Lahaina Pali Trail

Lahaina Pali Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Wailuku: Both trail heads are accessible from Honoapiilani Highway (30). The eastern trail head lies 2.5 miles south of Wailuku Town via an unimproved road adjacent to the junction of Kuihelani Highway (380) and Kihei Road (31). Hikers should arrange to be dropped at the end of the un-improved road as there are no parking facilities and the land is privately owned. The western trail head lies 10 miles south of Lahaina and 3 miles west of Maalaea Harbor. The parking area is accessible from Highway 30 at Manawaipueo Gulch about 0.25 mile north of the Pali tunnel.

Awesome trail with beautiful views. If you look to your right at the base of the hill on the kihei side before you begin climbing up the hill you will see a trail that leads to the right through a gate and leads you 6 miles through rainforest to the most incredible view you have ever seen. If you do take this trail be aware that it is incredibly steep and storms can move in fast.

great trail! went from ukamahame side. the trail was rugged and hot due to lack of wind. on the way down on the maalea side, there was little relief from the sun, but had a nice breeze. unfortunately my sole of my shoe came off at the 1.8 mile marker, so just had the upper to protect my foot, but finished without even a blister or cut on my foot.

Bring LOTS of water and good shoes.

Small gravel lot beside the main road, pull in and if you have a jeep or 4-wheel drive you can proceed through the cattle gate up to the trailhead parking.

The trail is very clearly worn / marked; it is lava rock, steep and challenging. Trail or hiking shoes definitely recommended as tennis shoes may leave you with sore feet due to the rocky nature of the trail. By buddy and I went through a Combat Bar and 3 liters of water, Gatorade each and we only did the 5 mile version (to wind turbines and back), not the full 10 miles. It's a simple out/back trail to do the full 10 or you can do whole trail one direction and have a 2nd car pre-parked at either lot to return to your start (5 miles).

Very enjoyable trail and terrific views, just be ready for the rocks and SUN (no shade).

We only did a bit more than half and we started at the "end" side. It's steep in places and very rocky but extremely satisfying as a hike. We hiked to the wind mills at the top and turned back (to our car). Be sure to bring an emergency poncho or rain coat as we got caught in a HUGE downpour on the way down. Needless to say, this isn't a tourist flip flop hike, wear boots or hiking shoes.

fantastic trail. we went midday and with sufficient water it is totally fine even without much shade along the way. very well marked. just challenging enough. spectacular views. straightforward footing.

Beautiful views of the ocean the entire way up. Not an easy hike, but but a great half day activity and worth the views! If you don't do the entire hike, make sure you at least go to the 2.0 mile marker for the best view of the gulch.

I did this hike one morning when I was off from work. Recommend starting at around 7 in the am (earlier the better). Can get very hot when the sun is out. Start on the Maalea side. Awesome views all along the trial. I suggest bringing plenty of water and sunscreen. The turbines at the top are huge. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike.

Amazing views, great uphill (ankle breaker descent), and perfect on a cloudy, non windy day. Bring water! The wind turbines are worth a look.

We hiked from the Maalaea side to the wind turbines and back after starting at the highway, not the parking lot. The terrain is incredibly rugged and very steep on this side of the ridge; we had to stop several times to catch our breath. What's more, the wind was intense, bordering on brutal at times as we got closer to the top. There is no real cover out here, so be mindful of your sun exposure, as well as the sand in the wind.

Once you pass the first mile or so, the trail becomes much more manageable as you approach the turbines. At the top of the ridge, the views are great! Unfortunately, the wind was easily blowing 60+ mph the day we were there which made enjoying the view rather difficult.

The way down is easy as cake until you get to the insanely rocky section, which can be very hard on your feet and ankles as you try to find your footing on the rough rocks. This hike will make even an experienced hiker sore. All in all, I liked it, but it was a little tougher than I expected.