Makapuu Lookout to Tom Tom [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Makapuu Lookout to Tom Tom [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waimanalo, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

private property

Trail is kind of hard to find, but just head up and you'll find it at the top of the first ridge. It can be difficult coming down in the dark, so watch your time... One technical item to note: when you reach the private property/utility building, the trail follows the southern edge of the fence and is very over grown. Be careful of rusted fences! You can do this as a one way, but will need two cars for this hike. Prior to beginning this hike it's ideal to park a car in Waimanalo. Use the other car to drive to the trailhead near the Makapuu Lookout. One of the best hikes on the island of Oahu as far as scenery is concerned. The hike is long, dry and hilly.

Definitely one of my top favorites...

One of the best hikes on Oahu hands down, the views are spectacular! Just be aware to go early to avoid law enforcement at the trailhead and also to get the jump on the sun! It gets super hot up there very quickly and there is no shade! Sunscreen and water a must.

I loved this trail. Fantastic views of the islands and beach, could even see sharks swimming in the sea life park. Good workout 3.5 hours up and back inc lunch at the top.

Makapu’u

I did a one-way hike today. Had planned on going to the Makapu’u puka hole and back, but when I finally got there I realized I was relatively close to the ridge with “Lovers Leap,” so I decided to combine them and kill two trails in one. I made up to the upper ridge and all the antennas, got to see a guy set up his hang glider (I always wondered how they got there gear up the hill- they drove!) that’s where I came across the group from Switzerland who had walked up the fire road.

As a bonus, I got an easy trek down on a fire road vice the sketchy goat trails I would have had to go back on in the hot sun. Thanks to Lyft I made it back to my car safe and sound.

Boy are there a lot of no hikers and no trespassing signs now....

I love this one. It is not hard trail with beautiful views.

This trail like Koko Head arch to the top of Koko Head is very hot! Dry dry dry so please bring water! Some in our group ran out of water and almost didn’t make it to the Puka. The Puka looks like Pali Puka, Just different view. I’ve never been past the Puka but it seems that you can continue on.
Decent hike with great views!

We started the hike but we were called down by a police officer and given a stern warning. This trail is definitely on their radars, so hike at your own risk.

Hiked only until the puka. It was challenging for me, some steep areas. The view is spectacular though, worth the heat, rocks & thorns. Use pants or you'll get your legs cut up. Go early as it gets HOT.

It can get hot, especially when dropping below the ridge and having to climb up sun-baked rocks, but the view of the water up to the puka is outstanding and the gusts off the ridge are energizing. Nice mix of ups and downs.

Spectacular coastal ridge hike! Overgrown in many areas but well worth it

If you do this hike in full, it is NOT intermediate. It is advanced. While there are sections of trail that are relatively flat and well marked along the ridges, many sections are precariously marked right along the cliff edge.

I hiked with two other very fit hikers on our first time doing the trail. We hiked one direction from the Makapuu lighthouse parking area to the residential area output; we took a few photo and snack breaks and hit very strong winds and rain with a third of the trail left, but it took us about 7 hours to complete. Recommend setting up a car shuttle so as to not need to hike back (you're really not going to want to make this an out and back).

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Amazing hike make it all the way to the puka it's worth it

Monday, February 13, 2017

really beautiful. easy walking uphill. paved. lots of families.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Awesome awesome scenic view.. just a couple things:

If you are mildly scared of heights you will be good due to you can stay off the cliff trail almost the whole way. (But cliff trail is awesome)

If you are terrified of heights don't do this hike

Bring sunblock and fully charged phone for a lot of pics.

I parked at the lighthouse parking lot and walked up the road until you see the trail veer left up the hill with an immediate do not hike sign. Just by pass and either traverse up the hill or go straight up which ever you prefer, just stay close to the Ridgeline and you will see the trail once you get up to the top of the first hill.

Enjoy :)

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great view of sea life park

Friday, May 13, 2016

Took the kamilo iki ridge up to meet up with Tom Tom and took it all the way to makapu'u. Some parts of this trail are definitely super sketchy. Very steep rock climbing on the edge of hundred feet drops at parts. It's not constantly like that but enough to probably make people turn around at parts. Super fun though imo lol.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

This is a illegal hike , suggest you should NOT go hiking up this trail lady died falling 500 feet.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Woman fell to her death from this trail today. Be careful too many people losing there lives on Oahu hiking where they shouldn't

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Amazing views. It took us about 5 hours total because we took two long breaks. We started at the lookout and made it to the big summit before it heads down on the Tom Tom trail towards Waimanalo. There's some rock climbing. The summits look steeper than they actually feel. It's a solid intermediate and doable if you're fit. Start early, it gets hot with no trees. Wear good shoes. The pointy rocks are tough.