Makapuu Lookout to Tom Tom [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Makapuu Lookout to Tom Tom [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waimanalo, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

private property

Trail is kind of hard to find, but just head up and you'll find it at the top of the first ridge. It can be difficult coming down in the dark, so watch your time... One technical item to note: when you reach the private property/utility building, the trail follows the southern edge of the fence and is very over grown. Be careful of rusted fences! You can do this as a one way, but will need two cars for this hike. Prior to beginning this hike it's ideal to park a car in Waimanalo. Use the other car to drive to the trailhead near the Makapuu Lookout. One of the best hikes on the island of Oahu as far as scenery is concerned. The hike is long, dry and hilly.

Absolutely beautiful trail with stunning views of the city, islands, lighthouse, and sea life park. I did the entire hike one-way and loved the challenge of all the ups and downs but it was certainly difficult. Be prepared for lots of verticals FOR REAL, and I would recommend wearing long pants since the trail is very overgrown in a lot of areas. There were so many neat photo opportunities as stated by the other reviews like the hang gliding spots. I got lost a couple times from the main trail, but didn’t mind because I’d always find my way back and I’d discover little hidden treasures along the way. There’s also quite a change of scenery if you hike the whole way with peaceful pine forests and some beautiful small wildflower fields.

Would definitely recommend, just pack plenty of water and have a buddy since there were some very steep drop offs (which probably could have been avoided, but where’s the fun in that?). Also the neighborhood you end up in is a little sketchy so be aware of that. Oh and there was a cop in the lighthouse parking lot too when I went but he didn’t say anything (didn’t necessarily notice me though either).

We left in early morning to hike the trail from Makapu'u to Waimanalo. We the best intentions and are in great shape, but dude this trail is KILLER! The views are neck-breakingly fantastic and you are constantly stopping for pictures, so it makes it a lot longer than planned. We made it about a mile past the puka, ran out of water and had to turn around. Dang it was hot!!! When you are on the ridge it's much better cause of the breeze. When I do it again I'm taking a large hydration pack. Saw some goats on the cliff. That was cool.

We started out from the Makapuu parking lot where people park to hike Makapuu trail. As I parked I noticed a police officer sitting in a SUV in the Makapuu Lookout parking lot. They were parked as we ascended the trail and were still there when we returned but did not say anything to us. The trail is as described in others reviews. Follow the fence up the hill. A short way up there is a gate in the fence go through it and follow up. You will see the trail from here. The first 15 minutes were ascending, If you are not used to a steep incline you may find it tiring. The biggest challenge we found with the trail was it is over grown because of all the rain we had lately. In some areas it was totally over grown and was difficult to follow but thanks to GPS on Alltrails we were able to stay on track. It was not too difficult as the trail follows the ridge. It took us approximately 1 hour and 15 or 20 minutes to reach the Puka. It was immediately after we went down the ridge and back up again. This is as far as we went. The ocean views are outstanding. We live in the islands and believe these are some of the most beautiful views there are. I would recommend wearing leg coverings on this hike. There is a lot of brush you will pass through and some of it is thorny. Bring lots of water, there is little cover and lots of sun on this trail.

Puka was pretty small but the views are magnificent! Stayed by the ridge the whole time. started at the right side of the fence coming from the Makapu'u Lookout parking lot.

Definitely one of my top favorites...

One of the best hikes on Oahu hands down, the views are spectacular! Just be aware to go early to avoid law enforcement at the trailhead and also to get the jump on the sun! It gets super hot up there very quickly and there is no shade! Sunscreen and water a must.

I loved this trail. Fantastic views of the islands and beach, could even see sharks swimming in the sea life park. Good workout 3.5 hours up and back inc lunch at the top.

Makapu’u

I did a one-way hike today. Had planned on going to the Makapu’u puka hole and back, but when I finally got there I realized I was relatively close to the ridge with “Lovers Leap,” so I decided to combine them and kill two trails in one. I made up to the upper ridge and all the antennas, got to see a guy set up his hang glider (I always wondered how they got there gear up the hill- they drove!) that’s where I came across the group from Switzerland who had walked up the fire road.

As a bonus, I got an easy trek down on a fire road vice the sketchy goat trails I would have had to go back on in the hot sun. Thanks to Lyft I made it back to my car safe and sound.

Boy are there a lot of no hikers and no trespassing signs now....

I love this one. It is not hard trail with beautiful views.

This trail like Koko Head arch to the top of Koko Head is very hot! Dry dry dry so please bring water! Some in our group ran out of water and almost didn’t make it to the Puka. The Puka looks like Pali Puka, Just different view. I’ve never been past the Puka but it seems that you can continue on.
Decent hike with great views!

We started the hike but we were called down by a police officer and given a stern warning. This trail is definitely on their radars, so hike at your own risk.

Hiked only until the puka. It was challenging for me, some steep areas. The view is spectacular though, worth the heat, rocks & thorns. Use pants or you'll get your legs cut up. Go early as it gets HOT.

It can get hot, especially when dropping below the ridge and having to climb up sun-baked rocks, but the view of the water up to the puka is outstanding and the gusts off the ridge are energizing. Nice mix of ups and downs.

Spectacular coastal ridge hike! Overgrown in many areas but well worth it

Saturday, April 29, 2017

If you do this hike in full, it is NOT intermediate. It is advanced. While there are sections of trail that are relatively flat and well marked along the ridges, many sections are precariously marked right along the cliff edge.

I hiked with two other very fit hikers on our first time doing the trail. We hiked one direction from the Makapuu lighthouse parking area to the residential area output; we took a few photo and snack breaks and hit very strong winds and rain with a third of the trail left, but it took us about 7 hours to complete. Recommend setting up a car shuttle so as to not need to hike back (you're really not going to want to make this an out and back).

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Amazing hike make it all the way to the puka it's worth it

Monday, February 13, 2017

really beautiful. easy walking uphill. paved. lots of families.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Awesome awesome scenic view.. just a couple things:

If you are mildly scared of heights you will be good due to you can stay off the cliff trail almost the whole way. (But cliff trail is awesome)

If you are terrified of heights don't do this hike

Bring sunblock and fully charged phone for a lot of pics.

I parked at the lighthouse parking lot and walked up the road until you see the trail veer left up the hill with an immediate do not hike sign. Just by pass and either traverse up the hill or go straight up which ever you prefer, just stay close to the Ridgeline and you will see the trail once you get up to the top of the first hill.

Enjoy :)

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great view of sea life park

Friday, May 13, 2016

Took the kamilo iki ridge up to meet up with Tom Tom and took it all the way to makapu'u. Some parts of this trail are definitely super sketchy. Very steep rock climbing on the edge of hundred feet drops at parts. It's not constantly like that but enough to probably make people turn around at parts. Super fun though imo lol.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

This is a illegal hike , suggest you should NOT go hiking up this trail lady died falling 500 feet.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Woman fell to her death from this trail today. Be careful too many people losing there lives on Oahu hiking where they shouldn't

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Amazing views. It took us about 5 hours total because we took two long breaks. We started at the lookout and made it to the big summit before it heads down on the Tom Tom trail towards Waimanalo. There's some rock climbing. The summits look steeper than they actually feel. It's a solid intermediate and doable if you're fit. Start early, it gets hot with no trees. Wear good shoes. The pointy rocks are tough.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

takes longer than four hours. start early. amazing views the whole time!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

On this outing, we only did the Tom-Tom portion, and coming back down the same way. Overall, great workout, great trail and great views!!!

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Great hike with extraordinary views up and down the coast line. Was able to get it done in about five hours with a nice little lunch break midway through.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Each time I go on this hike it's hard not to take a hundred pictures. When there is no where else to hike on Oahu, this place is forever faithful. No matter the conditions Makapuu to Tom-Tom is a great hike for visitor looking for sunshine. From the get go there are awesome views of Makapuu, the Lighthouse, Sea Life Park and Rabbit Island. The trail really hugs the edge and the winds can be very strong so be careful not to get swept over. Park a car in Waimanalo, near Keneke's. If you don't have a second car, wait for the bus to take you back to Makapuu, otherwise it's a long walk back.

recorded gf