Mokoli'i Island Trail

Mokoli'i Island Trail is a 0.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

surfing

beach

cave

We kayaked out there and once we were at the peak we saw two monk seals off the north side of the island in the water. They chased around a sea turtle for a minute. I have seen birds in burrows around the island as well. It’s a scenic hike and getting to the island is half the fun. We caught waves on our way back.

Kayaked over to it (easy lazy). Scrambled to the top of Chinaman’s Hat. I took the front side approach to the top. There’s a trail that takes you to the top. Be prepared to do some scrambling all the way to the top. Definitely worth the short mini climb for the view of Oahu.

A must do on Oahu. We had many days of wind and rain but finally one day was calm enough to go out to the island. We took two inflatable SUP boards to the island and docked them on the Southwest side of the island where some boulders are visible. There appeared to be many paths available to the top. The trails start of with dirt (mud if it is or had be raining) trails and then turns to scrambling on rocks. The view from the top was amazing and fun perspective to look back and view the coast of Oahu. We were able to see several turtles in the water from the top. We didn’t have any issue with the waves going to the island or back to the mainland but follow general safety of using a leash with your SUP. Take a camera with you because you will want photos.

We all rented kayaks to get to Chinaman’s Hat. Super fun day! My 6 came with us and hiked up to the top too! We ate our lunch here and hung out for a bit. We could see a monk seal swimming around and a few turtles while we were at the top. Beautiful and perfect weather.

Amazing views! The UH Swim Team had their beach practice and swam around the island and hiked up. Loved the rock climbing / bouldering at the top. Did it barefoot but recommend some sort of shoes.

I have lived on the island for almost 2 years, and kayaking/hiking Chinaman's Hat is one of my top favorite activities. Park at Kualoa Regional Park and launch your kayak off from the beach there. To enter the island paddle all the way to the left, and then let the waves boomerang you back in to the rocky cove. You can bring your kayak up fairly easy from there.

There isn't really a clear trail to the summit, but your best bet may be to start at the front right side of the island. There is some light bouldering to pull yourself up to the top. This hike should be rated as moderate/hard rather than easy ... if you are a fairly experienced adventurer you should be fine. Enjoy the 360 view!

Awesome views!
Kayaked over to the island then climbed up. Did it in slippers, wish I had shoes because you literally were climbing. But we managed :)

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Really fun, love the bouldering, the trail to hike up to the top has a short area of grassy path which was annoying after kayaking to the island......206 feet to the top.....yeah!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Beautiful and fun hike But if your going to the top it is definitely not kid friendly. Involved some rock climbing that would not be safe at all for kids. If you go to the left there is a cool little beach area that is much better for kids to hike to.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

I have donr this hike about 6 times now! so great!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Hiked up in water shoes.... Amazing view

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Absolutely stunning view. A quick kayak paddle and then a short hike to the top. We did it in our flip flops without trouble.

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Great hike/swim/climb and experience. Easy to get out to it. Go around low tide. We walked but you could also snorkel, paddle board, kayak, swim etc. nice climb up with some slightly harrowing moments to get to the top. View is simply beautiful though and worth it.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Amazing! My favorite hike I have done on the island! People are really uneducated about doing this hike. We were coming back from the island and this group of kids were trying to cross without any boards, kayaks or floatations and it was almost high tide. I had a boogie board and I have 5' 3" and the water was waists high going out and chest deep on me coming back. I definitely recommend brings some kind of hiking or surf shoe because the way I went up was straight rock climbing. It was such a rush, I didn't want to come down from the top. It was fantastic. Just be sure to check the tides, give yourself plenty of time and go with friends because this hike is pretty difficult and if you slip and hurt yourself without anyone else around, you are kind of screwed.

Friday, May 08, 2015

After a quick climb amazing view!

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Well I can't say I ever hiked a trail underwater before...ya have to do this before you die, its that great of an experience. For me the water was belly button deep and I'm 5 foot 6" and the waves were no bad at all when I went. Always, great views from the top, but the best part is the little inlet of beach on the other side, it would be a great place for a first date (I think) and then if no one else is there you make out and roll in the sand in said hideaway.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

I give it 3 star for the overall experience , kayaking from the beach to the island and also Molii pond. Would I go back to this little island ? Most probably not.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Otherwise known as China Man's Hat, it is an iconic landmark in Hawaii. Although it may seem like it's a long way out it really it's that long of a paddle on a kayak, surfboard, SUP board, or swim there using a simple pair of fins and mask. Be mindful of the currents and the rising tide. Many have gotten into trouble with being swept off the shallow parts of the reef; ending in tragedy. If you have a sure feet and a strong upper body then you might chance climbing to the top of the Hat. Approach it from the Kaneohe side. Follow the dirt trail and scale the rocky face to the right. From the top the view of Kualoa is spectacular, as well as Kaneohe Bay. Caution: People have fallen from the top and seriously injured themselves. At the very rear of the island there is a small, narrow white sand beach to rest, park a kayak or play in the waves.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Mokoli'i Island is also knows as Chinaman's Hat. To get to the trail you have to cross approximately 400-500 yards of open ocean. The reef is only approximately a foot to a few feet below the waterline depending on tide conditions. Once you have crossed and landed either on foot or some sort of sea going device, there are a few trails that all lead to the top of the island. Some are "easier" than others but it takes less than 5 minutes to get to the top. The view Southward is of the Ko'olau range, to the South it is Kamehameha's Turtle and Kaneohe Bay, to the North and West is open ocean. The reef between the par and Mokoli'i Island is a Hammerhead Shark breeding ground so beware, however, every time I have been there there are tourists and locals snorkeling and spear fishing.

Sunday, April 16, 2017