Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail

Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail begins at the end of Moanalua Valley at Moanalua Valley Park. The trail starts as a road barred by a green gate. The road eventually turns to an unimproved road and later a narrow trail. The trail to the top of the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) is also on this trail approximately 2 miles past the trailhead

To find the plane wreckage, you have to take the Kulana’ahane State Trail. It starts roughly at the 2.5 mile mark from the start at Moanalua Valley Road.
Check out Kulana’ahane Trail and dont mix up this trail with Moanalua Middle Ridge to Haiku Stairs. The Kulana’ahane Trail crosses the Moanalua stream roughly 30 times. Expect to get muddy and wet.

unless you plan on doing the stairway, the trail kind of ends lackluster. Be prepared for lots of mud after a mile and a half. Good hike though. Fresh air.

Great for Beginners and people looking for a nice trail for fellowship.

Lots of mud and shade. Will be back to look for the Plane Wreckage.

There are no surprises on this one. Wide trail easy hiking and will take you to the base of Kulana'ahane to H-3 Summit Saddle. A little slick when wet but overall a nice easy walk.

11/10/2018-Started around 0800 and came across 4 groups of hikers (total of about 16 people). We managed to find a stall in the parking lot and finally got to see the streams after a good rain! So awesome! It was drizzling most of the time and only came down a little harder for a few minutes of our trek out.

so much fun with the family. my 3 year old loved this hike.

Trail was super muddy today. The first 2 miles were fairly easy, past there lots of water to cross, lots of mud. We weren’t able to complete the last half mile, it was too muddy and super slick so we turned around there. So only 5 miles round trip today but what an adventure!

a lot of shaded area but very rocky and will get your shoes and socks completely wet. not to worry though, on a sunny day, shoes dry up fairly quickly. good to bring a hydroflask full of water and sunscreen too.

Love this trail! Took my two littles with me. Lots of water crossings and mud. There’s even some ruins along the way!

Just an easy breezy walk. Plenty of shade and pretty trees to look at. Great place for children to walk and get out.

6/17/2018-Started around 0700 and encountered 23 groups/solo hikers. (Most of them we’re on their way in while we were on our way out.) The path has been improved in some sections since the last time we hiked out here (new concrete was poured) and overall weather was good. (Albeit not sunny, but overcast with a breeze.) There were a few semi-muddy sections but those were easy to navigate.

Interesting valley hike, don't miss the ruins on the left going in and all the great cultural signage, pics added.

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Middle Ridge was a little rough for a beginner but the rest of the path was fairly easy. There was no clear sign that the trail had ended so we followed a pig trail then decided to turn back.

Middle Ridge had a beautiful view. Definitely worth it.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

They are putting in a new roadway/pathway into the valley, just starting on the front end of the roadway. Looks good, would be easier to walk on.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

10/7/2017-Started around 0730 and encountered 17 groups/solo hikers (most of them were on the way back though). Weather was cooler than the last time and we ventured to the fire place and swimming pool. Ground was a little muddy but not enough rain to have running streams under the bridges. Lots of ginger in bloom so parts of the trail smelled wonderful!

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Definitely the work out I didn't anticipate for.

Friday, September 15, 2017

this was okay I was looking for more of a walk less of a hike. this certainly fit the bill. wanted to go to the very end and I think I was pretty close but it ended up being a total bushwhacking event. it seems that the very end of this particular Trail is not much traveled so everything was very overgrown I did Venture into it for a little while and then it became monotonous so I turned around. I think this would be great if you have very young children that you want to introduce two hiking also good for folks like me who really were looking for more of a walk nothing spectacular in terms of scenery. however there were a number of plants and trees to admire.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Took my 2 year old and 5 year old on the first 1.5-2 miles of this trail. Super kid friendly, only worry will be the bridges. Lots of mud so super fun and slippery.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

7/9/2017-Started around 0730 and encountered 21 groups/solo hikers in the 2.5 hours it took to complete the hike. Weather was pretty good (partly sunny with breeze) and views are nice. Seeing the petroglyphs on the rock was neat. However, the end of the trail is very overgrown so we probably won't travel as far on the next visit.

Friday, July 07, 2017

A nice trek through a stream lined valley that boasts a large variety of plants/trees/wildlife, several bridges, petroglyphs on a giant boulder adjacent the stream, sidebar trails to home/estate ruins, informational kiosks along the way explaining what you're walking past and a couple of streams that may require fording during the wet season. If you're familiar with the story behind The Descendants and The Damon Family Estate then you'll feel a connection to their land along this trek as you can explore the stone home ruins on one of the side trails along the way. You can learn more about the trail here: www.explorationhawaii.com/2013/12/26/a-walk-back-in-time-on-the-kamananui-valley-road/ and learn more about the historical markers you'll see along the trail here (I recommend that you read them before the hike as it will save a lot of time while you're underway) www.kiapolo.com/2012/02/damon-estates-moanalua-valley-february.html We've hiked this trail numerous times--twice on rainy days with lots of mud which required fording fast moving streams and other times when it was totally dry. We've hiked the trail by itself and on other treks have used it to link to the Tripler Ridge Trail and/or the Middle Ridge Trail. The valley trail is perfect for families as it doesn't have significant change in elevation and even younger children could handle it given good weather conditions but I wouldn't recommend taking younger hikers up the side trails toward Tripler Ridge or Middle Ridge as they quickly become very difficult and in many sections quite dangerous trails.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Peaceful, but no waterfall.......????

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Long trail but fun. Hiking boots didn't work well on the slick rocks. There was a mile plus of tall (3ft or more) grass, use bug repellant!!

Monday, May 01, 2017

Great for families/kids. My children loved checking out the old hidden home site, playing in the water at the bridges, and checking out the petroglyphs on the rock at the seventh bridge. We turned around at the seventh bridge.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Relatively easy hike. Seen many families with kids and dogs. A bit rocky, so watch your step and make sure you have decent shoes on for ankle support. Best to go when it's recently rained and there is actually water in the stream and under the bridges!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Loved hiking this trail with my three kids. We did all seven bridges before my four year old got tired and wanted to turn around.

Friday, March 10, 2017

So mostly I use this trail as a connector to a much longer trail but I really love it it. Lush vegetation, beautiful broad leaves and alongside a stream. The ruins are pretty neat off off to the left and the bridges look like they are out of fairy tales. Mostly shaded with lots of fruit trees along the way. Super muddy most the time, as with many trails here and lots of mosquitos. I bring my dog and my kiddo out here a lot , it's beautiful. Be careful when rain moves in this can be a flash flood area as the water rises fast :0