Mount Kaala Trail

Mount Kaala Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

At more than 6 miles and 5,000ft of elevation gain it's one of the most difficult hikes on the O'ahu but it's worth the work to ascend to the highest point on the island. From certain points there are amazing views of the Waianae Valley and Coastline and of the North Shore.

Insane hike checks all the boxes

This was a great trail to hear the birds and be in the forest and nice. THERE IS A LOT OF THIS TRAIL UPHILL. Be prepared hahaha. But all in all good views and a nice time to be in nature

Difficult hike bit well worth the effort. Have done nearly every year I visit Oahu.

Don't even think of doing this hike alone, if you are doing it with others still don't do this under any circumstances!!! I cannot in good conscience recommend this to anyone.

Great trail. I somehow thought it would be a challenging run...not much running on the way up. However, good trail running shoes are fine. some of the ropes could use attention but overall in pretty good shape. It is a good 1.5 hours to the radar station and not much faster coming down when it's wet. Just have to get past the concrete road at the beginning...

Tough trail. The first 2/3 of the trail is a steep ascent that will test cardio. The next part involves climbing with ropes, some spots pretty tough. Towards the top, the elevation levels out and eventually you will walk across planks in the protected wetlands until you reach the end at the Air Force Radar Station. Only bad part is the never ending walk up the paved road after parking and before reaching the actual trail.

Thinking about doing this with my wife in a couple of weeks when we come here for vacation. Should we pack a pair of hiking boots or should our nike free running shoes be sufficient?

Awesome hike. Awesome views.

One of my favorite hikes on Oahu. Only thing I regret was that I waited until we were moving, so I only got to go once. It was a great hike, lots of incline, decent shade, boulders to climb over, an awesome board walk through the forest. I was cloudy so my view was not that great, but still a great hike!!

I marched up Ka'ala today in 1:15, just missed the clouds for some awesome views. Passed a few other hikers but it was very quiet. The path can be easy to miss in a few spots, keep an eye out. Only took me 47 minutes to descend and I was moving pretty quickly, if you're new out there, be careful and use the ropes. Enjoy!!

The hike was incredible, constant elevation no forgiveness but the views are worth it. As of January 17, 2017 all the ropes are in good condition. A good pair of hiking footware is recommended as it can be a bit slippery at times.