Makaua Falls Trail

Makaua Falls Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kaaawa, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

A short hike to a hidden waterfall at the back of Makaua Valley, Oahu. Best to go after a good downpour as the chute ( 250 feet) is always dry. There are 2-3 rope sections to get to the base of the tallest chute.

Alright hike. Cool little river bottom. It is really about 2 miles to the rope ladder at the end by the falls. It was dry so no water fall. Bring your bug spray.

I love it for the views but would never recommend doing it, if it is too wet and or raining. It's a rather hard hike in that case. The waterfall was not worth the last part of it since it was wet.

I went on a Saturday and it was perfect. It had rained about 2-3 days ago and there was still plenty of water coming down the mountain. This trail definitely isn't for beginners and it is for those who seek adventure. I can see how people have broken bones on this trail because climbing up the ropes is pretty difficult when all the rocks are slippery. Put bug spray on before you go and expect your shoes to get wet.

Fun and relaxing hike. Stay close to the stream and you won't get lost.

Not my favorite but a nice little trek

there should be a sign at the fork. We went to do this hike but because we followed the pink marker flags, we ended up on the Pu'u Manamana trail. That was an awesome hike but one trail is expected to be wet while the other should not be done in poor conditions. When we went it was raining lightly and eventually had to turn around because it was getting unsafe. If we had landed on the Makaua trail, I think we would have been fine. Just know, don't follow the marker flags and you should end up on this trail.

We did not like this trail. It is very dry right now and a ton of bugs. I was told in order to see the falls we should try again in September or October.

Very slippery but a fun adventure, not crowded at all

Great hike if your looking for something quick but beautiful!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday, May 15, 2016

ghjn

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Awesome hike! The best part doesn't even begin until after the rope grotto.

We warmed up by taking the split in the trail at the cross which good up to the ridge and pillbox. The 30 minute up and back detour was definitely worth it, some of the best views for the difficulty.

Back on the trail to the falls, we decided to stay in the creek bed instead of following the trail since it zigzags quite a bit.

Please be careful, it is very slippery and isn't a good idea after heavy rainfall. Also, I had to treat someone for a concussion and dislocated shoulder after falling in the grotto.

The part after the rope is for experienced hikers only, but rewards those who make it with the best view of the hike.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Went a day after rainfall, figured it'd be more than trickle at least in the falls.. Got past all the lighter falls coming N down the sides, etc, then to the one that you need to rope up. But it was flowing way too hard to even try! If that falls can only be roped up when it's dry wouldn't that mean the large falls at the end would also be dry? I'm confused. Either way. It was a quick, pretty, secluded, fun, rock jumping trail. and I saw a wild boar!