Maunalaha Trail

Maunalaha Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from The intersection of Nehoa and Makiki Streets in Honolulu: Proceed mauka and turn left on Makiki Heights Drive. Continue for approximately 0.5 mile until the road makes a sharp left turn (look for a row of mailboxes on the right side of the road). Proceed straight ahead past the mailboxes through a green gate. There is a sign that says, Makiki Forest Recreation Area. Proceed mauka, past the Nature Center until you encounter the Forestry and Wildlife baseyard. Hiker parking is in the lot to the right of the baseyard.

24 minutes ago

Tired of the monotony of getting dirty and having near death experiences trying to reach some jaw dropping view? This peaceful and beautiful walk through the woods can help break that up. Sadly there was not as much garbage to pick up as I'm used to, until detouring over to the 'Ualaka'a loop, where people seem to find it a more suitable environment to leave their trash behind. Say hello to the cats and chickens living in harmony in the parking lot.

Great hike! Definitely agree with some of the reviewers that rec. to go right to start with the steep uphill climb. At the top before going down definitely rec. to take the Moleka Trail. It’s a great out and back trail through a bamboo forest.

A good view or two but not great

Go right. Easier to go uphill steeply then downhill.

Good work out. Brought our 7 month old dog and he seemed to love it. If you take the right side maunalaha trail, you will ascend up faster and be at the top in no time. Once at the top then its all downhill. If you want to ascend up slowly then take the left side to Kanealole trail. Its a loop that connects to other trails. Makiki valley trail is very shaded and beautiful. Bring some bug spray.

Not much of a view and lots of ants, but good variety in terrain and lightly trafficked

Got followed by a guy with a knife at the bottom of this trail. If we'd noticed him a little further along, we'd have been in trouble. Don't hike here if there are a bunch of cars hanging out by the trailhead.

I loved this quick three miler. It was a pretty decent ascent to get the blood flowing and then a moderate descent through the jungle and bamboo, with the big reveal a valley covered in vines. It smelt wonderful with all the flowers. Definitely all the warnings about if it rains it gets slick, but the locals don't seem to care and we even had Miss Hawaii blast by us on the trail. I'd like to go back and explore a little more.

Nice trail. Our 4 year old did it, but it was a bit of a push for them because of distance. Go left to start the trail, you'll still get great cardio. If you go right you'll get an even tougher cardio workout!

The hiker parking is a short walk away from the start of the loop trail.

Great for dogs. I went to the right and it's just straight uphill until you get to the Makiki Valley loop. It felt a lot longer than 0.7 mi, but once you're at the top it's a smooth ride down for the rest of the trail (total 2.5 mi if you just do the loop). My 9 year old Aussie struggled a little going up, next time I'd probably start by going left as it's a gradual trek uphill. If you have an energetic dog definitely go right! You'll tire them out after less than a mile and it's a great workout for you. I can't remember the names of the trails but you'll know what I mean.

Informational stops along the way allowed a reasons for a break. Lol. Multiple routes to go on. Completed just the regular Makiki Valley Trail. (04157)

What a fun trail! Hard uphill and your shoes will get wet, make sure you have bug spray and an idea of your route!

Was a really good hike. Has parking and it's well maintained. I would put this as moderate level because when it rains which is often there, it gets very slippery and about 2 miles of the hike is up hill. So it's a good workout. We enjoyed and had my daughter on my back (baby carrier).

Well maintained trail with varied terrain...but get there early because lot full by 9am and there was even a tour bus. Bathroom water facilities. Stray cat pots in parking lot.

Also known as Makiki Valley Loop Trail, this is a very pleasant climb/descent around a beautiful valley and stream. a little muddy and you might need some insect repellent depending on what time of year you're visiting.

If you're walking up the loop from this trail, is worth noting many locals jokingly call it "nature's stair-master."

A bit steep, but easy.

Friday, February 24, 2017

I liked the trail and would do it again. It is closer to moderate than the easy rating on the AllTrails app. (I am mid 50s) 1000' elevation gain and some steep uneven parts of the trail. The loop trail consists of three different trails. I took a picture of the map where the trail splits.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Great hike. Good for kids, shady, nice stream along the way. Pretty steep in a few places.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Cool scenery but no great views. Fun hike.

Monday, January 09, 2017

great hike

Sunday, December 11, 2016

If you attempt to complete the loop counter clockwise, I hope you have some muscular thighs. LOTS of steps.

Monday, November 07, 2016

keeps you active.. not too much of views

Monday, October 03, 2016

Great hike with amazing views. Definitely was muddy and the slick rocks must be respected. The water falls are spectacular. Recommend going counterclockwise for most enjoyable experience. Suspect this will be a repeat hike for years.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Super fun and good to keep active!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Harder than the 'easy' rating suggests. Yes I'm older but my knees are yelling at me this evening. The downward muddy, leg-pounding journey left my wife and I aching for a hot tub. Glad we did it though.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great family trail! Can be muddy if it's been raining. Parking is easy just get out before sunset. Busy on the weekends and can be in early AM too. Good for skilled trail runner but can be really dangerous at times.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Well maintained trail

Saturday, July 02, 2016

It was perfect for my 3 year old! Fun versatile trail with a lot of tree roots to use for footing.