Kolowalu Trail

Kolowalu Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

We hiked this on our way to Mt Olympus today. We were delighted to see a tiny Poison Dart Frog along the trail.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

It was very rocky and very steep. The ground was dry so I didn't have any trouble, but if there was rain it would be extremely slippery. The top of the trail almost required climbing, so I turned around. I went on a Saturday and didn't see a person the whole time!

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Friday, April 08, 2016

Monday, March 14, 2016

Rocky.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

This is a great hike. My first ridge hike with city views. It was not that hard! I loved it!

Monday, February 08, 2016

By far one of my favorite trails! Amazing workout and a constant incline! Doesn't take to long and is usually not crowded. Nice view of Manoa. Can be muddy so watch the weather!

Friday, January 08, 2016

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Friday, September 04, 2015

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Steep finger ridge trail that took us about 4 hours there and back, with a 30 min break. Once you reach the top where it meets Waihila ridge, take a left and hike for 2-3 minutes and you get a great panorama of all of Manoa Valley and the Waikiki skyline. This truly completes the hike on a clear sunny day.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Took a more direct approach to the Koolaus via Kolowalu trail, a steep finger ridge trail that connects to Wa'ahila Ridge. Can be strenuous for a novice hiker or someone who is not in good shape. It pretty much rained the entire time which adds more thrills ( and spills) to this short journey to the Koolaus ( Awa'awa'loa is a hill on the range). Lost phone connection a few times so my one-way track is incomplete.
Total miles: 3 Elevation gain = 2,400 feet Total time = 4 hrs. 21 mins.