Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

2 minutes ago

You follow these directions, you will end up at a waterfall. Cool, no doubt, but not what you are going on this hike for. I brought my 2 female friends with me on this hike today and ended up having to blaze new trails up and around sheer cliffs, all the while trying to keep my people from dying.

Just did this. One of the hardest trails I’ve done compared to Three Peaks or Ka’au crater. Crampons HIGHLY recommended. Easy to find the trail head, Moana Lua Park, walk straight till you see signs for Stairs. About 3 miles in is where Middle Ridge starts.

I will be in Oahu 11/18-11/22, really want to do this trail to Haiku Stairs. Please contact me via Facebook, You Qing Lin

who down to go next week? hit me up!
IG 8464ppem

Looking to do this hike if anyone is interested in tagging along! I’ve never done it but really want to do it. Instagram is leilani_montez

Went by myself on a Saturday at 0510 with a local hassling me for being there which wasn't a good start. After around 15 minutes no cell/internet service until I made it to the top. Started later than I planned and hustled to the top but just missed sunrise at 0632. Incredible views near the top of both sides and fog rolled in which made it kind of cool but no incredible views of Kailua other than right after sunrise. Made some friends at the top from other countries and helped one get back with me versus going down and meeting security. I don't normally bring water but it's a must on this and a dry shirt to change into. Spent about five hours total as I took my time at the top and a moderate pace coming back.

Anyone who wants some company on this crazy hike, let me know! I’m currently jobless since I just moved to the island. Would love to meet likeminded individuals that love to hike. Find me on Instagram and message me @clevhike.

Not bad at all. Had great weather. Honestly this trail is much easier than some make it seem. Granted there are 2 ways up other than stairway to heaven (unreal Hawaii.com route vs trails.com route). Never did I feel this trail was sketch however the other trail unrealhawaii looks sketchy. With rain the trail would be more challenging but not too dangerous if your careful. Route we took seemed to only have a few spots where falling could send you down a cliff, but this never was a concern. Overall great hike, amazing views, and not too challenging.

Good hike but very scary if you have a fear of heights. I did this hike in very bad weather with my 4 friends and we thought we were going to die, if you want to do this hike make sure you check the weather and only do it if it’s clear and a super nice day