had no valuables in the car, but still quite a headache.

The trail is decently challenging, and a lot of fun. Make sure you give yourself 6+ hours to do this. We made it to the summit at sunset and walked down the back road. Big mistake. It's roughly an 8 mile road, it will bring you out an hour from where you parked. The area where the trailhead is located is a very sketchy place to leave your car, and is ten times worse at night. Just do it all in daylight. This is definitely a trail for hikers. Don't go if you're expecting amazing views. Other trails have far better views, but the trail is lots of fun.

The amount of effort vs. the views is just not worth it. The back way to the stairway to heaven was easier with much more payoff views. But if you do go bring gloves and a jacket.

Took a 55 year-old man 5.5 hrs round trip to complete this. Definitely worth the views, but prepare to get a serious workout. Don't even think about going if it's raining or has rained hard within the last 3-4 days. Bring gloves for climbing. 3300 ft of elevation according to my GPS.
-Taylor

Great experience. It was my first time and last time doing it. It’s one of those things you only do once and it’s good enough

It was great, there are at least 3 "mental sections" of the hike where you have to walk some steep concrete to get to the start, some steep climbing till about the 3rd mile where it turns in to ropes and some steep elevation gain.

Definitely one of my all time favorite hikes, and definitely the hardest one I’ve done. Once you get to the peak of Kaʻala the ecosystem is filled with Hawaii’s native species. Native dragon flys(pinao) Happy faced spiders, Hawaiian Snails(Pupu Kuahiwi) and so many native plants and birds like the apapane and amakihi are all abundant here. Kaʻala is also the highest place on Oahu. This hike is super beautiful and is the best place to experience Hawaii what it was possibly like a long time ago

This hike was amazing for us. We went up in about 2 hours and 15 mins. It was a long walk up, steep uphill climb, then you have a stretch with ropes and basically bouldering up. Must trust in the ropes even with the rain and mud. It was nice to have it sprinkle rain going up and pouring rain as we came down. But sure made it slippery so have to be careful. Not for kids or elderly. Path is easy to follow and there are many views along the way up. Be sure to take pics while heading up. You keep walking until you see signs to guide you. You will also walk on a wooden path for a while but this part is nice and relaxing. When we made it to the top creepy golf ball satellite dish, it was too foggy to see anything. It took us about 2 hours down. With my asthma, it was tough going up but the air up top was amazing.

The most amazing adventure I have had yet...but is a very physically demanding hike. At least it was for me.
Beautiful views. Excellent

Excellent trail with lots of character. Very well marked. The trail is pretty clear, but if muddy, is very slippery. Required to ascend up some boulders in multiple areas. There are ropes, but do not rely on them being there. No way around. Definitely recommend trekking poles for coming down. Also, bring a rain jacket. Beautiful views off the ridge line of west Oahu to see the ocean. Shaded, jungle hike with various open spots.

The views are absolutely amazing. Definitely not a hike to under prepare or underestimate. Myself and two friends got it done in 4 hrs 25 mins and we were cooked at the end.

Mount Ka'ala has been the most challenging hike ive encounter.
Its mostly vertical, it has some rock climbing; i am glad some previous hikers were kind enough to fill it up with ropes because u will sure need them.
The beggining is around 30 min in paved/sunny area, and then u reach the "forest" and start going up. It is long, be prepared, be as LIGHT as possible, i recommend doing it with camelbaks, and bring some protein for the road, we made the mistake of carrying 2 big flasks each and it wasnt fun.
All i gotta say is when you think you are losing your breath and u wont make it there u will see more and more ropes, and rocks, thats when u gotta keep going because u know u are very close to make it!

This hike (from Waianae side) is more of a workout than anything, kinda boring if you ask me... the views are only at the top, and there are no real challenges besides going uphill... took me 1:40 to get to the top since I'm used to hike steep inclines... weather was dry and hot! Probably won't do it again, I'd rather do kokohead 3 times like some people said and save myself the 1+ hour drive to get there... unless I start at kaena point to get to Ka'ala and go down on North Shore side to try something different!

This hike is the truth. I took two liters of water and ran out halfway through. The sites are stunning! You are in for extensive inclines and rocks to climb over. All this while on sheer cliffs. i had an amazing time. I thought going down would be easier on my legs; haha, I was so wrong. I went alone and it took me 5hrs to complete. The botanical garden at the top is worth the hike.

Beautiful views and definitely a good workout. Would say bring a stick or something encountered a few hunting dogs that were a bit sketchy. But other than that be ready for some steep inclines and also where some shoes with grip it is a bit slippery once you hit the ridge and fence line at some points.

rock climbing

Ka‘ala Trail is an absolutely incredible experience, but not one for the faint of heart. Aspects of the trail become near vertical and two areas specifically require rock climbing with sheer drops to either side. The descent was considerably harder than the climb. Weather changes rapidly on Ka‘ala, and during our hike we ran into rainy conditions at the top, which conveniently is the absolute worst part to encounter rain. The trail became muddy and slick, but the addition of many ropes on the trail made it much safer. All 7 people in my group made it down without any major problems, but it was slow and hard on the knees. Don't get me wrong, the trail is very difficult, but also very, very rewarding. I live within view of Ka‘ala and I have gained a new appreciation for the mountain I see every day.

Do not underestimate how much water you need! I thought 4 liters would be enough, but I can out about 2/3s the way down. High quality hiking shoes, good gloves, and rain gear are also highly recommended.