Mau'umae Trail

Mau'umae Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

watch out for ferns wear high socks or hiking pants or ferns will scratch you up path is a bit over grown amazing views challenging hike great resistance

Decent trail. Wear long pants. The ferns will cut up your legs. Usually takes me about half the time to hike back.

No one was joking about the ferns. If you have calf sleeves make sure to wear them.... maybe they will help. Maybe an old pair that you don't mind getting frayed a bit? Was able to run the majority of the trail minus a few steep inclines, declines, and the ferns really scratched up my shins. I guess I didn't want if bad enough because I walked a lot of that fern part and it still scratched me. I'm the weird kinda ultrarunner who isn't a masochist. The views were awesome.

Great trail.. I wouldn't say it should be classified as hard tho.. no big climbs, just up and down most of the day.. a bit over grown but still a good path to follow

Nice trail. Easy to follow.

Wear long pants or at least bring them. In December be prepared for mud.
The first 1.5 or even maybe 2 miles was excellent. Lots of fun, a couple challenges that didn't necessarily require the ropes but the ropes definitely added a measure of safety.

We did this hike starting around 10am and I am doubtful we'd have made it out and back in anything under 6 hours. Probably closer to 8. We turned back at about 2.5 miles. By that time the mud and the thorny ferns made the hike not fun. It wasn't even hiking the last 3/4 mile before we called it. It was just walking up and down hills through mud and thorns. But then maybe I'm just a weenie

Pretty nice view, but very muddy. I don't think it's 6,6 mile there and back. Maybe like a bird fly... We needed 3l of water. It's definetly worth it to go up :-)

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Probably my favourite hike on Oahu so far
Amazing views the whole hike
Sketchy when raining, soft land

Friday, May 06, 2016

Great trail, we climbed it yesterday and only saw 1 other person on it. It is pretty long with some decent climbs, bring lots of water because it gets hot up there. Spectacular views on a secluded trail, I'm rating it 5 stars and it is well deserved .

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Monday, April 11, 2016

An amazing, exposed and ungraded ridge hike, with phenomenal views of Diamond Head, Ka'au Crater, a waterfall, Honolulu, and the surrounding valleys. I would highly recommend starting early (to avoid the sun as there is limited overhead cover along the trail), check the forecast (avoiding heavy clouds/rain in the Ko'Olau Range), and wear long pants (as the uluhe ferns overrun the latter half of the trail).