Mauna Kea-Humu'ula Trail

Mauna Kea-Humu'ula Trail is a 11.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kamuela, Hawaii that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until December.

Hike the highest mountain in Hawaii (in the world, measured from the sea floor), and enjoy views to Moana Loa and to the ocean as well as other islands. This is not a casual hike - come prepared with all the water, calories, and essential items a high-altitude experience demands. Park at the visitor center, self-register anytime, then join the trail a few hundred feet up the road on the left. Six miles of uphill trail with few switchbacks, consisting of loose cinder and rough lava, lay ahead. You will likely be alone - plan for self-reliance. Just below 13,000 feet the trail joins a paved portion of the service road, which, mostly unlaced below, provides a longer but suitable route back.

Brutal, 5.5 mile trek (one way) up nearly 5,000 feet in elevation. The terrain is that of what you would expect to find on the moon. What makes this trek more challenging than other 14,000 foot hikes I’ve done in Colorado is that you drive from sea level to 9,000 feet in less then an 1.5 hours giving yourself very little acclimatization time. That said, the altitude didn’t bother me however it did have an affect on one of the members in our party. I highly suggest this hike. I’d suggest a good pair of boots, gators and sun gear. I had on a lightweight Patagonia base layer which was perfect.

Made it to the top!!! YEAH!!!
Mother nature was on my side but be prepared, the weather changes quickly and can be dangerous.
Also, do not underestimate the effect altitude can have on your body. My girlfriend and I have the same fitness level (marathon runners) and she had to stop because of altitude sickness.
Arrive early, take time to acclimate to altitude, bring lots of water and food and stay at the visitors center for stargazing.

Amazing run

In early June, my wife, sister, her boyfriend and myself tried to tackle Mauna Kea, and came up a little short. We thoroughly enjoyed the hike, the amazing views and remarkable landscape! I wrote a lengthy blog review about our experience. It can be read below:

I would certainly try it again, if I ever make it back to Kona...

Tuesday June 13th I'm hitting it around 6:00 am if anyone wants to join. You can DM me on insta @ernienoh if one wants to coordinate.

Wear solid boots to deal with loose dirt/sand/rock trails. Altitude gain is noticeable. Actual summit is closed off but a comparable elevation can be achieved on the observatory road. Took me and my friend 5 hours from visitor center parking lot to summit and then 3 hours to get back down.

We were told the temperature at the top could be cold (even snow) but the weather was great and got away with long pants and long sleeves

Looking for fellow dayhikers who want to start at dawn sometime between June 10 and 13th.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

This is by far the hardest climb I have ever done! Definitely noticed the altitude, but still very worthwhile.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Hiked in April as part of preparing for Peru in May. Temps were in the upper 40s so we just wore long sleeve shirts which was just right. The initial trail has a lot of loose cinder that feels like hiking uphill in sand. Had some minor altitude symptoms the first time so we used Advil prior to the second time which helped. Wogging down in cinder leads to stops to empty shoes. Looking forward to Peru.

Saturday, March 12, 2016