Maunawili Falls Trail

Maunawili Falls Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice hike through the jungle to great view of Kailua, Maunawilli Falls, and a swimming hole. Maunawili Trail contours the base of the Koolau Mountain Range on the windward side. It begins off the Pali Highway and ends in Waimanalo. It offers spectacular views of the windward side of Oahu, Olomana, and the Koolaupoko watershed. Vegetation along the trail includes mountain apple, rose apple, ti, naupaka, mamake, lobelia, koa and ohia. Maunawili Trail is a good family trail. There are three access points for this trail. The Maunawilli Falls Trail is a great hike in Kailua along the river that eventually stops at a beautiful waterfall with a great swimming hole below. Many people like to jump from the waterfall into the pool below, and some with a bit more courage even climb higher to the side of the waterfall to jump further (try at your own risk). The trail is often muddy, especially after rains, and you will cross the river several times along the trail. About half way through the hike you will break out of the trees for some nice views of the surrounding mountains and views towards Kailua in the distance.

11 minutes ago

Not a difficult trail at all. It is muddy be prepared to get wet and dirty.

Amazing waterfall you can jump into! Suuuuper muddy though

I wouldn't necessarily say this hike was hard, more moderate. My husband, 5 year old twin boys, and I did it while it was pouring down rain. Yes, there are some steep parts and it was especially muddy that day but it was not "hard". My only complaint was that being that it was our first time doing the hike, we were unfamiliar with it and the signs that were pictured are no longer there. (Or it was raining so hard we didn't see them!) Once we got on the trail we saw other hikers so we knew we were in the right path.

Expect to cross the creek, or in our case river, at least two or three times. At one point we had to carry the boys because it was so deep. But that was the adventure of it all! They LOVED the mud!!! The falls were magnificent!!! We will most definitely be going back in a few weeks!!! (With better rain gear)

If it wasn't raining we would definitely have needed bug repellent...you are deep in the woods. Just a thought. We had a sweet lady come up to us when we left asking about the trail...this is not recommended for those with walkers or physical handicaps that require wheelchairs as it is not paved. Dogs, however, would love it!

One of my favorite hikes on the island. It took my boyfriend and I about 2 hours to get to the falls but we were also walking pretty slow, especially when we got to the mud. There's a part where you have to cross the stream. Don't try to save your shoes. It's gonna get muddy either way throughout the hike and/or you'll probably fall in the water trying to keep your shoes dry anyways. Bring lots of water and mosquito repellent!

Amazing trail, great views, started raining when we got back into the waterfall was absolutely stunning, however got very muddy and slick in the rain.

Beautiful hike. My favorite so far. Yes muddy, but not dangerous; just have to go a bit slower. In the extremely muddy spots it's pretty easy to go alongside the trails in the wooded areas and save some time trying to avoid giant mud puddles. If you would like to skip the worst root jumping/mud puddles avoid the first stream crossing where the sign is and keep to the left. Follow the grass path and cross the stream when you reach the big log laid over, this will take you right to the stairs without the eroded root area. Great hike for dogs with experience with water experience!

It's muddy but to be expected because this trail is in the heart of jungle area, we all wore tennis shoes. After you go past the gate there is 3 blue agricultural signs, turn right there. The hike itself takes 2 hours there and back.

So it was crazy muddy, slippery, and uneven. Way longer than 3 miles. It took 4 hours with my 5 yr old round trip and she was doing well the whole trail. the water and falls was good. stairs up and down on the hike plus roots slippery rock etc. plan to get your shoes wet because you cross the stream 3 times at least and end the trail walking through it. I wouldn't bring a child on this hike.

We went when it was muddy and it rained for a while, but so worth it! The waterfall was full because of the rain. Also agree with the moderate rating for babywearing- not too bad but a few parts take your breath away! I hiked with a 30lb two year old.