Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

12 minutes ago

Super wet today, still made it up though. A little difficult getting down. Will definitely do it again next week.

Aloha! I do various guided hikes with photos on Oahu. I hike often/weekly. I hiked this past week and this weekend and will be hiking this week and next weekend as well. Feel free to check out some examples of photos on my instagram @mike.karas. You can message me there or at

I’ll climb the stairs again Sat, Mar 17th for the 233st time.

The most recent post on my Instagram @Hawaii_Mountain.Man.Matt will give you an idea for an impactful photo perspective.

4 things you should know about the hike:

(1) It is the safest way to reach that elevation on Oahu.

Over the last 70+ years, no one has ever died falling on the stairs*.

(2) There is a ton of trash at the top.

Bring a folded heavy-duty trash bag to help with that.

(3) No matter what, don’t go near homes!

Think: when is the last time you woke up at 3am and whispered: "Honey I think there's someone outside the house!"

Two people have recently been shot on the street by a high powered air rifle fired near the intersection of Kuneki and Makena. Both times the projectile broke the skin. That was wrong of the shooter, but also not surprising.

(4) The back way is more dangerous, but worth considering.

Near the base of the stairs, there is one unmarked Honolulu Police Department vehicle roaming to catch hikers.

After the November 12th escape of killer Randall Saito from the mental facility behind the neighborhood, security is on best behavior using off-road vehicles to apprehend hikers.

On a usual morning, a roving HPD officer, a stationary guard and two roving guards secure the area.

The penalty has some variables, but here are the components:

(1) $1,000 fine
(2) Jail, no longer than 6 months. (incarnation is rare)
(3) Legal fees (a defense attorney charges $800 - $1,500 for the case)
(4) Usually 80 hours of community service.
(5) Legal fees for expungement.
(6) Visa/Immigration hurdles
(7) Impact on professional life.
(8) Return travel and accommodations to attend court, community service, etc.

The setback ranges from $3,000 for simple cases, up into the hundreds of thousands over the length of a career for military members reduced in rank, folks who lose their security clearance or a professional license, etc.

Going up the front way, as amazing as it is, is not worth playing Russian roulette with the penalty, so don’t “just risk the ticket”.

Aloha! I do various guided hikes with photos on Oahu. I hike often/weekly. I hiked this past weekend and will be hiking Friday and this weekend. Feel free to check out some examples of photos on my instagram @mike.karas. You can message me there or at

Thank for the map!

Best hike ever

my wife and i plan to hike the Haiku stairs next week (3/12-16/2018). It will be the first time for us. I have read lots of reviews and comments and have done some research but i am sure it will be a lot more to find out once we are there. Please give us any last minute tips and advises. Appreciate.
My email address is

I am looking to do this hike on April 30th. This is most likely to be the hardest hike I have ever done. I would love to have my wife with me but she isn’t sure if she can do it. ¿Is it really that hard? Can anyone share a video of what the hardest part looks like? Pm email:

Long and tough one...but so worth it! The most beautiful hike I have taken, by far! Recommend brining either chacos or water proof boots because you walk through quite a few streams during the beginning. Then strap on spikes are highly recommended for the strenuous climbing towards the end.

I love this trail, it keeps you on your toes!

I did this yesterday with Sophia Hy. The hike itself was amazing. The day was supposed to be cloudy most of the day but it has been raining for weeks. The steep sections were super muddy and ropes were also covered in mud and slippery. This was definitely not for amateurs. We pass at least 6 people going back down that turned around due to the conditions. We made it to the top with a navy guy we met on the way up and also met 2 guys from new zealand on the way down that had completed it. 3 teenagers from Argentina were so freaked out they said they were going to go down the stairs and face the fine rather go back the way they came. It certainly can be treacherous when it rains. We had rain about half way up and most of the way back. I've never been so muddy or wet. Definitely worth it though.

Looking to do this hike between 2/27 and 3/9.
Anyone out there interest???

would love some more info on this hike

Last minute but looking to do this tomorrow 02.26.18. I’m hoping the rain lightens up. If interested feel free to email me @

Solo traveller ! Missed my chance to do this hike ! But will be free on 27.2.18 . Forecast is windy ! No rain ! My last opportunity ! Pls email me at if anyone wants to do it !! Hope to hear from you guys !

I’d love to conquer this trail among others. My family and I will be visiting Oahu for the first time next month (March 17-24) from Florida. If anyone would be interested in me piggybacking on their trail day I’d love to join you. my family have other interests and won’t be hiking with me. And while I’m not afraid to go it solo, always better with others. Feel free to message me if you have some time for a hike. Thanks! Shea 251-401-4711

What an amazing hike! Definitely keep an eye out for weather as it can get muddy and slippery. Make sure you take gloves for the varies ropes going up and down and get your hand on spikes for your shoes, they will come in handy in dry or wet dirt. The view is breathtaking and worth the trek up. I went along the back way which took us 9hrs up and down. Best to get local directions or a guide for this one unless you have done your research well on how to get in and out from the back way in. All in all.. I flew all the way from Australia to do this and it was well worth it!

want to go on the 28th of february if anyone wants to come with me :)
email: or instagram sophiaa_vip

looking at going 2/20 if anybody is interested

Quite the extreme hike, not for the novice. Some extra items that are essential, gloves (all the ropes) and possibly appropriate Crampons for boots. Also, went thru 3 different water sources, so plan to hydrate. Lastly, met great people from Australia, New Zealand, and Stuggart, Germany-great conversay.

Anyone else hiking 2/18?

Depending on the weather I'm planning to do this hike Wed 28th Feb, Thu 1st Mar or Fri 2nd Mar. If anyone is interested in joining me please email me at

Hi I’m 28 year old Solo traveller . I’ll be in Honolulu on the 15.2.18 until 19.2.18 and would really like to do this . Would anyone like to join ?? Pls say yes ! Haha . Pick a day .email me

We are looking to hike, Wednesday morning 14th February and would like some company.

Looking to hike this in 2 weeks. Anyone has a guide other than the 3 typical bamboo forest routes or tips, please DM me. Thanks!

Hey all! My boyfriend and I are planning on doing this hike tomorrow (Sunday Feb 11)! Anyone interested in going tomorrow morning and hiking together?!? Contact via insta @giotarzanvanni or fb Giovanni Trujillo

Out and back in 4h 56m with 25 minutes spent at the top. 11.5 miles all up (from stepping out of the car) according to my Garmin Fenix. This was with a lot of jogging, however. Parking is plentiful on weekdays. All challenging sections have rope assistance. Don’t be too scared of the wind, just crouch when it gets howling. Absolutely worth it to time this hike after a day or two without rain at lower elevations because the trail will still receive some moisture. Challenging and rewarding hike and good way to spend a morning burning 2500cal.

Hello, I'll be in Oahu from Feb 22-27 and I am looking for a group that I can join to do the hike up and down the trail to reach the top of the Haiku stairs. I would also plan to hike back down the same way, since not technically supposed to be on the stairs. Please email if interested. Thanks you!

Nice trail. First hour of hike is boring - only dirt road, then it changes to interesting ang beautiful forrest with many stream crossings (30+) - this part also took us 1hour. Watch your head in this part ;-) Then steep muddy part started - where it took 30m to the top of the ridge. This part was not a problem with trekking poles. But we saw many ppl covered all in mud (without poles). So we did it to the top with view on Haiku valley in 2h30m, then we continued to the right on the ridge, which was pretty dangerous at parts and could really scare you. We did not make it to the haiku stairs, we ended on the big rock blocking steep section (better to have rope with you at this part (we did not) as it was vertical climbing upon unsafe ground), it was foggy and windy, so we decided to go back. Still we were able to see haiku valley clearly at some moments and it was really awesome! Would recommend this hike and not go illegaly haiku stairs.