Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

Great hike lots of amazing views !

Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail, don't mix this up with the Valley Trail. For most, this will be a very difficult day. You will get muddy even on a dry day. Like, full body muddy, not just on the tips of your toes. The last 2 miles is where the hike really begins.

It's a steep relentless incline, often muddy and slippery. For more advanced Hawaii hikers, I'd call this an intermediate hike. For reference, I hike Kaau Crater in 4.5hrs. This takes me 7:30 - 8+ hours on a good day. Giving myself 30-45min at the top to go down the stairs a little ways take pics, eat.

What to bring:

-2L water MINIMUM. Know yourself and what you need, and bring more than that. Personally, I like to have 2L + a 32oz sports drink. For reference, I'm 5'11" 165, and sweat kind of a lot when I'm hiking.

-Good shoes. Not runners, not tennis, etc. shoes meant for hiking. Hiking sandals are ok IF you're experienced hiking in muddy slippery conditions in them. If your shoes suck, well.. you're gonna be slippin' and sliding, hopefully not over the edge. ;)

-Food.

-Rain jacket/windbreaker . Not a must, but if it's raining, and windy, which it often is.. it'll probably suck without one.

-Headlamp. If the weather goes bad on you, you could get stuck for a while. Have some light. Or not. Just don't call emergency rescue. They're busy handling real situations.

-Dogs, babies, on this trail? Why would you do that??

Notes about the trail as of October 2017.
-I went on a dry day and to my amazement, there were zero stream crossings along the 3 miles of road. Each time I've gone before there were many. Lucky day I guess.

-Several existing ropes are anchored to small trees that are very close to being uprooted. Next time I go I may remove them before it happens - or someone else do it, please, if you come across them. You are doing the trees and everyone else a favor.

-Someone has anchored some large poles for rope along the trail. What a bummer. But I can see why they would.
@niiimz_

I am a solo adventurer for the most part but tomorrow I’d like to change that. If you are down to go tomorrow at O’Dark Stupid please add me on Instagram @kenny4764 and direct message me for details.

Anyone wanting to do a trail run (not hike), please let me know. esrolo@yahoo.com (10-14min pace)

looking for people around waikiki to hike together, email : eddie0202@yahoo.com

i wanna take this trail on 10th of Oct. Its my birthday and I will fly from Maui to Honolulu with the earliest flight, 6:45 and If I can get an uber/taxi easily , i will start walking around 7:30. My appx plan is arriving to haiku stairs before 2pm. I hope this is realistic :) Anyway, I need to secure time to go back and catch my flight at 9:45. Anyone wants to join ? or any advice.. evrimsel@gmail.com

My husband and I tried it this hike this morning and got totally lost (ugh). Took the wrong trail. If someone would please post a recent picture of which path to go once you hit the "state of Hawaii" sign that would be great! Also anyone wanting to hike it next Saturday is welcome to join!

hoping to do this hike sometime this weekend. two 20ish year old brothers from nyc. anyone wanna join? email salemhoff@gmail.com

doing the hike on the 28th at 3pm - email me to join - louishouiller@outlook.com

We want to do this hike this week. We're a group of 3 folks in our 20's! Anyone down?

E-mail jasonsoldout@gmail.com

Started our hike at 4:30am and were stopped by one of the locals who happened to be awake and outside telling us that we shouldn't be doing the hike until the trail opens at 7am. We politely told him that we were still going to do the hike, walked away and were told that he was going to call the police. We did not have any trouble locating the right trail going up to Haiku Stairs even in the dark. Beautiful views of the mountains all the way around! We ran into some groups who went through the woods and up the stairs. Also ran into a solo hiker who started at 3am and got lost in the woods and eventually found his way and got to the top after more than 4 hours. He decided to hike back down with us because he didn't want to risk being caught going back down the stairs as he's got a flight to catch. It took us a little over 3 hours to get there. We stayed for about an hour to enjoy the view and really soak it in as this is one of the hikes in my wife's bucket list. The hike took us about 7 hours in total. Also seen a couple of kids with their parents up there so as long as you are careful, this hike shouldn't only be for advanced hikers but also for adventurers!