Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections.

Hello! I do hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out my Instagram Mike.Karas and shoot me a message if you have any questions/are interested in hiking. You can email me as well at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

Just amazing !

Anyone thinking of doing this may 20-21? Hit me up. Slappyho@nyc.rr.com

not a easy hike. be prepared for a long summit to the koolaus. you will need to bring adequate water. don't go after the rain since this trail can be very muddy and slippery.

Be careful when looking for the trail head. There's a brown sign that's the start of Kulana'ahane trail. That's not the right one. We tried TWICE in one day to do this hike and while we saw some ABSOLUTELY AMAZING landscape, we still didn't make it to the Haiku stairs. Just be very aware of what trail you're taking. It's easy to get turned around!! Happy hiking.

I have been researching hikes for my trip to Hawaii and this seems to be the one and only. For those who've hiked this trail before, i was wondering if you'd ever done an evening trek to see the sunrise at the peak of the Haiku Stairs. If so, would you be interested in heading this up in May. Fire me an email: winstonkyleung@gmail.com. Thanks!

I did this twice, once during tropical storm Darby and we turned around a little after the halfway rock when we saw a tree go down in front of us. The second time a few days later after the storm with the most amazing views, that photos couldn't even do it justice. I'm a very slow hiker, so it took about 10 hours round trip for me, bring lots of water and snacks!

Did this hike and still blown away by it. The trail was long but seeing everything around you is sooo worth it. A good pair of trail shoes helps. And lots of water. Once you reach the stairs, you'll be mindblown by the beauty that you might even forget to take a picture.

Aloha! I do hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out my Instagram Mike.Karas and shoot me a message if you have any questions/are interested in hiking. You can email me as well at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

The view was great. The trail is long, so expect to spend at least half day.

Amaaazing hike! Definetly worth it. It's quite challenging hike but with a few breaks it's fine. It was super hot that day, that's why we went down the Haiku Stairs instead of doing the loop.

Article with pictures is coming soon
--> www.2travelis2.live

Very easy.

Awesome Hike with beautiful views

If you're interested in this hike with a guide shoot me an email at venturealoha@gmail.com for info and rates and follow my IG @VentureAloha or www.venturealohahikes.com

Disclaimer: I hike quite often, love solitude and I love ass-kicking hikes.

That being said, this hike was incredible! I hiked it alone and only ran into about 20 people total, most of them were already at the Haiku Stairs.

Be sure to NOT take a left at the sign (about 2.7 miles into the hike) - unless you like trying to scale cliffs. Instead, walk 15 feet past the sign and take a left at the unmarked trial.

The second half of the trial can be a bit steep and slippery, so I'd recommend hiking boots and taking it slow. The ascent and decent took me a little less than five hours, excluding my breaks and the time I spent at the top.

I did the whole 10 miles, there and back, but most people started on the trail and went down Haiku Stairs.

The hike is definitely not easy, but it's certainly not impossible. Great workout!