Makuala O'Oma Trail

Makuala O'Oma Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kailua Kona, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Moderate shady hill forest trails. Many to pick from.

Beautiful hike through forest. Path is narrow with lots of roots so a hiking stick was very helpful. We somehow missed a portion of the main trail and ended up on a lava service road. we were able to find our way back but ended up going almost 3 miles.

nice trail and scenic view of forest

Remote and very tropical.

Cute easy little trail. Minimal views though.

Beautiful hike. We actually went straight from the start downhill and missed the official trail. Ended up being a down and back beautiful walk. Steep coming back up.

Using Google Earth I was able to identify a larger network of trails surrounding the 1.4 loop described here... got over an hour of super runnable trail in before I had to get back to town... but I could have probably run quite a bit farther if I had the time. will definitely come back to explore more, as the trail itself is GORGEOUS!!