Maunalaha Trail

Maunalaha Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from The intersection of Nehoa and Makiki Streets in Honolulu: Proceed mauka and turn left on Makiki Heights Drive. Continue for approximately 0.5 mile until the road makes a sharp left turn (look for a row of mailboxes on the right side of the road). Proceed straight ahead past the mailboxes through a green gate. There is a sign that says, Makiki Forest Recreation Area. Proceed mauka, past the Nature Center until you encounter the Forestry and Wildlife baseyard. Hiker parking is in the lot to the right of the baseyard.

Got followed by a guy with a knife at the bottom of this trail. If we'd noticed him a little further along, we'd have been in trouble. Don't hike here if there are a bunch of cars hanging out by the trailhead.

I loved this quick three miler. It was a pretty decent ascent to get the blood flowing and then a moderate descent through the jungle and bamboo, with the big reveal a valley covered in vines. It smelt wonderful with all the flowers. Definitely all the warnings about if it rains it gets slick, but the locals don't seem to care and we even had Miss Hawaii blast by us on the trail. I'd like to go back and explore a little more.

Nice trail. Our 4 year old did it, but it was a bit of a push for them because of distance. Go left to start the trail, you'll still get great cardio. If you go right you'll get an even tougher cardio workout!

The hiker parking is a short walk away from the start of the loop trail.

Great for dogs. I went to the right and it's just straight uphill until you get to the Makiki Valley loop. It felt a lot longer than 0.7 mi, but once you're at the top it's a smooth ride down for the rest of the trail (total 2.5 mi if you just do the loop). My 9 year old Aussie struggled a little going up, next time I'd probably start by going left as it's a gradual trek uphill. If you have an energetic dog definitely go right! You'll tire them out after less than a mile and it's a great workout for you. I can't remember the names of the trails but you'll know what I mean.

Informational stops along the way allowed a reasons for a break. Lol. Multiple routes to go on. Completed just the regular Makiki Valley Trail. (04157)

What a fun trail! Hard uphill and your shoes will get wet, make sure you have bug spray and an idea of your route!

Was a really good hike. Has parking and it's well maintained. I would put this as moderate level because when it rains which is often there, it gets very slippery and about 2 miles of the hike is up hill. So it's a good workout. We enjoyed and had my daughter on my back (baby carrier).