Laie Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Laie Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Laie, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

private property

Ridge Trail, great views of windward shore, Hawaiian flora, waterfall and swim As Poohaili St. bears left walk through (or around) the second gate and continue on dirt road. Continue past taro fields on the left and a green pump house on the right. Go across a cement bridge to a signed intersection with trail. Turn left and up through a yellow gate. Climb along the broad ridge pass a wooden post gate connected to a barbed wire fence. The road follows a fence line then curves left to a junction. Turn right up the eroded path. At an open flat area keep right uphill on a very eroded section of the trail. Continue on trail through a grove of Cook Pines. Descend briefly then climb along the left side of the ridge to a junction. Turn right then descend to a waterfall/swimming hole (Left continues to summit). The waterfall is the turn around point.

Ran it yesterday (15 sept). Don’t get discouraged by the entrance, it looked like a lot of bush whacking and not a great trail but after you get into it it’s actually a very open and clear trail. I’m used to single track in Utah where you are always running through bushes on either side of the trail but this trail was always wide enough to not touch any of the beautiful flora. At the first sign in the trail, turn left. Someone scratched it off but left is the correct way to the falls (and summit). It got very very muddy around mile 2.3 and the roots get very slippery. There is a stretch that is completely covered by trees growing from one side of the trail and bending over to the other. I had to duck down at many times. This was also the muddiest part, but while watching my footing and head slowed me way down, it was very enjoyable. Wasn’t ever steep, nice gradual climb that was only slowed by the elements. Fun trail!

the trail head starts near the end of the paved/ dirt road, which has many no trespassing signs. the warning signs are marking private property on both sides of the road, not the road itself. the trail is easy to navigate and is frequented by motorcycles. the top of the trail is muddy. the hike/ run is better than the falls which are small. don't expect waimea.

all in a great run.

The best you'll love all the guava and all the different kinds of trees.

I loved this hike. Not too long, not too short. There were interesting adventurous parts, but not too much where I felt unsafe or exhausted after the hike. I was interested in what I was seeing and doing the whole time. The mud doesn’t start till about half way through, and is not bad. The waterfalls were fun to explore. The pools are just deep enough to swim around in. I really enjoyed my overall experience. I would do this one again!

The hike to the summit is challenging. The waterfall is so so.

As everyone else has noted, it is so muddy, but so much fun. Even though it was hot, I made sure to wear a water resistant long sleeve layer to fend off mosquitoes as they are everywhere! This hike is technical, so bring some trail running shoes or hiking shoes with some sort of rubber grippy part on the bottom. You will get muddy and wet, so maybe step into some mud to start your hike off right!

Be sure to bring a change of clothes if you choose to jump in the swimming hole :) If you want to take pictures of the waterfall, I recommend bringing a wide angle or fish eye lens to really capture it!

Awesome beautiful trail. The waterfall was big and beautiful. Varied hiking terrain, wonderful views, very cool different type of trees. The trail is well maintained in terms of no underbrush however it is very very muddy. Expect to get muddy and you will be fine! We used hiking poles to help with the slippery muddy trail and we super glad we had them with us! We used the ropes to hike down to the bottom of the falls. Don't forget to get your permit! Overall a wonderful hike..would do this one again!

Amazing hike and beautiful waterfall at the end. Super muddy but so much fun! I decided to wear water shoes...and it was a great idea! Definitely a long hike...so be prepared! We had plenty of snacks and lots of water! I would definitely do this hike again!

Greatest hidden gem on the island. Also secluded and extremely lightly traveled. My fiancé and I were the first ones on the trail for the day and it had just turned noon when we started. So we definitely used the privacy for some “honeymoon” time when we got to the waterfall.
-Tarzan and Jane

It was a nice hike with lots of different terrain. It does get muddy in some spots and slick in others. We didn’t really encounter many fruit flies and they were pretty much for only 10 seconds at the most at a time. Plus, they were very small like gnats so nothing to worry about. Waterfall is small, there are a few biting mosquitoes when you get down there. All in all an interesting hike with nice views. The views weren’t breathtaking but beautiful with ocean in very far distance. It was an easy enough hike and the trailhead has a small rectangular sign so it is easily missed but is after a farm and has a gate to it. Enjoy the serenity!

It’s a long hike up, bring water! And watch out for the fruit flies.

Laie Falls was pretty great. The beginning of the hike was not so pretty but once you hit the woodline it was just so beautiful. The falls itself was quaint, it's the awesome people you are with that makes it fun.

Beautiful, if sun is out, take a lot of water and snacks , great views

This is about as long as some of the ridge hikes I've done, so I was skeptical about the 4 hours. We totally did this in 4.5 hours, which included a half hour at the falls and a few detours on the way back. The fruit flies were horrendous so if I go back, I'll take the other reviewer's advice and go in the spring.

Friday, October 13, 2017

We went after reading several reviews. The permit was easy (and free) to obtain at Hawaiian Resources, if I remember correctly. This is the second hike we did on our honeymoon, but was double the length of the pillboxes hike. We both agree--well worth it!!

It was somewhat muddy when we went but it there were a few pop up showers throughout the day too so it never really dried out.

Although I'd say we are more novice than accomplished, and I am 25 weeks pregnant, we found it challenging but certainly not impossible. Take more time if you need to, take lots of water and some snacks, and just be careful. Also, bug spray and sunscreen are a must!

The views are breathtaking, the pools and falls are lovely and cold (perfect for taking off your shoes to soak tired feet whether they are preggo feet or not). We did run into the fruit flies but it wasn't unbearable.

We'd say the hardest part was the part closest to the falls just because of how narrow and muddy some parts were. It was a long one for us but, again, well worth it!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Enjoyed the falls, nice and secluded taking about 2 hrs up and 1.5 down. Spent a good 1.5 hrs at the falls eating lunch and exploring.

Note: If you do this hike say Sept-Nov prepare for rotted fruit on the ground and lots of flies. This occurs the last leg of the trail about 15 mins from the falls.

Also, you must have a permit to be on the grounds as it is private property so stop by Hawaii Reserves Inc in the Laie shopping center for your permit. It's right next to Ace. See picture for contact info.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Great hike. About 2.5 - 3 hours. We did in it just over 3 but took some off shoots. Markings were pretty sparse but still easy to find your way around. Great workout depending on your pace. About 60% shade. Need permit to park close by. We parked by the basketball court along the fence. The water fall was fairly slow and water too muddy to swim. We had a great time.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Beautiful hike!

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Beware of the road walking to trailhead - a pitbull ran out of one of the house and bit two other hikers walking by. Luckily she was able to put her foot up to block him. Just a heads up! Trail was good - definitely a little rough in some areas as you got closer to the falls where it really narrows.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

About 2 hours up and 1 hour down. Definitely worth doing once or twice. Great views and a refreshing swim once you reach the waterfall.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

We left at 8 am and parked at the church-owned park at the base. We hiked fairly quickly and it took us about an hour and 20 mins to reach the waterfall. Beautiful views and varied terrain along the way. The only big negative was the massive amounts of flies the last quarter mile of the trail. Perhaps we hit fruit season (Sept 6?), but all the little fruit that had fallen on the trail was fermenting and attracting swarms of fruit flies. Hold your breath and go quick through that part! Waterfall was refreshing and lovely! Overall, it took us a little over 2 1/2 hrs, but we also jogged out the last bit.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hiked up for about an hour, hour and a half with my mountain bike. Took about 15mins to get back down. Really fun and fast trail. Take caution to hikers going up.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Didn't get too do it today because it requires a permit I was un aware I needed...

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Crap

Thursday, August 03, 2017

This is a great hike for those not expecting a quick down and back. The views are spectacular and there are cherry guavas lining most of the trail. I met some people on the trail that gave me some false expectations on how far away we were so the entire time we thought we were almost there. My girlfriend and I were moving at a great space and finished the entire loop in about 3 hours. We left at 430 and thought we could make it there and back before the sunset. We were wrong. We even ran a bit on the way. Make sure to bring plenty of water and give yourself plenty of time before the sunset. Again, the views are amazing!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

the trail is novice with amaxing views of the countryside up until the summit. it cautions you to proceed with caution amd hikers should do just that. take it slow and make it to the falls. please beware that the rope you entrust is tied off to a loose log and you should use steadfast tree roots and small trunks to assist you in you descent to the falls.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Had a blast with this hike. Gone around a lot of Oahu and this was the most secluded. We started around 7am. We take our time for photos so it took about two hours to the falls. It's appropriately rated moderate. Gets harder towards the end, especially close to the falls. The falls are nothing huge but nature can always be appreciated. We took time to swim and cool off in one of its pools. Had the whole falls to ourselves for an hour and a half. On the hike back out we saw a lot more people. As always, the earlier the better!

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Muddy close to waterfall. Great trail.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Fantastic, worth the beautiful drive around the island. Parked on the road, you can also park at the park down the road. Trailhead is searchable on maps, kind of sketchy walking past a bunch of signs that say "keep out" but at the same time there are directions to the trailhead. You hike through a bunch of different terrains, uphill all the way until you reach a fork with a sign towards the falls. Climbing is a bit steep but guide ropes help you, nothing too hard. Fantastic views and scenery. Falls have a great swimming pool that's refreshing after the hike. Highly recommend, for a longer length hike.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Beautiful hike through a variety of foliage and trail types. Cool pool to swim in at the base of the small waterfall.