Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail

Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The trail begins at the end of Moanalua Valley at Moanalua Valley Park. The trail starts as a road barred by a green gate. The road eventually turns to an unimproved road and later a narrow trail. The trail to the top of the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) is also on this trail approximately 2 miles past the trailhead

They are putting in a new roadway/pathway into the valley, just starting on the front end of the roadway. Looks good, would be easier to walk on.

Definitely the work out I didn't anticipate for.

this was okay I was looking for more of a walk less of a hike. this certainly fit the bill. wanted to go to the very end and I think I was pretty close but it ended up being a total bushwhacking event. it seems that the very end of this particular Trail is not much traveled so everything was very overgrown I did Venture into it for a little while and then it became monotonous so I turned around. I think this would be great if you have very young children that you want to introduce two hiking also good for folks like me who really were looking for more of a walk nothing spectacular in terms of scenery. however there were a number of plants and trees to admire.

Took my 2 year old and 5 year old on the first 1.5-2 miles of this trail. Super kid friendly, only worry will be the bridges. Lots of mud so super fun and slippery.

A nice trek through a stream lined valley that boasts a large variety of plants/trees/wildlife, several bridges, petroglyphs on a giant boulder adjacent the stream, sidebar trails to home/estate ruins, informational kiosks along the way explaining what you're walking past and a couple of streams that may require fording during the wet season. If you're familiar with the story behind The Descendants and The Damon Family Estate then you'll feel a connection to their land along this trek as you can explore the stone home ruins on one of the side trails along the way. You can learn more about the trail here: www.explorationhawaii.com/2013/12/26/a-walk-back-in-time-on-the-kamananui-valley-road/ and learn more about the historical markers you'll see along the trail here (I recommend that you read them before the hike as it will save a lot of time while you're underway) www.kiapolo.com/2012/02/damon-estates-moanalua-valley-february.html We've hiked this trail numerous times--twice on rainy days with lots of mud which required fording fast moving streams and other times when it was totally dry. We've hiked the trail by itself and on other treks have used it to link to the Tripler Ridge Trail and/or the Middle Ridge Trail. The valley trail is perfect for families as it doesn't have significant change in elevation and even younger children could handle it given good weather conditions but I wouldn't recommend taking younger hikers up the side trails toward Tripler Ridge or Middle Ridge as they quickly become very difficult and in many sections quite dangerous trails.

Peaceful, but no waterfall.......????

Long trail but fun. Hiking boots didn't work well on the slick rocks. There was a mile plus of tall (3ft or more) grass, use bug repellant!!

Great for families/kids. My children loved checking out the old hidden home site, playing in the water at the bridges, and checking out the petroglyphs on the rock at the seventh bridge. We turned around at the seventh bridge.

Relatively easy hike. Seen many families with kids and dogs. A bit rocky, so watch your step and make sure you have decent shoes on for ankle support. Best to go when it's recently rained and there is actually water in the stream and under the bridges!

Loved hiking this trail with my three kids. We did all seven bridges before my four year old got tired and wanted to turn around.

So mostly I use this trail as a connector to a much longer trail but I really love it it. Lush vegetation, beautiful broad leaves and alongside a stream. The ruins are pretty neat off off to the left and the bridges look like they are out of fairy tales. Mostly shaded with lots of fruit trees along the way. Super muddy most the time, as with many trails here and lots of mosquitos. I bring my dog and my kiddo out here a lot , it's beautiful. Be careful when rain moves in this can be a flash flood area as the water rises fast :0

Great with kids. Fun bridges.
Only went 1.5 miles in though

Monday, January 09, 2017

Good for an Easy trail. Muddy after first 2 miles but mostly flat. Good for dogs and kids. Great after the holidays to get back into shape.

Sunday, January 08, 2017

A bit muddy but the awesome views made it worth it! It was my first hike ever, not difficult at all.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Muddy but fun!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Nice trail for running, it is very well maintained for about 2 miles. The last mile before the turnaround point is hard to run quickly (downed branches, mud) especially when it is wet. About a half mile before the top you can break off to a different trail that eventually leads to the back end of the stairway to heaven(do not try unless heavily experienced). A beautiful little valley.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Nice shaded running trail.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Good distance! Beautiful scenery, valley trail. Crap ton of mosquitos in the beginning. Fun bridge/stream crossings and muddy af on some parts. Lush vegetation and easy!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Good hike. Easy for my 4year old and me, baby wearing a 1 year old. Very muddy and lots of mosquitoes around mile 3. Lots of fun.