EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Maunawili Falls Trail

Maunawili Falls Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail begins in a residential area. Please be mindful of residents, be quiet, and park legally. There are no bathrooms or other facilities at the trailhead. Please use the restroom before you come and pack out all trash. The rainforest in this area sees a lot of visitors, so it is important to minimize your impact in every way you can. A nice hike through the jungle to great view of Kailua, Maunawilli Falls, and a swimming hole. Maunawili Trail contours the base of the Koolau Mountain Range on the windward side. It begins off the Pali Highway and ends in Waimanalo. It offers spectacular views of the windward side of Oahu, Olomana, and the Koolaupoko watershed. Vegetation along the trail includes mountain apple, rose apple, ti, naupaka, mamake, lobelia, koa and ohia. Maunawili Trail is a good family trail. There are three access points for this trail. The Maunawilli Falls Trail is a great hike in Kailua along the river that eventually stops at a beautiful waterfall with a great swimming hole below. Many people like to jump from the waterfall into the pool below, and some with a bit more courage even climb higher to the side of the waterfall to jump further (try at your own risk). The trail is often muddy, especially after rains, and you will cross the river several times along the trail. About half way through the hike you will break out of the trees for some nice views of the surrounding mountains and views towards Kailua in the distance.

Great fun! Lots of physical activity. Not too hard, but the mud makes it more challenging. The falls are beautiful! Make sure you take a swim, you won’t regret it!!

I loved going on this hike, it was really fun! It is although extremely muddy so be prepared. Once you get up to the falls it's awesome, was able to jump off the waterfall. Highly recommend this hike. Keep it real

Definitely not a trail I would do again. Way too much mud and it didn’t wow me at the end to the falls. I hiked it with my two boys (7 and 9) ... do not recommend. The beginning of the trail was very misleading. We went all the way up the road first to find out that was private property. Came back down to the handwritten sign to the waterfall. We started the trail around 330pm and didn’t make it back out until after 7pm in the dark. Don’t recommend starting it so late especially if you have never been before. Wear old shoes you want to throw away. Fell many times throughout the trail because it was so slippery. If you chose to do this one, be careful. This should not be categorized as Moderate and I would never take a dog like the review says dog friendly.

Amazing views at certain points. BRING WATER SHOES! Very very very muddy and slippery trail. A lot of roots and rocks in the ground so you must balance yourself the whole way. But once you get to the waterfall you can swim in the water or even jump off a cliff next to the waterfall. The water is deep enough to jump of a 30ft cliff to the right or a 50ft cliff if you’re brave enough. I recommend wearing old clothes because you might fall a few times and get them muddy. I calculated about 4.2mile hike. Took our group about 3 hours.

Did anyone say muddy yet? Muddy the whole way, but well worth it to jump into the pool at the bottom of the waterfall!

This is an easy or moderate hike based on if you are hiking on a rainy day or not. It gets too slippery if it is raining and if you do not have the right shoes you might fall. Falling would be bad because the ground is full of rocks and roots. Other than that it is a gorgeous hike and my personal favorite among the ones I have done here. The vegetation is dense and rich. If you go after 2:30, you might have the fall to yourself for a little while. Also the trail is not well marked. You will be crossing the water few times get ready for it.

parked the neighborhood. please respect the area. Uber muddy trail. stay left on the Y. follow the river towards the end. today the water was 15' deep , measured with a long branch

We expected mud, but man, it was MUDDY! The reward at the end was well worth it. My 12 year old jumped off of the larger cliff while my 6 year old jumped off of the waterfall. Bring at least a change of shoes and water to wash off with at the car. Took five of us about 1.5 hours going out, 1 hour at the falls, 1.5 coming back, with frequent stops.

Like all the other reviews said, be prepared to get muddy. It was very slippery in some areas, so be careful. It took us just under 3 hours out and back at a leisurely pace. It is a well traveled trail so expect to pass people in both directions. Cross the stream at least four times. Beautiful hike. Well worth the mud.

This trail is moderate with a few tough spots (mud everywhere, stairs and crossing the stream) but give yourself enough time and hike with the right equipment (shoes you don't care will get messy, towel, water shoes, etc..) and this trail is super enjoyable! We weren't sure of what to expect, we knew there was going to be mud but it truly delivered!! Be prepared with an extra pair of shoes and a garbage bag for the old ones to toss in your car. The waterfall was quite nice, be sure to climb up so that you can see the falls above the 1st set. So much fun on this trail as it really made you appreciate every part of the jungle. Totally recommend jumping off the cliff but at your own risk as it is really dangerous considering you have to scale the side of the cliff to jump off of it.

This was such a fun hike, but a little longer than we were expecting! All four of us were baby-wearing our littles. We loved the falls at the end and jumped in the falls at the end. Crawl up the waterfall and see the waterfall at the top!

Nice hike. Muddy. Great swimming under the waterfall.

Enjoyed the waterfall and jumping in. We got to the waterfall around 10:30 and it was a bit crowded. As people have mentioned, it was muddy, but with the streams to cross, you can kind of wash off. Very pretty hike. We enjoyed the views along the way.

Fun, muddy hike. I recommend going early morning to avoid crowds.

VERY muddy trail and very slippery at times so be prepared to get dirty. Definitely wear shoes with good grip, no sandals. Waterfall/swimming hole is worth it- very cold but very refreshing! Not too hard of a hike but the mud definitely slows you down, bring towels for the end

Fun hike, very muddy.

It is the muddiest trail I have done. Take good grippy shoes, not flip flops! And be prepared to not care about your shoes. There is a section at the end where you have to walk up the river.
Also there is a bacteria warning sign at the entrance but we talked to some locals and they say the water is alright and they go all the time

Absolutely Beautiful forest, but extreme mud on top of slippery tree roots made it difficult to thoroughly enjoy. Falls was small but ok.

Hiked 12.21 - incredibly muddy. Waterfall is pretty but nothing special. Could be a much nicer hike if not as muddy

Definitely the muddiest hike we have done here. But it has the coolest little swimming and waterfall ending. Be sure to crawl up the falls area a bit to see a second smaller falls and pool. Will do again during the dry season.

A little disappointed that I couldn’t end this trail...
I was on my own and got too scared to get lost or fall without anyone except bugs to notice !
But the trail as far as I went is amazing. Requires lots of balance (muddy and really slippery) and flexibility. Cross the river many times. will try again if I ever come back, and not on my own this time :)

my dog and i love this trail. i would say it’s on the easy side of moderate, but with factors like mud and changes in terrain keeping you on your toes. it’s perfect if you want a quick and very entertaining jaunt without getting too exhausted. the jungle vibe is amazing on this trail — just stunning. i love it.

Beautiful muddy couple hours