Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead

Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead is a 4.3 mile out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Uphill the whole way, and that's not the worst..downhill back home is murder on your feet and knees. It is like waking a dry riverbed, lots of boulders and rocks. Wear sunscreen, there is no shade...

Did this hike a year ago at daybreak. Beautiful views.

Maybe we're spoiled... it wasn't a bad hike we just expected a little more vantage points. 3.5/5

Open exposure. No trees. Definitely recommend a start in the morning as it is VERY hot. Awesome home. Lots of different sized rocks and challenges along the way. Steep incline as well. About a 3 hour round trip.

Rocky. Steep. Great views! See tiny whales down in water if you are lucky during rest stops, otherwise you are watching trail to decide best path. Hike early, little to no shade & bring plenty of H2O. Started at West entrance where entry signage was poor. No gate.

A bucket list hike & what a view! Trail is steep starting out, but not as bad as anticipated. Others advice to start inland was much appreciated, as the wind was to my back. Took a little over 3 hours with time to take pics and take in the views. Only mistake was parking at the turnout on the highway. No signage at all, but there is a parking lot 1/4 mile in, but close the gate behind you.

A very hard trail but worth the effort. Breathtaking views and a real sense of accomplishment when you finish. A must for all serious hikers.

Bring snacks, plenty of water and walking sticks!

This was a great hike. I started on the west side and headed northeast to the other trail head.
Please note that there is a gate to get in the other trail head off of southbound highway 30. This gate is unlocked but you do have to open it.

This was definitely the hardest trail we did on our trip, but the views were spectacular. The trail is a continuous hill, with some rocks. Bring a lot of water. We brought 2L each, and it wasn't enough. We had 4 hours to complete this hike, and it wasn't enough. We had to turn around about 3/4 of the way up. I'd allow 6 hours to do the whole out and back.

Spectacular hike with breathtaking views of the mountain and ocean below. I started at 7:30 am and was happy I did - very little shade so bring lots of water. The ascent was much easier than the descent on account of the consistently changing rocky surfaces. I wore minimalist trail running shoes and recommend something that offers a bit more stability and cushion for the descent. If you go early you'll likely see several whale pods (3 in my case). If you're staying in Lahaina this is a must-do!

This trail is fairly difficult because it is an uneven surface. Lots of boulders to walk on and climb up. Definitely need tennis shoes at least. Beautiful fees of the ocean, windmills and mountains.