Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

9 seconds ago

looking at going 2/20 if anybody is interested

Quite the extreme hike, not for the novice. Some extra items that are essential, gloves (all the ropes) and possibly appropriate Crampons for boots. Also, went thru 3 different water sources, so plan to hydrate. Lastly, met great people from Australia, New Zealand, and Stuggart, Germany-great conversay.

Anyone else hiking 2/18? gee704@gmail.com

Depending on the weather I'm planning to do this hike Wed 28th Feb, Thu 1st Mar or Fri 2nd Mar. If anyone is interested in joining me please email me at petersjennigns@gmail.com

Aloha! I do various guided hikes with photos on Oahu. I hike often/weekly. Hiked last weekend and I will be hiking this weekend and possibly during the week as well. Feel free to check out some examples of photos on my instagram @mike.karas. You can message me there or at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

Hi I’m 28 year old Solo traveller . I’ll be in Honolulu on the 15.2.18 until 19.2.18 and would really like to do this . Would anyone like to join ?? Pls say yes ! Haha . Pick a day .email me Cong.t123@hotmail.com

We are looking to hike, Wednesday morning 14th February and would like some company.

Looking to hike this in 2 weeks. Anyone has a guide other than the 3 typical bamboo forest routes or tips, please DM me. https://www.instagram.com/ah.lix.cee/ Thanks!

Hey all! My boyfriend and I are planning on doing this hike tomorrow (Sunday Feb 11)! Anyone interested in going tomorrow morning and hiking together?!? Contact via insta @giotarzanvanni or fb Giovanni Trujillo

Out and back in 4h 56m with 25 minutes spent at the top. 11.5 miles all up (from stepping out of the car) according to my Garmin Fenix. This was with a lot of jogging, however. Parking is plentiful on weekdays. All challenging sections have rope assistance. Don’t be too scared of the wind, just crouch when it gets howling. Absolutely worth it to time this hike after a day or two without rain at lower elevations because the trail will still receive some moisture. Challenging and rewarding hike and good way to spend a morning burning 2500cal.

Hello, I'll be in Oahu from Feb 22-27 and I am looking for a group that I can join to do the hike up and down the trail to reach the top of the Haiku stairs. I would also plan to hike back down the same way, since not technically supposed to be on the stairs. Please email dgustaw@hotmail.com if interested. Thanks you!

Nice trail. First hour of hike is boring - only dirt road, then it changes to interesting ang beautiful forrest with many stream crossings (30+) - this part also took us 1hour. Watch your head in this part ;-) Then steep muddy part started - where it took 30m to the top of the ridge. This part was not a problem with trekking poles. But we saw many ppl covered all in mud (without poles). So we did it to the top with view on Haiku valley in 2h30m, then we continued to the right on the ridge, which was pretty dangerous at parts and could really scare you. We did not make it to the haiku stairs, we ended on the big rock blocking steep section (better to have rope with you at this part (we did not) as it was vertical climbing upon unsafe ground), it was foggy and windy, so we decided to go back. Still we were able to see haiku valley clearly at some moments and it was really awesome! Would recommend this hike and not go illegaly haiku stairs.

One of the more crazy hikes I went on. CAUTION: check the weather! When I went up I got caught in rather big storm and we were up in rainy clouds nearly the entire climb and 75% of the descent. As a result the narrow ridges you mostly hike on where just mud streams flowing down. If you don’t have the proper shoes you just have ZERO grip! I would 100% recommend going for those metal chains you can put on your shoes. Because at times I had to crawl and really dig my fingers in the dirt to not slide down. But apart from that, the scenery is insane and I do not regret going on this hike!

I've done this hike a couple time and am looking to do it again this weekend.
I'm open to have anyone join me. Its a long hike and could be fun to meet some new people that enjoy hiking.
email me if your interestedin doing the hike.
zwanpreston@gmail.com

Awesome hike, worth every minute! The views are spectacular even along the middle Ridge , not just the summit. Bring lots of water, some crampons and maybe some gloves, also be prepared for very strong winds heading up towards the summit.

Out of all the hikes on Oahu, this one is my all time favorite. Not only is it long but the wild life, the forest, the trees just makes it so calming for me. And climbing the ridge is the time bomb to the top where I ascend to the stairway. Its such a beautiful experience to see both sides of the island. And a breathtaking view that just gives you the utmost respect that you shouldn’t take those kinds of things for granted! Its about 5 miles in and 5 miles out. A group of my friends and I ascended to the top in 4 hours and 4 hours back down. I suggest you wear good grip shoes and pack lots of water and food. And dont forget to bring a battey pack if you decide to take a lot of photos. Btw, no service until you get to the top. The valley blocks out the signal. Oh, one more thing, sunscreen and bug spray. ☺️

my boyfriend and i will be in Honolulu from Feb 10 to the 17th. looking to do this as well as a few others! message me if interested in meeting up! Facebook Autumn joy from nj and Instagram autumn_joy_smith

Top hike in my books (aside from backpacking Havasupai). Did this by myself as my friends questioned the legality of it all surrounding the stairway (I’m sure you all know what I am taking about). Turns out that it was life changing. This day started out raining, but my vacation was coming to an end so I had to do it. I would consider myself an experienced hiker so from the start I understood that this was going to be significantly more difficult than normal. Even though this hike was very muddy/slick (rain in morning), very windy at the higher elevations, and the fact that I had almost died a handful of times, this was very worth it. This was on my bucket list, and Im glad I wasn’t deterred. The views from this trail were surreal, and not to mention the stairway. The stairway itself was very well maintained, just steep. Rumors had it that all of the stairs are in rough shape but this was not the case. The cloud coverage that day allowed me to get some pictures of the stairs disappearing into the sky, a true stairway to heaven. I would recommend this to anyone with hiking experience, as this was difficult at times.

Hi everyone! i am planning to hike the trail tomorrow, on Monday! Anyone is doing it ? i would be happy to hike with someone else ! thank you !

This type of hike with this intensity was a first for me. approx. 7 miles (I did the stairs instead of going back the long way but I can't tell you that cause it's illegal