Kuliouou Ridge Trail

Kuliouou Ridge Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail that rises almost 1800 feet before peaking on the spine of the Ko`olau Ridge. It's a great hike and a tough run, for it is steep, but it is very run-able and offers a great reward in the form of spectacular views. The locals say that you're suppose to run to the top, come back down to the picnic table, and then run back to the top again.

Amazing amazing hike. Views from the top are just spectacular. And the variation in the forests was so cool. The other thing I loved about this hike was the smells, some floral, some woody. Overall just awesome. Do be prepared for some cardio work at the top with all those stairs.

Muddier than I was expecting but a very pleasant trail.

Excellent hike: 3-4 hrs after enjoying the top, kept a steady pace and the trail was well maintained. There is a small set of picnic tables about midway up, but you can just enjoy food at the top too. You’ll experience varying type of foliage, with pretty decent cover from the sun for 65% of the hike.

There is a way back down thru the valley if you are adventurous but that’s rated as hard. (The route is pretty narrow along the cliff side with ropes in other parts) This one is manageable, but not for the unfit (the stairs at the end will wear you out, and a few areas get muddy and slippery)

about 3hrs total round trip with breaks. really nice moderate hike that is mostly shaded 3/4 of the way. no ropes needed as the hike is basically a gradual incline till you get towards the end. near the end there are stairs but nothing compared to kokohead. watch out when it rains as it does get muddy and roots are slippery. overall one of my favorites

Very scenic and complete hiking experience. Good, steady climb that gets steeper towards the top. It was cool to hike through various eco-systems... from tropical to forest. Great views at the top! Only downside is that you don’t get many big views until the last part of the hike due to the tree density.

The trail is well established and heavily travelled. Bring good shoes and be prepared for mud if there’s been recent rain.

Overall, great hike... one I would definitely do again. Highly recommended.

This is one of the most beautiful and complete hikes I have ever done. I have done most of my recent hikes in the North East and I think this hike is better than Mount Washington! There are beautiful look outs, various different biomes, and the diversity of plants, difficulty, ans views are extravagant! It usually rains at the top so bring good shoes. REMEMBER to sign in at the bottom!

Cloudy and super windy today so the view at the top was not as good as it could be. But the trail itself is really nice with lots of interesting plants and wild flowers. We enjoyed it better than pillbox trail.

Spectacular views of Diamond Head.

Beautiful hike with an amazing view at the top, but the stairs towards the end are killer so make sure to pace yourself and bring plenty of water.

Beautiful hike. Can be tough at times, but well worth it once you get to the top. Be prepared for lots of steps towards the end!

1/14/2018-Weather was pretty good and trail was dry. Came across 65 groups/ solo hikers but mostly on the return trip; on the trek up we only saw 4 groups/solo hikers. Parking was very limited so we ended up parking at the bottom of the road. We made the round trip in a little over 2.5 hours. Recommend packing at least 1L of water, wear sunscreen, and enjoy the view!

that view! there is street parking in front of the houses on the way up, took us about 20 min to look for a parking spot not to far from the start of the trail, we ended up parking at the beginning of the street the hike entrance is, then walking up. my husband had my 25lb kid on his back in the carrier and he had a workout of a lifetime. the path is steady so its pretty self explanatory as you proceed. uphill zigzags. we spent about 3.5 hours round trip. spent about 20 minutes at the summit to admire a job well done!! this was definitely a challenge for me because im a novice hiker so my fitness level isn't quite where it should be to breeze this hike. but this is the one hike im glad I came to! its just amazing!

Great hike and the view at the top is awesome. Also there is a picnic table about half way that would be a good picnic spot.

Our favorite trail on the island!

Really nice hike!!!

This was a fun hike! I also purchased a camping permit, thought there were no designated campsites. I chose a fairly level area towards the top, close to the pavilion rest spot. The start is a little spooky because it’s covered in greyish pine needles—such a cool experience!
There were a few others out hiking, but only enough that I saw people about every 20 minutes or so. There are tons of stairs (and roots that act as such), so be prepared for a little leg burning—the views are spectacular, though! There are several spots that will take your breath away
There is even a lookout bench about half way up.
Be careful with the weather and sunset! I got caught in a decent rainstorm right as I reached the summit, and it was pretty slippery coming back down. It’s also not a hike that should be done in the dark because of the obstacles along the path and the slippery nature of it all in the rain.
Just keep an eye on things, and you’ll be in for a heck of a treat!

First mile is pretty easy then the roots and mud make it a little more challenging. Amazing view!

One of my personal favorite hikes , even with all the mud and spurts of Hawaiian rain showers! We recently went on an overcast, cloudy day, yet this made the hiking more peaceful and beautiful.

Rainy, wet conditions: Take time to carefully watch steps as roots, stairway, muddy trail is extremely slippery!

Going up is at time very tiring, and stairs are killer for novice hikers!

If you are going simply for view at end of hike: do not go on cloudy overcast day.

Beautiful hike. Not dangerous, but it definitely isn't an easy hike. View is worth it!