Mau'umae Trail

Mau'umae Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Definitely a moderate hike vice hard. A few overgrown areas but everything is well marked and tracked out

Great hike, very well marked and roped. Great views and nice to have ups and downs rather than all uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back. Thanks to everyone who suggested wearing pants!

Great trail for being right behind waikiki. Tons of sun exposure so be sure to protect yourself. Took 2 1/2 hours to summit and it's one that will burn the buns. Really enjoyed the views of kaau crater and the other side of the island. Very rewarding to finish. Don't forget long pants and socks because you'll get torn up on the last mile. Yes it's muddier near the top. Enjoy! I'll do this one again for sure!

It was a very nice hike, didn't really get hard until the sun was out and in full effect, wear pants!

Loved this hike! Beautiful views the entire hike and constant up and down. I logged almost 7 miles. Took us just under 6 hours round trip. Wear tall socks to protect your legs as the brush is pretty thick closer to the end. Take your time on the narrow spots and bring plenty of water!

LOVED this Trail! Great views along the way. Gets very narrow at the end. Take your time and you will be fine. Also, would recommend going very early, there is no shade. Bring lots of sunscreen and water. Totally worth it!

watch out for ferns wear high socks or hiking pants or ferns will scratch you up path is a bit over grown amazing views challenging hike great resistance

Decent trail. Wear long pants. The ferns will cut up your legs. Usually takes me about half the time to hike back.

No one was joking about the ferns. If you have calf sleeves make sure to wear them.... maybe they will help. Maybe an old pair that you don't mind getting frayed a bit? Was able to run the majority of the trail minus a few steep inclines, declines, and the ferns really scratched up my shins. I guess I didn't want if bad enough because I walked a lot of that fern part and it still scratched me. I'm the weird kinda ultrarunner who isn't a masochist. The views were awesome.

Great trail.. I wouldn't say it should be classified as hard tho.. no big climbs, just up and down most of the day.. a bit over grown but still a good path to follow

Nice trail. Easy to follow.

Wear long pants or at least bring them. In December be prepared for mud.
The first 1.5 or even maybe 2 miles was excellent. Lots of fun, a couple challenges that didn't necessarily require the ropes but the ropes definitely added a measure of safety.

We did this hike starting around 10am and I am doubtful we'd have made it out and back in anything under 6 hours. Probably closer to 8. We turned back at about 2.5 miles. By that time the mud and the thorny ferns made the hike not fun. It wasn't even hiking the last 3/4 mile before we called it. It was just walking up and down hills through mud and thorns. But then maybe I'm just a weenie