Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Please also avoid going through neighborhoods as residents in the area are tired of being disturbed by hikers at all hours of the day and night. Stay in natural areas rather than neighborhoods and you will have a more beautiful hike and help the trail stay open for others to experience.

Super hard but work it

Easy shouldn't even be a word included in the description. Here's a word that should take its place. Erosion. From what I understand it's gotten popular to go this way to avoid the fines for the stairs. This trail is not maintained by the state or any other organization- wish it was. When you get about 20 minutes to the stairs it is unbelievably sketchy. Especially when it's raining or drizzling. (Which it almost always is on this side of the island). Huge let down.

If you do go wear gloves and spikes on your shoes.

Fucking awesome. BRING GLOVES!!! Also always be prepared...went from sunny to pouring down rain as we were heading back down the ridge, scariest moment of my life! Rubber hiking gloves might have saved my life coming down those ropes in a downpour. You *can take the first sign to the left once you're at the end of the valley, just hook a right as soon as you cross the dip. otherwise the other trail is about 20 feet further from the sign, should start to incline right away don't cross the stream! Also some of the ropes are beat so don't 100% rely on that alone! Besides the nightmarish hike down it only took about 3 hours to the stairs and would do again! Look for my name in gold on the dish ;) Any questions feel free to dm my insta @ kgnarli

If you've never been on this hike before I recommend going with someone who has bc the path is extremely overgrown going through Moanalua valley and barely even looks like a trail at all and some people might just turn around thinking they are not on the right path. But if you stick with it and get to the ropes going up the mountain you know you've made it and from there on the hike is awesome! Great views. I didn't have gloves and I was completely fine and I just had regular hiking boots and it poured down rain on me for an hour and I didn't have trouble getting up the mountain, just be careful and take your time when it's wet like that and you'll be fine.

I have done tho hike a few times and love it! Although we don't go to the very end with my kids (7,11,13,16). It's a long walk but the boys were exhausted! My chihuahua loves the hike as well. Caution the wild pigs!

Great trail! Definitely tough, but totally worth it!
Left at 7:30 and got to the top by 11. Definitely need gloves and good hiking shoes.

Somewhat challenging but totally worth it!! Now on to taller and colder peaks!!

Wow! This trail is extremely difficult, approaching don't even try if your not in shape. There are a couple of spots that can mess with your mind. The distance on my recorder at the top was just over 6 miles. Multiple false peaks! The ropes definitely come in handy in some of the spots. Absolutely recommend but it is an intense hike. We went up and back this route, did not take the stairs back down.

Aloha! I do a lot of hikes and photos out here on the island. Feel free to check out my Instagram Mike.Karas and shoot me a message if you have any questions/are interested in hiking. You can email me as well at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

Ooops... I got to the sign and crossed the stream instead going straight and making a left, which is probably why the trail eventually turned into the stream... Pretty miserable wet and slippery, but if I do it again, now having read the tips, it seems like quite a nice hike. Anyone hike the marker 12 trail on the right about a mile in?

Anyone going to haiku stairs this Saturday the 27th? Been wanting to go since I moved here but everyone who I ask is to chicken or just lazy. I know where the area is but need to go with someone who has already gone so I don't get lost. Let me know if anyone is game....

Took us 5 1/2 hours to get to the top because we had to wait an hour for a large group of army people to come down one section near the top. After having to wait an hour for them to all come down, I literally went up that section in less than 1 min and was pissed!
Even when I asked if they could hold up so we could go up real quick they ignored me.
So anyone doing this in a large group please have the curtesy to step aside and let a smaller group go past you to climb up especially if you are gonna take 7+ minutes per person to climb down and there's 15 of you...
When we finally reached the top it was 2:30... we started at 9am!
The hike was rough and we were exhausted and hurting so much that we decided to just say fuck it and take the risk of going down the stairs and get a ride back to our cars on the other side. Nothing on the stairs was going to scare us after the hike up..

**Pretty sure Dan from a few reviews down was our trail buddy for most the hike. We were very sad to watch you guys turn back so close to the end. It got a little muddier but we managed just fine without having to pull out the spikes. Hopefully one day you will try again to reach the stairs!