Lahaina "L" and David Malo's Grave Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Lahaina "L" and David Malo's Grave Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kaanapali, Hawaii that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

This trail is closed to the public.

Would’ve labeled this trail as HARD! Trails were misleading and the hike was more than 2.3 miles round trip. More like 4 total! We took the switchback trails in and then swam through plants and bushes down starting on the bottom left of the L if you’re looking toward the ocean. It cuts off about half the time but it is a lot harder. You’re basically walking through very tall bushes and plants and getting through it means stickers and scrapes and cuts. I’d suggest wearing good hiking shoes and padded socks. I wore regular tennis shoes and thinner socks and wound up with a blister. I ended up walking half the thing with one or no shoes on. Oops! Bring lots of water as well and go as early in the morning as possible. Or evening on a cloudy day as the Maui sun beams on you almost the entire time. The views were great and I’m glad I didn’t turn around when I thought I was going to die. Although it was a good hike I don’t think I would do it again. Checked that off my bucket list!

Confusing at first but well worth the view. I think the solar panel farm is new so the map shows the trail going through it (could be wrong about this). Anyway, you must go around the solar panel farm. I would recommend following the fence clockwise to the top and taking a short walk through the brush to connect with the trail. Google satellite view came in handy when doing this to see the trail.

When staying in Lahaina, this hike is the quickest access to the hill that overlooks town. Standing beside the red-earthed “L”, there are gorgeous views of the coast, up to Kaanapali, down to Olawalu, and out to Lanai. The hike itself is a good workout, completed in a couple hours if you keep up the pace. The trail was very lightly trafficked, as new growth covered many sections with leafy (and sometimes sharp) grasses and plants. Observing the changes in the trees as you ascend is a nice feature of the climb. Just past the midpoint, low brush gives way to a fragrant eucalyptus forest. Continue upward to the final section of switchbacks, revealing the “L” on your left as you face the mountain. We would definitely do this hike again, with the suggestion to go in the morning. Pack water, as even early in the day you are hiking toward the rising Hawaiian sun.

Nice view while hiking. A bit tricky to navigate around the solar panels but after the panels the path was pretty decent. Only negative was the trail just simply ends- with no great view. The great views were during the hike- not at the end. Took the kids (14,12,10,4) all did good but because it gets steep- had to carry the 4 year old. Also needed to pack more water- had 4L and we finished all of it (and wish we had more).

I would label this trail Hard, but it might be because we missed the correct path and ended up scrambling complete inclines and bushwacking a good part of it to get to the L. I definitely recommend following Greg's directions which is the 2nd comment on this thread. Just make sure to look for the path markings once you reach the Eucalyptus trees. We thought that was the area to go right and find the switchbacks but it wasn't and got us a bit off track. We ended up walking down the correct path on the way back and it was very pleasant. gorgeous views throughout. Starts off basic but gets beautiful. Definitely worth it.

Nice views but nothing special.

There was nothing that closed this trail - no fence-hopping or anything. great hike with a great view of Lahaina and Kaanapali.

The trail to the "L" is not open to the public as it is on private land owned by the state of Hawai'i. Twice a year the boarding students from Lahainaluna High School hike up the mountain and they use lime to outline the "L" which is associated with the high school. The stripes within the "L" signify local sporting championships and the stars represent state championships. The grave site of David Malo is a spiritual site to the high school as well as to native Hawaiians. David Malo was a gifted Hawaiian scholar, a graduate of Lahainaluna, and not a missionary.

Hiking the highway halfway up is rough . We did that then switched to switch backs that were much easier. Nice view. Retrospect wish we went beyond the L to top. Make sure to bring lots of water. Super hot

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Unfortunately Trail was closed. Apparently u need to be invited by an alumni. Too much trash & disrespect by visitors. What a shame but I applaud the powers that be for maintaining the island beauty & historical culture. Mahalo

Sunday, January 22, 2017

This is a really nice moderate hike to do on any day. Follow the instructions given by Greg T to find the trail and park your car at the little lot close to the power station on the right side of the road. For most of the hike you are exposed to the sun so take a hat, sunblock and lots of water.

The L near the top of Mount Ball is NOT made of plastic bags like someone suggested. The students lay down lime couple times a year. Go several more minutes further up to the top of the mountain and enjoy the view of the ocean, Lahaina and even Ka'anapali. A missionary named David Malo is buried up there and around are many plaques placed by boarder students from the high school. Sometimes you can catch paragliders taking off from the top. This was an enjoyable hike up and back.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Was about to hike this when an Internet search revealed that this trail is closed to the public. Only alumni of Lahainaluna HS and their guests are welcome.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Is this trail closed now? There seems to be some confusion as to whether there is an actual trail or not?

Monday, July 18, 2016

To get to the trail. Park at the little field on the right of Lahainaluna Rd, just at the high school. Hop the fence and hike towards the power station there will be a single track trail to the left at the power station. Follow this trail to the wooden cover and take the first cane road up the hill. This will change to a single track trail. Once your at the next cane road follow that till you get to the bottom of the eucalyptus trees. The trail will be marked with orange tape. Go up, there will be a split in the trail. The wiki wiki trail goes to the L, but steeply. The trail going right is longer but has switch backs. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

My wife and I tried to do this trail on our honeymoon. I don't think it exists. We were driving around and near the high school like a couple of creeps trying to find the trail head. Never found it. Don't waste your time on this.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

hard to find the trail. many adjoining trails, ended up in thick brush. after 4 hours, much adventure and no L:(

Thursday, April 07, 2016

hyxdsjtkb fudge brownies are cancxer inducing

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

We tried to hike this a couple weeks ago. Never made it. Do you have to climb a fence. Is the trail open for public use?

Friday, February 06, 2015

I have done this trail many times over the years. The impression given is that one is trespassing, but one can park the car some distance below the school and sneak past. From below the top of the L looks about 800 feet above the sea but it is actually about 2100 feet. The trail is also steeper than it looks, so it is a fantastic workout. Even if you are very fit you will sweat buckets. I do the trail in swimming shorts - cotton shorts and underwear would get very heavy with sweat - and then go straight into the sea when I get down. The route takes a big zig-zag across the old sugar cane fields, the key being to take the long horizontal trail to the south past some mango trees (about five) then straight up to the top of the fields via a steep track. From near the top right corner of the fields one takes a small trail through woods up lava runnels, which eventually lead to the top. I am hoping to do this again tomorrow and it looks as though quite a lot of vegetation has been cut back in the upper part of the trail.

Some of the hiking guides are pretty bad re this trail. One talks about the "L" being 30 feet high and etched into the rock. It is actually a clearing several hundred feet high, and the white letter was made with white plastic fertiliser bags. So you know those guide book writers have never been there. Looking up from sea level today, it looks as though those white bags have been removed.

Monday, September 23, 2013

My wife told me I couldn't do it so I decided to proof her wrong, half way up the mountain I started to think she was right. However I kept to it and mastered the trail. I recommend food and water the base of the big L makes for a great picnic area. And if you still have a little energy to burn go a little further and see the rest of the mountains.

Monday, July 23, 2012

We made that climb our bitch. It was so much fun. Me and my buddy Andrew are totally awesome and killed it. Alot harder than it lOoks so water an food I a must. We went past the L and it was totally worth the climb for the view.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016