Makaha Trail

Makaha Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

surfing

beach

Not as dog friendly as I expected. A few homeless people kinda politely asked us to not be there with our kids.

Wouldn't recommend.

Not an easy hike. The entrance is not marked. Some pretty views. Mostly rocky steep steps with sand with occasional views of three ocean. Other people ascended to the top but that is not part of this trail. It is a moderate trail, not easy.

rock climbing

It is a very beautiful place. Worth visiting. Beautiful beach.

Short and sweet hike little hike. That little rock is known as Mauna Lahilahi and is definitely worth a climb. It's probably the only hike on this island that includes rock climbing but can be considered an easy hike. Once you summit, you are treated with amazing views of the Waianae Range and the western coast.

For more info on this hike, check out my blog post!

Beautiful views, unfortunately by the base there is a lot of garbage from homeless and tourists.

rock climbing

Getting to the summit is a lot of fun, some areas are basically rock-climbing, depending on the route you take. Can be a bit rough on the hands, given it is volcanic rock.

Good views I liked it

nice hike out along the shore. not up the hill which is fine since the last bit was carrying my three year old.

Hiked this with another family, between us we had 5 kids who hiked the whole way and two 1 year olds who were carried most of the way. The rock climbing was a bit tricky at parts but definitely doable, my 3 year old rarely needed a helping hand and was actually more fearful of the crashing waves than the rock climbing. We started by heading to the left when approaching, climbing up the side a bit and then descending down and around to the other side. This hike should be a loop! It was awesome, great views. There were a couple homeless camps set up so be respectful as you traverse through and HAVE FUN!

For someone looking for a hike, this is NOT a hiking trail. I got my satisfaction by walking 45 minutes to Kea'au. When I got there, the "trail" is a driveway to the parking lot. Kea'au is basically a scenic resting stop and park on a beachfront. Waves are big and beautiful. Beware. The closer you go to the water while in the grass, the swampier the grass becomes in certain areas, due to random ginormous waves. Great place to park and picnic.