Kuliouou Ridge Trail

Kuliouou Ridge Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1945 feet

This trail that rises almost 1800 feet before peaking on the spine of the Ko`olau Ridge. It's a great hike and a tough run, for it is steep, but it is very run-able and offers a great reward in the form of spectacular views. The locals say that you're suppose to run to the top, come back down to the picnic table, and then run back to the top again.

10 minutes ago

Took the pup out for this one, solid hike. He's an older Aussie and did great with the elevation and stairs at the end. Depending on your fitness/hiking level - this is either on the easier side of moderate or hard. We were fine up until the stairs at which point I was impatient and wanted the hike to end. I agree with another review that there are easier ridge hikes with more beautiful views, but not all are dog friendly (all of my reviews mention dogs). It was pretty dry so we were able to breeze in and out, you'll definitely need shoes with a good grip if it's been raining. Lots of exposed roots that could turn an ankle if you're not careful. Took us about 2.5 hours including time spent at the top to take photos and relax.

Great hike. Clear day and the maintenance of the trail was fantastic. Beautiful all the way up. Bring water and snacks. Enjoyable for all ages. Pace yourself and soak in the views. Bring a dog if you have one.

My wife scheduled this hike. I didn't research before we went. The beginning was great. Covered and a bunch of switch backs. Then you come upon the stairs. Be ready for that. I took my 2 dogs and they had a blast. We enjoyed the views both during the trail and at the top. You can see Deadman's Catwalk, Kokohead, and Huenama Bay.

The cool breeze and view at the top make the steep ascent at the end worth it!