Makamakaole Stream: "13 Crossings"

Makamakaole Stream: "13 Crossings" is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding.

Beautiful trail BUT. It’s NOT EASY!

Because of the flooding this trail could be easy if you bring the right shoes. I was false under the impression that this is “easy” so I wore my tennis shoes. I broke my leg in 3 places(shattered ankle) on the way back and had to be carried out by fire department to finally have surgery and a leg full of metal.

This app says La Parouse bay is moderate ... I do that in flip flops. ... if they are rating it compared to exertion of energy then yes, this is easy. There are rocks to climb, slippery streams to cross, loose dirt and boulders on a trail nest to a 5+ foot drop.

I would definitely do this trail again .... after I heal ... but DEFINITELY in the right shoes next time.

Lots of rock hopping and beautiful stream, rocks everywhere, climby trail, does require some agility. Definitely a moderately difficult trail. The waterfall at the end is the big payoff- swimmable but too shallow to jump in!

Awesome hike! Not sure it should be rated as Easy, but I was told there was a recent flash flood that changed or blocked parts of the trail, so maybe that’s why it was a challenge. 13 crossings is an accurate description, wear good tread and plan on crossing the stream frequently. The bamboo forest and waterfalls are spectacular. The drive out Rt 340 to get there was fun too..

Great hike. Not well marked but just look for well travelled areas on the banks of the river. challenging at times but the bamboo forest and the waterfalls make it worth it!

Great hike. I wouldn’t say it was easy, the creek crossings were very slippery, but well worth the prize at the end with a beautiful waterfall and surrounding cave.

Gorgeous!!

One of the most rewarding adventures I’ve been on! Climb the three waterfalls for an adrenaline rush!

One of the greatest hikes on the island.

Thursday, June 01, 2017