Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections.

The view was great. The trail is long, so expect to spend at least half day.

Amaaazing hike! Definetly worth it. It's quite challenging hike but with a few breaks it's fine. It was super hot that day, that's why we went down the Haiku Stairs instead of doing the loop.

Article with pictures is coming soon
--> www.2travelis2.live

Very easy.

Awesome Hike with beautiful views

If you're interested in this hike with a guide shoot me an email at venturealoha@gmail.com for info and rates and follow my IG @VentureAloha or www.venturealohahikes.com

Disclaimer: I hike quite often, love solitude and I love ass-kicking hikes.

That being said, this hike was incredible! I hiked it alone and only ran into about 20 people total, most of them were already at the Haiku Stairs.

Be sure to NOT take a left at the sign (about 2.7 miles into the hike) - unless you like trying to scale cliffs. Instead, walk 15 feet past the sign and take a left at the unmarked trial.

The second half of the trial can be a bit steep and slippery, so I'd recommend hiking boots and taking it slow. The ascent and decent took me a little less than five hours, excluding my breaks and the time I spent at the top.

I did the whole 10 miles, there and back, but most people started on the trail and went down Haiku Stairs.

The hike is definitely not easy, but it's certainly not impossible. Great workout!

Incredible hike. Bring gloves and lots of water!

Is it legal to use this trail to hike to the stairs, then hike down the stairs? Would love some insight on this: dhenney@utexas.edu

Definitely worth it!

best hike I've been on by far awesome views

Best hike on the island!!!! From one side of the island down the stairs to the other side!! 6-8 hours total hike time, and that's a slow pace, just relaxing and hiking!!! I recommend doing this hike on a very rainy day!!!! Get the full experience of this hike, and then do it on a nice clear sunny day to appreciate how hard it is

So I did this trail again to get to the back side of haiku stairs.. at 4.5km in, you can go left over the river ( there are signs) or go straight.. go straight ( if you want to get to the haiku stairs) it takes you up the ridge.. once on top you go left across the ridge till you hit the stairs... amazing trail , lots of fun, ropes to climb
If you need more info email me at dagham67@gmail.com

Pretty awesome trail.. did it in the pouring rain.. so views weren't good.. but lots of fun.. really muddy and easy to follow.. you can run about 80% of it.
It's 4km till your left turn where the single track fun starts.. and then it's not hard until the last .5 km
Also Strava says it was only 500 meters of climbing

I'll be on Oahu 3/2-3/14. I would love a hiking partner to tackle this climb. I live in Oregon and am a very experienced hiker. Please email me at trip8172@yahoo.com. :)