Kukui Trail

Kukui Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

An incredible experience of Waimea Canyon's west side, this Kokee State Park trail drops 2,000 feet to the canyon floor. Travel through a forest of Kukui and other upland trees stopping at viewpoints of the canyon and distant waterfalls along the way. River at the bottom. Camping by permit at Wiliw

Beautiful views! I was dreading the way back up as we kept getting lower and lower. However the hike up wasn't as bad as I anticipated. My legs were shot after all of the descending. Bring bug spray for sure! Will not recommend to an inexperienced hiker.

Very hard but the view is beautiful :)

Nice views, intense hike. Super hot with long exposed stretches where the sun just bakes you. Bring plenty of water. We went through 2 liters each and were wishing we'd brought more.

This trail is very difficult. It's 2.5 miles down into the canyon and then 2.5 miles straight back up. The trail itself is very steep and uneven, but the views are spectacular! Definitely wear good shoes and bring lots of water. The best views are about halfway down so if you're not a super experienced hiker you can always turn around at that point. I would not recommend this for inexperienced hikers.

Sorry to say it, but this is not an easy trail. It is beautiful but you had better have the right footwear and be an experienced hiker.

What a hike!! Not for the weak, that's for sure!

Total smoker but well worth it. 2300 elevation on the way down- and you guessed it- 2300 elevation gain on the uphill. We were fortunate for a clear and dry day. Start early! It will save you on the heat and humidity for the return trip. Absolutely beautiful views throughout the entire hike of the canyon- but make sure to always watch your step. The river at the bottom was great to relax and snack for a bit. We did the trip in roughly 2 1/2 hours- bring lots of water and snacks (you will be hungry and in need of caloric intake I assure you) one of the best hikes I have ever done- for physical exertion and the views! Happy Hiking!

Great hike with beautiful canyon views and a nice swim at the bottom.

Unique canyon views through the hike, taking in the vastness of the Little Grand Canyon from below its walls. Look for the mile 8 road marker - there is no parking lot. Stick to the right at the start of the nature loop and look for that trail head sign to pop up quickly.
Red dirt stretches make it a dry day hike without exception. Coming back up wasn't as bad as I thought, in fact the downhill was tougher on my body. At the bottom, the river is a nice place to cool off and play on the rocks. Definitely bring bug spray for mosquitos near the bottom (when you hit jungle) and at the river. Well worth your time and effort!

Stellar. Mostly exposed to the sun and incredible canyon views for the first half on the way down, then covered under trees until the end. Don't stop at the treeline though, because the wildlife is in the woods; I saw a herd of 14 wild goats cross the trail down there. The mosquitoes at the river were vicious though--I got a dozen bites within 2 minutes and turned right around as fast as possible!

Beautiful hike. This is very hard. The way down is hard because it's steep but the way up is much more challenging. We only saw 3 people the whole time. Great hike to see the beauty of the canyon.

This was AHMAZING!!! Lightly trafficked due to the intense uphill climb. I actually thought going down was more difficult due to technicality. Beautiful sights!!!

Pretty difficult hike for beginners, aka me! Double knee replacement in 2015. Lot of elevation change, beautiful scenery, beautiful day. Will be better prepared next time, 4 1/2 hrs