Makapuu Lookout to Tom Tom [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Makapuu Lookout to Tom Tom [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waimanalo, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

private property

Trail is kind of hard to find, but just head up and you'll find it at the top of the first ridge. It can be difficult coming down in the dark, so watch your time... One technical item to note: when you reach the private property/utility building, the trail follows the southern edge of the fence and is very over grown. Be careful of rusted fences! You can do this as a one way, but will need two cars for this hike. Prior to beginning this hike it's ideal to park a car in Waimanalo. Use the other car to drive to the trailhead near the Makapuu Lookout. One of the best hikes on the island of Oahu as far as scenery is concerned. The hike is long, dry and hilly.

Makapu’u

I did a one-way hike today. Had planned on going to the Makapu’u puka hole and back, but when I finally got there I realized I was relatively close to the ridge with “Lovers Leap,” so I decided to combine them and kill two trails in one. I made up to the upper ridge and all the antennas, got to see a guy set up his hang glider (I always wondered how they got there gear up the hill- they drove!) that’s where I came across the group from Switzerland who had walked up the fire road.

As a bonus, I got an easy trek down on a fire road vice the sketchy goat trails I would have had to go back on in the hot sun. Thanks to Lyft I made it back to my car safe and sound.

Boy are there a lot of no hikers and no trespassing signs now....

I love this one. It is not hard trail with beautiful views.

This trail like Koko Head arch to the top of Koko Head is very hot! Dry dry dry so please bring water! Some in our group ran out of water and almost didn’t make it to the Puka. The Puka looks like Pali Puka, Just different view. I’ve never been past the Puka but it seems that you can continue on.
Decent hike with great views!

We started the hike but we were called down by a police officer and given a stern warning. This trail is definitely on their radars, so hike at your own risk.

Hiked only until the puka. It was challenging for me, some steep areas. The view is spectacular though, worth the heat, rocks & thorns. Use pants or you'll get your legs cut up. Go early as it gets HOT.

It can get hot, especially when dropping below the ridge and having to climb up sun-baked rocks, but the view of the water up to the puka is outstanding and the gusts off the ridge are energizing. Nice mix of ups and downs.

Spectacular coastal ridge hike! Overgrown in many areas but well worth it

If you do this hike in full, it is NOT intermediate. It is advanced. While there are sections of trail that are relatively flat and well marked along the ridges, many sections are precariously marked right along the cliff edge.

I hiked with two other very fit hikers on our first time doing the trail. We hiked one direction from the Makapuu lighthouse parking area to the residential area output; we took a few photo and snack breaks and hit very strong winds and rain with a third of the trail left, but it took us about 7 hours to complete. Recommend setting up a car shuttle so as to not need to hike back (you're really not going to want to make this an out and back).