Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven)

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Please also avoid going through neighborhoods as residents in the area are tired of being disturbed by hikers at all hours of the day and night. Stay in natural areas rather than neighborhoods and you will have a more beautiful hike and help the trail stay open for others to experience.

4 minutes ago

Ooops... I got to the sign and crossed the stream instead going straight and making a left, which is probably why the trail eventually turned into the stream... Pretty miserable wet and slippery, but if I do it again, now having read the tips, it seems like quite a nice hike. Anyone hike the marker 12 trail on the right about a mile in?

Anyone going to haiku stairs this Saturday the 27th? Been wanting to go since I moved here but everyone who I ask is to chicken or just lazy. I know where the area is but need to go with someone who has already gone so I don't get lost. Let me know if anyone is game....

Took us 5 1/2 hours to get to the top because we had to wait an hour for a large group of army people to come down one section near the top. After having to wait an hour for them to all come down, I literally went up that section in less than 1 min and was pissed!
Even when I asked if they could hold up so we could go up real quick they ignored me.
So anyone doing this in a large group please have the curtesy to step aside and let a smaller group go past you to climb up especially if you are gonna take 7+ minutes per person to climb down and there's 15 of you...
When we finally reached the top it was 2:30... we started at 9am!
The hike was rough and we were exhausted and hurting so much that we decided to just say fuck it and take the risk of going down the stairs and get a ride back to our cars on the other side. Nothing on the stairs was going to scare us after the hike up..

**Pretty sure Dan from a few reviews down was our trail buddy for most the hike. We were very sad to watch you guys turn back so close to the end. It got a little muddier but we managed just fine without having to pull out the spikes. Hopefully one day you will try again to reach the stairs!

Anyone doing this trail 3rd weekend of june? Email me. Fernandez_ian@yahoo.com

Awesome trail, but come prepared, it is technically challenging in the last mile and gloves and spikes are essential especially if this gets wet or rainy. Trail narrows on ridge to sheer drops on both sides and there is a steep final portion with a sheer ascent and decent by rope that ultimately we turned back from in slick running shoes. Our new trail buddies pressed on to the vista. Plan for 4 hours up and about 2-3 hours down. Amazing views.

If you're interested in hiking Shoot an email over to venturealoha@gmail.com

Amazing views, Ohia lehua trees, and access to the summit of Stairway to Heaven. I wouldn't recommend doing this if it's raining, which is what I did the first time hiking it. The trail is slippery and muddy and going down the ropes is scary. Be careful on this trail. Gloves will be your friend.

Loved it

Not for the faint of heart. The ridge line is crazy open and it got super windy. I'm not ashamed to admit that I turned back when I freaked out. My fearless best friend had no trouble and would have gone on.

Somebody wants to join me on this hike on sunday ..May... 14th?

Great Hike! Bring some sun protection as the first 2 miles are primarily exposed and not under canopy.

Once you hike about 2.5 miles, you will come across a Flash Flood sign. Go past the sign about 30 feet, then take a left. If not, the trail will eventually lead back into the normal route, but you will come across steep drop offs and thick jungle.

Best trail ever!! Better views from this side vs. just up and down the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven). Hiking boots came in handy for the muddy areas.