Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Love this trail..... panoramic ocean views for most of it.... Great rocky climb.... 1500 ft elevation gain in a mere 2.35 miles.... I do it in trail runners no prob.... you may wanna utilize a more substantial boot however

Hard core bouldering. Did okay with my heavy treaded vibram five’s. started about 7:30am which gave the ascent some good shade. glad i did, the decent back to the car was hot as sh!t. Enjoying a cider from maui brewing after. Amazing hike.

Great hike...bring water

Hard hike, lots of rock climbing and no shade. Nice view of water but no big view when you get to top. Bring lots of water!!! We ran out

Almost made it all the way. It was a great hike. Definitely needs to be done in the early morning. Loved seeing the windmills so close. If we was here longer I’d do it again and make it all the way

Great Hike with views the entire way. A comfortable 3 hours. Recommend starting in the early morning hours to beat the sun. You are exposed the entire time. We took 2 16oz water bottles and was plenty for us.

Views are ok, being up next to the windmills was unique. The hike is very exposed, no shade. If a hot day take a lot of water, and start early. The hard rating is because it gains 1,500 in two miles, and the heat/exposure. Glad I did it, but no real reason to do it again in the future.

You can’t get better views

I loved this trail. I had assumed it was runnable but it was mainly my chunky rocks with a few runnable sections. I did see a guy running it though. I still loved the experience. Bring more water than you think you will need and start early. There is zero shade. It took me two hours and I hike all the time.

Well used, easy to follow. Very nice view of the ocean. Not hard, moderate with good shoes and good shape.

What a great way to start a day! Hitting the trail by 8 am, we were just a few that morning on this spectacular hike that has a lot of points of view to offer. The hard rating is genuine as there are many sections covered with rolling rocks and sometimes very steep as well. It was hot in the first half so the high winds at the top sections were more than welcome. If rather difficult to run climbing, the descent is just lots of fun (just watch your steps) - it took us less than 2 hours with many stops

(Oh and by the way, we met severals police force officers armed and K9 squad looking for thieves hiding in the trail - they just burned out a stolen car in the trail parking lot. Better lock and not let anything valuable)

Another fun and beautiful hike. I started the hike at around 1pm and finished at 3:30ish. I also hiked Waihe'es Ridge Trail (amazing) before Lahaina Pali on the same day. Careful at Ukemahame Trailhead (West). A person had their car broken into as I arrived and a police officer was assisting. Apparently this is a prime spot for thieves since it is off the old highway. Difficult to find trailhead. If coming from West side, it's to the left and before the tunnel. If coming from airport (East), then it's past the tunnels at the first pullover spot with trees. The trail is easy to navigate and the signage is adequate. Like others have said, you're hiking along a mountainside that's exposed to the sun. Bring sunscreen and water. This is a great hike when you can't go on the Northside (like Waihe'es Ridge Trail). I found enough places to rest with either the shade or cool winds. I like the terrain. You'll be climbing on large and medium-size rocks and along winding ridges. Great ocean views and really cool end spot. Once you see the windmills on the hike, know your another .5 mile or so from the finish. Once you finish, you're nearly underneath the Windmills and there's a gravel road they use for maintenance, etc.. Apparently you can keep going and complete the East side but I hear the West- side of the hike is more scenic. Plus I had to finish at where I started (Ukumehame West Trailhead).

Such an amazing hike, right after a couple of days of rain the landscape transforms into nice grassy slopes! The uulei is still growing strong, and I found 6 more Aalii growing on the Mauka side of the Kaalaina gulch! And the views are so relaxing!!

Definitely need to get an early start. Great views but essentially no cover; lots of sun exposure. Bring extra water and snacks just in case. Steady climb, but nothing too steep. Be wary of stepping on a loose rock.

I am a 23 year old male. Pretty active and don’t hike normally. It took me one hour 15 minutes to get up to the top coming from the west side. The first 30-45 is stepping rock to rock, climbing in certain spots. The second half is a little smoother more trails less rocks and incline. The way down took me hour 25. Keep in mind I did his solo so I didn’t have anyone to slow me down. I started at 8am, spent 20 mins at the top and was back by 11am. I read some views before that kinda made me reconsider going but here’s what you should know. For the most part it’s big rocks you’re stepping on. Some sections has very loose rock. Some parts get extremely narrow but for the most part it’s smooth. There’s like 2 sketchy ridges with big drop offs but I never once felt scared or worried. Some spots you have to almost climb up. The weather was super hot for the first 45 and cools off a bit at top. There are more shade spots than you think and I went on day that was 79 and sunny. I brought 2 water bottles and a Gatorade and that was plenty. Also I wore nike skateboarding shoes and that wasn’t an issue. It’s not an easy hike that’s for sure but if you take your time and make sure you have your next two steps planned it will go smoothly. That being said my legs are gonna be sore tomorrow.

The views were amazing. Definitely not for beginners. Bring lots of water because the shade is sparse and it does get hot. Go early in the morning.

This was a fun moderately technical and strenuous hike with awesome views. It can get very windy near the top. There are two interesting educational boards near the windmill that explain the geography and how a windmill works, unfortunately both are very faded. Since others warned about car break-ins, I parked in a beachside lot just to the north of the trailhead. I figured parking in full sight of the highway might make the car a less attractive target. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this strategy since no one else parked there and you must cross a busy highway to reach the trailhead.

great views.

Really tough trail! Very hot, bring lots of water and sunscreen for sure! Be ready to sweat!!

Yesterday we took this hike and the weather was great overcast with a nice breeze. This is definitely not for beginners as the trail changes quite often from rocky narrow paths to areas with switch backs and narrow paths on the side of the mountain. We made the uphill assent in an hour and a half with very few stops other than photo stops and water stops. We would recommend this to the avid hacker and to those that want a challenge as we consider ourselves intermediate hikers that enjoy the occasional experience of a true challenge. Now the descent was another thing this is where we may have underestimated the difficulty of this hike the loose rock and constant down hill was very challenging for us and took as long as the assent with more stops and a few miss steps that had we not been in good shape could have been bad. Over all a great!!!! Hike and would do again.

My wife and I are in pretty good shape and mid 50 in age. This was a great hike and we got a great workout in! We did this hike 4-14-18 and it was cloudy and breezy so the weather was perfect and not overly hot. We had liking sticks and hiking shoes which we thought were a big plus. The trail is well maintained but a lot of rocks to deal with; old lava flows through the gulch. When we started out on the trail, we missed the three arrows stating “ go left” so we did an extra .2 mile there and .2 back once we got to a fence. Not sure how we missed it. It is really cool getting to the wind turbines. Very breezy and a cool humming noise. Reminded me of the movie Contact. We saw young couples with tennis shoes and even a 7 year old girl that did the trail. I just think it is rated hard because some of the trail is rocky and it is quite an incline. Give yourself 3.5 hours up and back at a minimum. Loved this trail !!

Hot, rocky and challenging but great views after the first half mile. Also interesting to see the power generating windmills up close. Pick a cloudy but not rainy day or go very early. Also, bring your trekking poles as much of this trail involves climbing over small boulders in the trail.

Great views after the first half mile. Challenging trail because it is hot and the trail is really filled with small rocks and boulders. Many sections felt more like bouldering than walking. But, anything worthwhile requires effort and the views are spectacular and location convenient!

Gorgeous views the entire way. Very gusty winds and no cover on the way up so wear a windbreaker/hat!!

My wife and I are visiting Maui from Denver, Colorado for our honeymoon. We are avid hikers and were pleased to find an amazing trail with some elevation gain. The views along the whole trail are breathtaking. We would definitely recommend this highly!

The hike was great with beautiful views of the whales. Our car window was smashed though and several things stolen. The officer who took the report noted that it happens there frequently. Please be warned regarding this! FREQUENT BREAK INS IN PARKING LOT!!

Great hike I would suggest good hiking shoes as the lava trail is tough

January 2018, 9AM, temp 74°f, solo hiker age 44, male, 210 lbs and 20+ yrs hiking experience.

This is a fabulous hike! Every step has breathtaking views. It was hot in January so always bring water. No issues with the parking area I just parked close to the road. My age and experience I would rate this a medium hard. Bring a hat there is no shade (which is why you have awesome views). Ankle support hiking boots if you have them there is a lot of ankle twisting potentials. A small first aid kit would be good to have because it is rocky so falls will result in a boo boo. Sun screen and a sweat rag would be good to have. There is a beach area 1/4 mile away (take a right out of the parking lot) it's a good place to soak those sore feet when your finiahed.

Great view to go uphill. Good for trail running but just be careful to your ankle ;) a lot of rocks. Bring water , very hot .

The views are nice on the way up, but otherwise a boring hike. Our car was broken into in the parking lot, so it’s best to leave nothing in your car, leave the windows down or car unlocked to avoid a broken window.